Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moving Bindings

Poster: A snowHead
This may send some people running for the hills, but here goes. Picked up a set of skis on eBay to trash in the park, if there's stoney pistes or if it's bizarrely cold in Devon over winter! The general thinking was that I want to be kind to the new K2s I bought. Trouble is the bindings are set ever so slightly too big for me to get proper forward pressure for my boots when the heel piece is as far forward as it goes. Now I don't have much knowledge on the subject but is there any adjustment on the toe (if so is that only for certain bindings) or am I looking at having to remove and redrill?

If it's the latter is that something straight forward for someone sensible that does lots of woodwork (providing you don't drill too deep)? If it's all too tricky then it's it something that Snow & Rock do? Otherwise it's a bit of a schlep so I'll just have to get done on first trip.

Caveat: I know general advice is to take it to an expert, but there are plenty of snowheads that do their own gear and you have to learn some how!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SnoodyMcFlude, what's the distance the binding will move if you move the binding to the other end of its travel (as wide as it will go)?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mosha Marc, not sure, will have a look later. What would that tell me?

Btw from what I can tell the bindings are Rossignol Axium Race.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mounted flat or on plates?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SnoodyMcFlude, It will show how far away from the old holes you could drill the new ones.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, mounted but some weird plate thing between them that I can't tell what it achieves.

Not sure if this link will work but photo here https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/mrjanyeo/30686262724/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SnoodyMcFlude, those look like some weird plate to allow entire heel and toe to move for easy gross shop adjustment. Quite how that actually works I have no idea but I am sure the internet does.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, yeah the front bit seems separate from the back...but both are fixed to the ski as far as I can tell. Would there be any issue with me removing one to have a look? I.e can I easily screw it back on with no adverse effect.

Also if I do end up moving them what can I fill/repair them with. They cost £50 and are intended to be abused so I'm not precious about the look, would a bit of fibre glassing do the job or would that risk water ingress and delamination?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is not advice but I'd take the bindings off and see if that allows the plate to move. Maybe do one and keep other whole for comparison?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could try filling the holes with Stixall (£5 from DIY merchants). Very sticky, dries flexible and totally waterproof. I fixed a waterbutt 2 years ago - good bodge!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can buy binding hole plugs for a few £, I got some from spyderjon. Pretty sure that binding will need re-drilled to move the toe back, and I don't think the plate is doing much. A ski specific drill bit with flange stops you drilling too far, or you can risk it with some masking tape round a normal bit of the correct size.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@balernoStu, sums up what I was thinking, need to move and the plate is mostly pointless. Will probably move while binding forward anyway as it's quite far back.

To reduce risk of buggering it all up I'll probably resort to the wisdom of Dad! He's got a pillar drill so should make it a bit simpler to not completely ruin them.

Bit of Sticks Like sounds like a plan, work on building sites so plenty of opportunity to appropriate some...although I'll shortly be ordering some waxing supplies from Jon so maybe get some plugs too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Golf tees work well to fill old holes and loads of colours to match the skis. Remounting them is easy. You can get a drill bit collar to stop you drilling too far or just use tape, once you wrap it enough its surprisingly strong, you would need to be drilling with your eyes closed to go too far.
Google for the paper jig which you will likely find on the tgr forum, once you see how easy it is you will do them all yourself.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geeo wrote:
Golf tees work well to fill old holes and loads of colours to match the skis.

That's not a bad plan. Do you glue them in/fibreglass over or just cut them so that they're snug?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I cut them to a snug fit and epoxy them

This might be the right jig, print it off actual size and check it's all to scale using the measurement on the print out
http://www.powderguide.com/community/forum/get_attachment/anhang105.html
latest report
@SnoodyMcFlude, The plate is a simple lifter that has 2 separate halves. In the box the bindings arrive in there are usually 2 sets of screws (well have been for my daughters skis) one set for with plate, another shorter for without.

The rear plate sits on the top of the back of the front plate. If you are just going to move the binding slightly forward, just move the heel piece, and leave the toe. The heel piece actually moves 20mm approx in its track, so work out how much you want to move forward, leave about 10mm at least distance between the new holes and the old holes. You don't really need the jig as the plastic lifter can act as a jig, just make sure its centred on the ski

I always use B&Q wood glue (in blue container) to stick the plastic plugs

If you want the paper jig, sent me a pm with your email and I can send it, if you want some plugs I can post some as have a bucket full.
snow report
@Zorrac, thanks very much. All sounds a lot more straightforward than I thought, will have a look at removing one tonight and working out where to move it. May end up moving the whole thing so that I can get them nearer centre to help with park use and riding switch.
snow conditions
@Zorrac, so ebay purchases usually arrive in factory wrappers with all accessories? Puzzled
snow conditions
@under a new name, don't be silly

I was trying to be helpful, my post implied the bindings can be used with or without the plate...thats all

@SnoodyMcFlude, if you are moving the whole thing (toe and heel) then a paper jig would make it easier
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

Caveat: I know general advice is to take it to an expert, but there are plenty of snowheads that do their own gear and you have to learn some how!

I don't want to sound like a goody two shoes here or whatever... but maybe there is some merit in giving something to an expert, rather than taking a punt yourself, when it relates to a device that basically on one end of the scale is going to stop you wrenching yourself a severe knee injury and on the other end of the scale is going to prevent you slipping out of your skis at a really inopportune moment on a mountain.

I mean yes, they're a relatively simple concept. It's just that, for me... I'm well up for doing my own wax and edges, but I'd rather people who know what you're looking at do my bindings. There's an old adage that 'you don't know what you don't know' and maybe there is more to know - through knowledge and experience - about mounting a set of bindings than is obvious.
ski holidays
dp wrote:
I mean yes, they're a relatively simple concept. It's just that, for me... I'm well up for doing my own wax and edges, but I'd rather people who know what you're looking at do my bindings. There's an old adage that 'you don't know what you don't know' and maybe there is more to know - through knowledge and experience - about mounting a set of bindings than is obvious.

I'm a risk taking renegade, learn by doing, innit.
snow report
Have a crack at it, what's the worst that can happen!

............other than injury or death
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, my thoughts exactly Laughing Given that previous 'learn by doing' has included changing the brakes and driveshaft on a car that I'm happy to drive at 100mph+ I'm happy with my level of risk on looking at bindings. I may be laid up in 3 months regretting that decision...or I may happily ski for many more years and adjust many more bindings. As long as it's my own bindings that I'm playing with them I'm fairly happy with the call.
latest report
I have a crack at my road bike, just using common sense.

Mind you, the odd rattle at mph does make me wonder if I should have splashed on some Loctite Embarassed
snow conditions
Something odd happened to my "50"
ski holidays
@Zorrac, sorry, I thought you meant he had all the screws... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy