Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help on choosing Atomic skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I`m 180 cm/78 kg, advanced piste skier, not so good off piste Smile) I`m looking for a new slalom skis.
can anyone compare Atomic D2 Race SL(2011) and Atomic D2 3.0 SL (2016)? Is race rocker a big deal? Can anyone comment on ski length - 160 or 165 cm?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
way too short, if you're an experienced skier i'd be looking for something much closer to your own height!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ Not for a slalom ski - 165 should be about right (sorry I know nothing about models though!).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
^ Not for a slalom ski - 165 should be about right (sorry I know nothing about models though!).

I was about to type this but got beaten to it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In a stiff SL ski 165 is appropriate for this size of skier. Race rocker is slight and intended to make the ski a little easier to manage without losing edge grip & stability, probably a good thing for recreational skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies!

I also think that 165 for slalom is OK - not to short, not to long. Maybe if its proper stiff race ski it will be harder to bend, but I`m trying to ski as aggressive as possible. I am recreational skier(about 20 days/year), but I really like the way racers ski Smile) Of course nowhere near their physique, I`m aware of that.

I`m skiing now Fischer Progressor 2008, but it`s getting old. I`m looking for something more solid. Anyone with experience with atomics latest models? What would suit me best?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@draco, I would suggest that the longest size is designed for people a bit heavier than you so the 165cm ones should be fine.

Current race technique isn't really about being aggressive, it is more about keeping the ski carving cleanly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjs
my be not aggressive, but "explosive" is the right word. Of course I like to make clean and graceful turns, but if I want to make them a little faster, IMHO, I try to use more strength in the middle of the turn, more work for the legs to get in and out of the turn.

I may be completely wrong though Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The D2 is the top end punter (non FIS) ski and the two models you list are the old and new versions of the same ski. I can't compare the SL but I have skied the old and new GS versions. It was on different trips not back to back but I couldn't tell you the difference, "race rocker" is a matter of about 1cm early rise at the tip I think, there was no change in the feel to a normal mortal like me (stand back while ski geeks tell me how much difference that 1cm makes Very Happy ). So if you get a good deal on old stock of the old version I should go for it.

I also tried the redster XT. It is worth a look if you are not totally slalom focussed, it is slightly wider radius like a recreational piste ski, but with race style width and stiffness. For me it is a better ski for recreational skiing unless you love short turns ALL the time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Col the Yeti wrote:
... the two models you list are the old and new versions of the same ski...

yeah, I was just wondering if there is a significant difference between 2011 model ski and 2016 model ski? Is there a leap of ski making technology lately, because I haven`t been watching the market in the past few years Smile
Are the new ones better, or the "good old goldies"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The marketers will tell you there is s huge difference but I don't think anything major has changed in race style skis. As I say I couldn't tell any major change in the GS flavour of the same ski despite "race rocker". Maybe if you ski them back to back on the same day you will see a difference but it would be more a matter of preference rather than either is "better" I would expect.

In accordance with the N+1 rule you could get both and see Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So this is one way of solving the problem - buy one set of ski and just ride them Smile Avoiding comparing to other models. May be there is not much difference from old to new models rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy