Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to soldeu, Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Just a couple of questions, any advice woud be very much appreciated.

We wil be staying in soldeu for 7-8 weeks, I am flying out, but OH will be driving to Soldeu from the UK on the 28th December, he will go via the French border in to Andorra, but from previous experience we know the French border can close due to the avalanche risk etc.

Does anyone know an alternative route if this happens, we've only driven from the UK to Andorra in summer, or by hire car from Barcelona Airport in winter, from Barcelona we've always used the spanish border.

Also can anyone recommend a company for European breakdown cover, which includes Andorra, and is vald for ths length of time.

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The road down to Aix Les Thermes and Toulouse is swept pretty well by the snow ploughs, especially on transfer days (Saturday).

TBH I suspect this route is the one most likely to be open, after heavy snow fall.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have never experienced the road being closed, but after heavy snow fall the police will stop cars at the turn off up to Pas to check they have winter equipment (chains or tyres).
They stop you there if you don't.

Pas to Soldeu wouldn't be a problem if it snows as you can use the tunnel, which cuts out the high pass.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is a long way for a single driver. Personaly I would be just as worried about the motorway over the massive central
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He's not concerned about being the only driver, he's travelling over 3 days, and has driven to the Alps many times, just if the French border into Andorra is closed, which it does occasionally.

Just wondered if anyone knew of an alternative route, in case of a problem.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If the road is closed on the French side he could drive through into Spain and come up from the other side.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you wanted to reduce the drive time and come in from Spain you could get the a ferry to Santander, surprisingly it still takes 7hr apposed to 12-13h from Calais. Could actually be quicker if you were planning to stop over night anywhere in France. Not sure about costs, you got to compare fuel, ferry and tolls etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mortonia wrote:
If the road is closed on the French side he could drive through into Spain and come up from the other side.

(which indeed is the only alternative route, and much less likely to be closed in the case of road closure... but that itself is an unlikely possibility)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm aware it's unlikely, but just wanted an idea of the route to take if he does need to drive into Spain.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy