Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good beginners resort within 60->90mins Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - Hopefully someone can help.

I am trying to help by boss out and arrange a long weekend ski trip in Jan. It needs to be suitable for beginners and a short transfer from Geneva. I'm afraid I've been hammering The Tarentaise valley since the 1990's and I don't really know the area's suitable. I am thinking Portes du Soliel Morzine area. Does anyone have any recommendations for my boss and his daughter for a long weekend intro to the best sport around.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bluenatic, for a long weekend, to a point, in some ways, it's the stuff other than skiing that's important - i.e. Anywhere with bunny slopes (which pretty much means anywhere) will be fine.

Collateral stuff maybe more important, i.e. Pretty aesthetics, nice restaurants, etc.

Les Gets I think has its beginners slopes slightly higher up hence better snow, Samoens defo does but logistically not so simple.

Chamonix ticks many non-ski boxes but beginner slopes are at village height. May or may not be an issue. Actually, a bit left field but Les Houches also has beginner slopes at top.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chatel or La Chapelle D'Abondance about 90 mins.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La clusaz?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Houches
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saint gervais
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bluenatic, Les Gets would be a good option. A few nice hotels and its just over an hour, easy to arrange transfers, and plenty of places to eat at lunchtime and in the evening if not eating in a hotel. Good ski schools to try and book some private sessions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd agree with Les Gets too. It's a straightforward place, logistically (not true of La Clusaz, for example, or St Gervais) and Flaine fails the "attractive" test.

And if they're beginners, get lessons with BASS or one of the other recommended schools there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for Flaine, though as Pam says, it's a bit of an ugly duckling....but it has good skiing and is a snow trap, due to an advantageous microclimate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

is a snow trap, due to an advantageous microclimate.

I'm never convinced by that. I am based in a resort at 1650, same as Flaine, and not far away as the crow flies, and if anything I've found snow conditions worse at Flaine - certainly no better. Though that's based on only a few day trips over the years.

I think for a first trip it's nice to go somewhere prettier. Once people are hooked, they don't care so much about the architecture!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Le Grand Bornand.

Good for beginners and picturesque. Smaller 'neighbour' to La Clusaz. www.legrandbornand.com
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

an advantageous microclimate

I am slightly skeptical as well. I do think however that at lower altitudes Morzine often has more snow than e.g. Chamonix - but then it gets hit be the prevailing storms first, typically.

Also, Flaine might be good and there's a smart new hotel http://totem.terminal-neige.com/fr/#!hotel-flaine/sejour-montagne - I think it was me who introduced the "attractiveness" test so I can equally withdraw it wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone, appreciate your advice. Les Gets sounds good, so does Flaine. So I'll weigh up the pros and cons and help him decide.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Les Gets might have a better choice of ski schools - and the quality of instruction is probably the most important single factor for complete beginners.
ski holidays
@bluenatic, I would double check where the beginner's lessons are typically held in Les Gets (I don't know for sure). If possible up on the Chavannes plateau, then good. If at village level, not so good (potentially). Flaine has the distinct advantage of height. Might also be worth looking at Les Carroz...(also Grand Massif) e.g. Milk Hotel.
ski holidays
All lessons I've ever seen take place at Chavannes, 1500-1700m. It's the perfect area to gradually improve, both sides of the slope offer excellent variety of incline.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

is a snow trap, due to an advantageous microclimate.

I'm never convinced by that. I am based in a resort at 1650, same as Flaine, and not far away as the crow flies, and if anything I've found snow conditions worse at Flaine - certainly no better. Though that's based on only a few day trips over the years.

I have always heard about Flaine's snow record, but it is backed up here: http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/our-blog/why-does-flaine-have-such-a-good-snow-record/

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 6-12-16 17:54; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@langball, that's perfect then. I had a perception that there were meeting points and lessons in the village, which is potentially not so good.

In fairness Morzine also a candidate on that basis but another 15 mins driving, and given beginners' requirements, for little advantage.
snow report
@langball, that's perfect then. I had a perception that there were meeting points and lessons in the village, which is potentially not so good.

In fairness Morzine also a candidate on that basis but another 15 mins driving, and given beginners' requirements, for little advantage.
snow conditions
@under a new name meeting points are often at the main lifts at village level, but they go straight up the bubble to Chavannes mid. In fact the lower parts of the run down to village are totally unsuitable for beginners....steep, busy and patchy snow.

Am sure we are all biased towards our own little micro climates but LG skiing area is also largely on the north face of a bowl. The resort itself lying in a narrow valley, being almost completely closed in at both ends.
Here's a shot of some of the north facing bowl from last week. There is still a thin base despite 4 weeks without a snowfall, strong foehn etc.

I tried to have a break at this lovely picnic table but you need to be 8ft tall to get on it at the moment.

snow report
@langball, I haven't paid much attention to ski school meets for beginners in the PdS since I did my Morzine seasons in the late 80s/early 90s...
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd agree with Les Gets too. It's a straightforward place, logistically (not true of La Clusaz, for example, or St Gervais)

Just on St Gervais, you can stay in a couple of hotels at the midstation (Le Bettex 1550) which makes the logistics stupidly easy. We like Hotel Fleche D'Or:
Hotel is 100m from bubble midstation and ski hire shop. 150m from ESF office and meeting point. You can ski in/out from the Ski/boot room door.
There are really nice green and blue pistes around the hotel.
The terrace and restaurant have one of the best views in the french Alps (I'm not exaggerating - Mont Blanc, Dome de Gouter, Chamonix Aiguilles right in front of you).

The only downside is that the nightlife/shopping etc is minimal without getting the bubble down to St G and you need a taxi back up in the evening because the bubble stops running. Totally doable but not ideal if you like to hit the bars every evening.

If the latter point is not a problem then I think it could be a perfect solution for a beginner ski weekend. Oh - drive is about 75 minutes from GVA.
latest report
Flaine is a monstrosity.

Go to Les Gets.

Pretty and very French.
ski holidays
I think that Les Contamines would be a good shout!
snow report
I like both Morzine and Les Gets, which both offer a very good place to start skiing. Les Gets takes it for me for pure ease of learning I feel with a very good beginner's area which also has a few cafés surrounding the initial slopes to give you facilities of staying around there while learning without having to venture away for food, loos etc. Also you can ride the gondola back down to village if you're confidenceand skill isn't up to skiing it.

But I'd favour Flaine over both, particularly the hotel Totem. It is literally right in the middle of the snow, you just have to walk out the door and you're on the beginner's area. You can ski easily back to the ski room entrance and the balcony round the front side overlooks the slopes.
There's obviously much more possibility of going in and out of your hotel depending how your skiing is going and also some very good places for lunch located all around the village, most of them with walking access too.
If additional even very early beginner's have the chance (skills allowing) to ski from the top lift on a blue run back down to the village. The main lift will also provide pedestrian access and return to village, enabling any visitor regardless of skills to reaching the higher point of the ski area and get a real feel of the ski environment with views right across the alps toward Italy.
I don't feel you can beat it for an introduction's to skiing.
snow conditions
@ski3,
Quote:

you just have to walk out the door and you're on the beginner's area

Been a long time since I was a beginner at skiing, but this (or similar elsewhere) would swing it for me.
latest report
I'd say either Morzine or Les Gets, which depends on how you read between the lines of your bosses request...

If he wants to get some time in before a business ski trip, so he's not full Bambi, Les Gets.

If he's organising a work weekend trip, where there will be as much drinking as skiing, Morzine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plus one for Morzine. I think Morzine is a bit cheaper for accommodation than Les Gets. We've done a couple of good long weekends there (Wed night - Sun night) and it's always worked well, apart from raining on the Sunday two years on the trot
latest report
Quote:

I think that Les Contamines would be a good shout

I agree but I fear people will think me biased Very Happy
snow report
How about Combloux, I have had two long weekends there. Picturesque and flattering runs, uncrowded, cheap and convenient.
snow conditions
I'd probably go with Les Gets as others have suggested, nice little town, easy slopes to learn on and generally good snow record. Just be careful where you book your accommodation as some places are a fair old schlep from the main lift base. Beginners lessons are definitely at Chavannes too, my OH learned there and there is a small magic carpet and then some very easy green and "piste mauve" runs to get going on.
ski holidays
@jedster,
I would concur, and I am entirely without bias. By French standards a very attractive resort, seems well groomed, and good places to nosh on the hill without the grotesque prices of neighbouring Megeve.
snow conditions
Le Grand Bornand with La Clusaz 10mins away with free shuttle connect busses. Sensible prices too...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy