Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pacific Northwest/BC 2016-17

Poster: A snowHead
stuarth wrote:
Toadman wrote:
I would imagine Whistler is going to be really good too.

yes indeed* Super-light and plentiful snowHead

(*except for all the annoying snow flying up into my face as I was turning wink )

Faceshots, small price to pay for skiing, deep, dry, light powder. Not necessarily in that order.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Toadman wrote:
stuarth wrote:
Toadman wrote:
I would imagine Whistler is going to be really good too.

yes indeed* Super-light and plentiful snowHead

(*except for all the annoying snow flying up into my face as I was turning wink )

Faceshots, small price to pay for skiing, deep, dry, light powder. Not necessarily in that order.

Yeah, I'll put up with it! wink snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Problem is we keep getting nice deep light powder - not sure how I'm going to cope when we go back to more normal whistler "powder" - first world problems eh! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Toadman wrote:

Just looking out my window now, and massive flakes are just dumping! Good grief!! Supposed to let up but I think we are in for another week of storms cycling through. The La Nina or whatever you want to call it is being very generous to the US West Coast this year.

Just a normal winter ... we forgot what they were like Smile

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/soi2.shtml

My friends at Mission yesterday said it was truly epic!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I spent most of yesterday shoveling my driveway and my retired neighbor's driveway. Then I got out the chainsaw, and went to work on the 14'-18' 200+lb branches that fell on my neighbor's house and car! Crying or Very sad

Looks like a bit of a warm up is on the way with rising temps before the weekend for the Cascades.

Just back from Colorado and Snowmass/Telluride trip, so I missed all the fun
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in New England last weekend so missed the start of this wild system. It was fun though at Sunday River and Loon - https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2017/02/09/max-ing-out-the-passes-at-loon-and-sunday-river/.

One of my students skied Crystal on Tuesday and said it was epic. I hate her - she'll fail Smile

Now we are hoping to get across the Cascades to Red Mountain tomorrow to meet our ski club buddies from Eastern WA for the weekend. Will be great fun if we make it - all passes closed today. Fingers crossed for the morning. Hope you don't need that chainsaw again Toadman ....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why not pass her now so you don't have to speak to her ever again Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gortonator Chainsaw is coming out on Sunday. I still have a tree on my roof! Have been traveling for work. Trying to squeeze in some ski time has not been easy. Will be at Xtal tomorrow. However, with the recent snow, warm, and freeze cycle, plus winds equals a no go in the backcountry. Avy dangers are extreme in the PNW. Hope you make it out to Red Mountain. Looks like next weekend could be interesting if the next storm cycle makes landfall on the West Coast. Stay safe out there folks.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
About 1.5 meters of snow fell in the Cascade range this past week. It was followed by a warming spell, and rain up to about 2,000 meters before cooling down and snowing again, with about 15cm-20cm of fresh on top of the rain crust last night. Avy control work at Crystal Mtn. on Friday evening resulted in a NW aspect sliding to an earlier Dec. 2016 layer. Just under 3 meter crown was the result. Most of the upper mtn. is still closed as patrol does work and evaluates the snow pack. Current avy danger is rated as considerable.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wow - that is quite a slide - where was that on Crystal?

We made it to Red - it was epic. Many photos at https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2017/02/14/ripping-the-steeps-at-red-mountain/. It is truly one of my favorite places.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gortonator That's to skiers right as you drop into Powder bowl. Slid all the way to the bottom of entrance to bear pits. It's raining right now all the way to 7,000' in the Cascades. Temps should start to drop into Thursday with 5"-7" of snow on Thursday night. Looks like snow level at 2,500-3,500 feet into the weekend but no big storms. Just short waves of flurries that may add a few inches each day through Monday.

Seems like anything worth going after will be in Idaho, or head to Tahoe. Whistler will probably be heavy and wet with lowering freezing levels too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Toadman wrote:
@gortonator That's to skiers right as you drop into Powder bowl. Slid all the way to the bottom of entrance to bear pits. It's raining right now all the way to 7,000' in the Cascades. Temps should start to drop into Thursday with 5"-7" of snow on Thursday night. Looks like snow level at 2,500-3,500 feet into the weekend but no big storms. Just short waves of flurries that may add a few inches each day through Monday.

I know that area - quite a slide!

We're heading to Mission for the weekend. Hopefully a lot less rain over there and worst case is some darn fine groomers and minimal Pres Weekend crowds. Two weeks until Lech - hopefully it'll start snowing there soon!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Out in Sun Valley for the holiday weekend. They got 10" of heavy snow. But it skied really nice. Dumped all day. Couldn't see much though. Another 4"-10" is forecast for Sunday, followed by another storm on Monday/Tuesday. Was finding untracked late in to the afternoon. But my legs are good and worked, and need to rest them for a repeat of today. Very Happy

The trees were the place to be today.

But first tracks before the viz went to hell in a handbasket was fantastic

Everyone was getting after it today.

It was snowing heavily at 3:30PM in Ketchum, but the freezing level is right around 6,000'. Forecast calling for a bit of a yo-yo with the temps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The day started out bluebird, with 19" reported over the past 24 hrs. I called it early as my legs were telling me they had had enough of the powder. It was nuking when I left the mountain at 1PM. Supposed to be another 6"-12" for overnight, with another 6"-10" possible during Monday with high winds and warming temps.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
looks fantastic Toadman. Mission is recovering from rain and freeze pretty well and skied nicely today. With luck the forecast 8 inches in next 24 will come in early for some Monday pow fun
latest report
No pics today. Resort reported 4" overnight but it was snowing very heavily, and IS still snowing heavily. Was storm skiing with moderate visibility. High winds on the upper mountain, forced me to retreat over to the Seattle Ridge Chair, where I had to put up with shin deep untracked powder and zero lift lines. Took an early lunch, while it was nuking over an inch an hour, and then went back out to enjoy the refresh. Ended up back over on the frontside and the Lookout chair, and found untracked in Christmas Bowl, and lapped the same area, all by myself. No one was venturing over that area, so I just did that until my quads seized up. Hoping they get Mayday chair spinning on Tuesday and I can get in a few laps before I have to head back to Seattle. They were forecasting up to 20" by Tuesday night. But they have under forecast the snow totals the past 3 days, so I am not complaining! Very Happy
snow report
Surprisingly good day today up at Snoqualmie Pass. About 20cm-25cm of dry and light snow overnight. Snowing moderately until about 10:30AM this morning.
Sun poked out around 1PM too.

snow report
Brilliant day in the PNW. 30cm of fresh in the past 24hrs. Looks like more storminess ahead for the week as well. More of a NW flow, which means will stay relatively cold for this time of year. British Columbia looks to be favored as well.

Best run of the day at High Noon in knee deep, soft Cascade powder!

ski holidays
Another 20cm overnight in the Cascades. Winter just won't quit. More snow all week. Could be another 50cm-60cm through out the week.
snow conditions
Rinse and repeat...

latest report
PNW looking good for the next 5 days. Oregon, Washington and Southern Idaho will get hit daily & nightly with waves of moisture. Temps will rise somewhat from about Wed. afternoon but should still see about 20cm-30cm a day. Moisture will slide a bit South from Wed. into Friday as the storms come through. Mt Hood, Oregon might be a good place to explore. Could be easily over a meter by the weekend. Upper slopes could see possibly 1.5 meters over the next 5 days.

Farther out is also looking promising.
latest report
30cm last 24hr on top of the 20-25cm that fell on Tuesday. Another 20-30cm falling today and into tomorrow morning. Slight warming trend on the way from Thursday. Lots of powder out there. Looks like continued waves of moisture into the weekend, with the caveat of rising FL's.
snow report
Snowed all week so far here in Whistler. Sunshine today, super conditions
snow report
March 6, 2017 from Mt. Baker Ski Area
https://vimeo.com/207178069

We're running out of superlatives to describe the conditions at Mt. Baker so we'll let the storm total and forecast do the talking! We have reached over 120 inches of snowfall in the last 8 days and the forecast for the rest of the week is for more snow at cold temperatures. The powder should be light, fluffy and fantastic!
snow report
Looks amazing. Can't wait for Lake Tahoe next weekend
snow conditions
Yes, been a crazy good week up here. Wish I could get out of work to enjoy it. Another 25cm-35cm came down again the past 24 hrs. So over a meter and a half in the past 5 days in the Central Cascades, and over 3 meters at Baker in the past week. Warm up is coming this afternoon. FL is going to go up to at least 5,000' and maybe as high as 6,000' briefly as a warm SW flow sets up Thursday in the Cascades.

The Tahoe resorts are going to go dry for at least a 5-7 day period, and possibly longer. Temps will be in the 40's up to about 8,000'. Not unusual for this time of year.
latest report
@Toadman, as long as it doesn't rain I'll be happy! Are they good at grooming over in Tahoe? Will the warmer temps have much of an impact on the snow? I know they have decent depths so shouldn't be an issue?
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
@Toadman, as long as it doesn't rain I'll be happy! Are they good at grooming over in Tahoe? Will the warmer temps have much of an impact on the snow? I know they have decent depths so shouldn't be an issue?

They do a decent job of grooming. Heavenly, and Alpine Meadows for sure are good with the groomers. Probably will be a freeze thaw scenario on the lower slopes. Up higher might and North facing aspects might stay soft. Depending on the FL in Tahoe you can just follow the sun, and enjoy the sun, as there should be plenty of it. This weekend is the FIS Alpine women's ski races at Squaw Valley.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Toadman, oh that's fantastic I will tune in for that!
latest report
Warming trend starting right about now. FL will go up to about 5,000' later in the weekend. Saturday might be the best early in the morning before snow levels go up. Should see another 6" or so today with another 3"-5" over night. Will be heavy Cascade Concrete, but should still be smooth and creamy to ski on for a few hours. Longer range the storms will be warm with high freezing levels with mostly rain to the tops of the Cascade range. Up North in Canada, they may have slightly lower freezing levels but still rain/snow mix possible on the higher slopes.

Longer range, (10+ days) could see some moisture and slightly cooler temps, but too soon to say. Models seem to indicate the HP lurking off the Pacific that's blocking storms over Cali, and thus allowing storms into Utah and Colorado as well may break down. As with any long range forecast, too soon to say. Fingers crossed for a late March snow bonanza though! Very Happy
snow conditions
@Toadman, please can you keep this thread updated with weather for the Tahoe area as well? You will be better at predicting than me lol
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
@Toadman, please can you keep this thread updated with weather for the Tahoe area as well? You will be better at predicting than me lol

Perhaps in a California weather thread as I'm not entirely sure Tahoe geographically qualifies for this one?
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, PM Sent. You should be good to go.
latest report
@stuarth, there isn't one. Hence asking in here.
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder,
I'm applying the angry rules of some of the other weather threads where they get all upset if it drifts off topic/geography! wink I think by any definition only the very top of California is in the Pacific NW.
Anyhow sure you'll be good to go in Tahoe as they've been hammered with snow this year - Even if it's sunny not snowy, Tahoe's a great place for spring skiing too - though I learnt he hard way there not to go skiing in a T-shirt even if it is 25C! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
It's been mostly warm and wet the past week in the PNW. Not much to write home about, other than lots of rain. Temps cooling a bit and storm coming Friday evening. W SW flow with this one. Going to be accompanied by some moderate winds, and a bit of a warm up as the storm comes through. As it passes, the temps will drop into Saturday. Forecast of around 5mm-10mm of precip. over the 24 hour period. Could equate to about 20cm of snow on the higher slopes. Farther North up into Whistler should fare better with the temps and the snow. But about the same amount of precip forecast. The wind will be a factor. Possible closures in the Alpine. Clearing from Sunday into Monday, with possible next storm coming in mid to late next week.
snow report
Was at Bachelor a week ago. A damp few days came good on Sunday - superb day. Report/pics at:

https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2017/03/28/mid-march-at-mt-bachelor/

There's a huge base so this should be an excellent Spring season. Passes on sale for $199 Smile
latest report
Crystal pass on sale through May 31st for $695 plus tax. Prior years pass price was $800 + tax. So I plunked down the cash. Kind of a no brainer. Can use it for rest of this season. So here's hoping to some nice conditions until end of season.

On the weather front looks like cooling temps from tomorrow into Thursday with freezing levels down to about 3000'-3500'. Could be 10" of snow over 48 hr period. Possibly more at higher altitudes. Won't last long as temps will start to creep up going into weekend. Might be a wet one but hoping that some cool air stays around a bit longer.
snow conditions
Last weekend was rather fine at 49 Degrees North. Gotta love a solid Spring powder day with what seemed like our 10 best friends!!

https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2017/03/31/spring-pow-at-49-degrees-north/

It's a great mountain, and practically unknown even in Washington State.

Probably just a day trip to Stevens this weekend. Hope the precip holds off ...
latest report
Surprisingly good conditions today in the Cascades. 20cm of fresh reported this morning at Crystal Mtn. Almost no crowds early on. Skied some great lines. North facing aspect held lots of wind loaded soft powder. Temps stayed cool, and it was snowing all morning into early afternoon. Sometimes quiet hard. Visibility was off and on. Managed to hit the rope drop into Southback and scored some deep powder for my efforts. Not too shabby for early April.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy