Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for a long weekend with a good variety of red runs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
I'm new to Snowheads and am impressed by the wealth of knowledge here so thought I'd tap your brains for some ideas on where to go for a long weekend. We're both intermediate level, so would like a range of difficulties in red runs and some blues just to get back into the swing of things. We'd like to go fly to Geneva, as this seems easy and cheap, and go somewhere with short transfers from the airport. We've been to Chamonix a few times and really liked it, but we're too familiar with the runs now so want somewhere new. If it's pretty, that's a plus, and if we don't have to carry our kit too far from hotel to slope that would be even better. We're thinking hotel not apartment as it's only four nights and definitely somewhere with great food and some apres ski action, but not too yoof oriented! It would also be good if it were at the reasonable end of not too pricey. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads

We go to Pila (Italy) from Geneva, but I am guessing 2.5hr transfer is not considered short? It would fit the bill and is mostly ski in/out if you stay up in the village. We use Carole on pilaski.co.uk and she does everything other than the flights for you to sort out.

Maybe though you would be better in PdS area. Had a great trip there centred on Morzine but other choices of Chatel, Avoriaz & Les Gets.

Many more will be on offering there best places.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megeve with SB Ski staying at Chalet D'Antoine.
Great skiing, excellent food in the chalet, close to Geneva.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was about to suggest Tignes. Very convenient for GVA and plenty of intermediate skiing. Not pretty though. Les Carroz might fit the bill.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a great long weekend in Les Gets. Local minibus transfer, small hotel right next to the main lift, and lots of skiing on red runs with Morzine linked if it becomes too boring. The town is pretty, there's a decent small terrace at the foot of the main slope for an apres drink and a couple of bars for after dinner drinks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I was about to suggest Tignes. Very convenient for GVA and plenty of intermediate skiing. Not pretty though. Les Carroz might fit the bill.

This.

1 hour from Geneva, access to the whole of the Grand Massif and plenty blue & red pistes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes is three hours from Geneva. Do you mean Flaine?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PlanetKimbo, Morzine for the Portes du Soleil area
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
honved wrote:

Apologies. I was referring to Les Carroz d'Araches.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PlanetKimbo, Plus one for Morzine. I've had two very good long weekends just skiing the Morzine/Les Gets side. Don't miss Mont Chery if you do go there. You have to take a little land train to get to it on the other side of Les Gets, but it's worth it: some really nice reds and a black that's quite manageable Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pick your own:

http://www.savoie-mont-blanc.com/en/offre/recherche-station/ski-resorts/18/~~~~~~~~~~/(page)/1?view=map
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you everyone for your ideas. I'd thought about Tignes, but as you say, not pretty.

Having checked with my friend, she's thinking that as Chamonix is only 1 hour from the airport 2 hours is the max transfer time she'd consider so that rules out some of the places mentioned. She has suggested Courmeyer in Italy, which looks like it fits the bill, even if it has all the hallmarks of being eye-wateringly expensive (why are all the chic places like this?) Has anyone been? Any tips? Am I being unfair re the priciness?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to Cormayeur last Easter. It was good, but the snow was getting sticky and horrible by then, especially on the South facing slopes. Cormayeur itself wasn't too expensive, as I recall, but the pound was stronger then.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JoyZipper wrote:
honved wrote:

Apologies. I was referring to Les Carroz d'Araches.

Yep. It was the original suggestion that my passive agressive zinger was aimed at Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PlanetKimbo, St. Anton and the surrounding villages. Lots of reds. St. Anton itself my be to much Apres action, but the surrounding villages have good offers.
snow conditions
I'm struggling to think of any reasonably sized station that doesn't have a good variety of reds and blues Puzzled

Personally, I'd probably go PdS and probably aim to stay in Morzine.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone.

I can see that there's quite a bit of banter on here!

I'll let you know what we decide, but this has given us something to think about.
snow report
As an alternative check out flights to Salzburg. If the timings fit, there is good skiing in Flachau or any of the surrounding villages - about 45 mins drive. Bus transfers available too.
snow report
@hammerite, but as said elsewhere Salzburg flight times possibly not optimal for a weekend trip.
latest report
@under a new name, which is why I said "if the timings fit."
ski holidays
Verbier? 1.5 - 2 hrs from Geneva. Some great skiing and even some of the itineries (sp?) aren't too tough. Great for a long weekend.

PdS - as above

St. Anton/Ischgl/Mayrhofen an hour or two from Innsbruck
snow report
Another vote for les carroz (access morillon samons and flaine).
Plenty of variety, mostly reds and blues in Le Massif area with more advanced stuff in flaine.
Big Big plus is transfer time. 50 mins from Geneva airport. Go Massiff or Skiddy Gonzales operate shared transfers. Drop and pick up at hotel. We skied 5.5 days by arriving resort Thursday midday and leaving 5pm transfer for an evening flight. Maxed our skiing time. We were impressed.
snow conditions
Another vote for les carroz (access morillon samons and flaine).
Plenty of variety, mostly reds and blues in Le Massif area with more advanced stuff in flaine.
Big Big plus is transfer time. 50 mins from Geneva airport. Go Massiff or Skiddy Gonzales operate shared transfers. Drop and pick up at hotel. We skied 5.5 days by arriving resort Thursday midday and leaving 5pm transfer for an evening flight. Maxed our skiing time. We were impressed.
ski holidays
Hmmm, Verbier, nice easy relaxing train transfer, stay in Le Chable it's cheaper, great skiing...
latest report
booked for les gets for 3 nights and 4 days in march. transfers with easy bus only £30 return for both of us and take an 1 hour max from geneva. Problem i had was finding accomodation as most understandably want you for a week. we are staying in the Chalet hotel regina which is right in the middle of the resort opposite the chairlift.
latest report
@PlanetKimbo,

Think you might enjoy St Gervais. Megeve (linked) would be good but pricier. St G is an attractive town with a good range of bars and restaurants (and a spa) - it is a calm place but very nice to spend a few evenings. If you like your apres noisy its probably not right! The sking is great for intermediates - plenty of reds and blues with some good tree-lined pistes for bad weather days. I've done it in just over an hour from GVA but 1:15 would be more normal - easy drive in bad weather too.
snow conditions
Morzine/Avoriaz is good, architecture would be described as different rather than pretty! St.Gervais/Megeve/Les Contamines etc is a great area, particularly if you have a car & very pretty in places too, but snow record can be a little doubtful around St Gervais/Megeve particularly lower slopes. Flaine is also good, though you won't get a 50 minutes transfer time if staying in Flaine itself as the last 25km or so is winding mountain hairpins etc. The 50 mins transfer time would apply only to Les Carroz/Samoens
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy