Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Disabled ski apartment help / advice.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm new so don't shout if this is posted in the wrong place please. This is a long shot so let's see if it works!

We are a small group of ski addicts who get together 3 or 4 times each season but on this next trip we have a disabled freind (who won't ski) coming with us for the craic, and fair enough why not hey.

So we are trying to find (and failing) a ground floor apartment, chalet or complete house etc which will take 4 / 5 adults with ease (and a dog) for 3 weeks of January, dates totally flexible. Ideally Bourg St.Maurice area or surrounding resorts. Obviously the combo of easy access, ground floor and dog don't lend themselves to many places, but with no set dates or budget you'd think I'd be able to find something ? Erm no.

We just need easy access from outside to inside without going through a maze of steps, corridors, lifts etc, but we are literally happy to go where the best accommodation is available. If anyone knows of anything suitable please let me know and thank you, thank you, thank you!

Poppy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@poppyhill, Welcome to Snowheads. Trying contacting Marcellus on this forum or at livetheseason.com. He sources seasonal accommodation and might have some ideas. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm on it, thank you!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great. Let us know how you get on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just checked, nothing on the website that could work but I've emailed as well.
But any other ideas fire away as the clock it ticking and this is on me to sort.

Thanks

Poppy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Or contact disabilitysnowsport who will use suitable accommodation for their mountain trips.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@poppyhill, maybe think about somewhere that also has easy access to non-skiing activities for your friend too. Does it have to be ground floor or will somewhere with a decent lift be suitable if there wasn't long corridors to negotiate? Also need to think about bathroom access. Is your friend in a wheelchair? Although not in Bourg St Maurice, my friend Melanie has access to a lot of apartments in Serre Chevalier. www.eurekaski.com. Even if you don't find anything that looks suitable on her website, she may know of others. Serre Che has some great facilities for disabled skiers should your friend want to give it a try.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were last March in Ste Foy staying at apartments Etoile de cimes whish may have something suitable.

The building bridges the road with the reception on the north side of the road that I think has stairs and lifts to access internally. But the south side of the road has direct access just via corridor on the same level as reception, also one floor below which you could walk straight into from the interior carpark, which is the level we stayed on. I'm certain that others there had dogs with them. The south part is virtually new with modern standards of access in the communal areas too, so I wouldn't anticipate difficulty for the type of use you're asking for.

By all means send me a pm if you want to discuss as it's a little difficult to fully illustrate by written description only.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for all your help everyone, more progress made in one evening then all week!
I will follow up all leads on the phone tomorrow, but carry on sending those ideas.

Amazing everyone, thank you.

Poppy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok, so after lots of help and advice (thankyou) I've spoken to a few providers and it would seem in narrowing down the search, what we technically need is a ground floor / slope side apartment - that will allow a support dog (not a guide dog). So our disabled friend can have direct access to the outside world to sit and view or for us to manoeuvre them to other locations easily.

Does this open up any options anyone's knows about ? Dates and budget totally flexible.

Many thanks

Poppy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@poppyhill, you could try putting in a request on the chalets direct solutions room. It's quite flexible in terms of allowing preferences rather than requirements for location and dates. I'd make the requirement for disabled access and pet friendly very clear at the start of the message.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski2freedom may also be able to help
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Serre Che has some great facilities for disabled skiers should your friend want to give it a try.

Yep, this is good advice! Lots of the best UK para-skiers use Serre Che, and with good reason. I know that the Plein Sud was popular with at least one of them. A ludicrously fast skier and all round lovely person!

Your friend should also be able to get up to the mid-level restaurants for a good lunch by cable car, too! Le Bercail would be my pick.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@poppyhill, it is illegal to refuse an assistance dog in accommodation so that should be the least of your problems.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@poppyhill, there's a gite opposite my apartment which is bigger than you need but set up for disabled access, including accessible bathroom. Google Gite de Bisanne. Might be too quiet but v easy parking. Piste side. If it looks suitable let me know of any queries. I know the (charming) French owners and we rented the place for a big family party. I have no personal stake in it!!
ski holidays
You've probably sorted this, but we have stayed in an apartment that's on the ground floor and has full disabled access in Morzine, very close to the centre and lift. 90 is m2 and not too expensive. Through lacoutet immobilier called 'grand hotel'. Great apartment, great service from the company. Hth Simone
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy