Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strolz boots

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone use Strolz boots ? Interesting custom shell thing they do. Price not too too crazy (at least here in US $1200).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
essex wrote:
Anyone use Strolz boots ? Price not too too crazy (at least here in US $1200).

I think they price their boots individually, rather than for the pair... Still cracking value though
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well that's what i am trying to figure out. Any other companies in this custom fit boot sector??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
have a search been covered many many times!! Good boot fitters reckon they can make a boot fit as well for a lot less $$$

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=strolz+boots+sites%3Asnowheads.com&oq=strolz+boots+sites%3Asnowheads.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.7359j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My father, with very difficult feet is on Strolz and will never have another brand. His feet were always aching, now he's very comfy, and is also able to ski much better, much more control.
In Lech, were Strolz originate, I would estimate that about 90% of the guests (a rather discerning bunch...) is on Strolz
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langerzug, home nation advantage wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Langerzug wrote:

In Lech, were Strolz originate, I would estimate that about 90% of the guests (a rather discerning bunch...) is on Strolz

Maybe the Lech guests but not the people actually skiing Lech at anything like that number from what I've seen. The average Lech guest may be very discerning but they don't all do lots of performance skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
3@essex, Strolz boots are the Mercedes of ski boots. Mrs Skimastaaah has a pair and loves the custom quality of both fit and function. Strolz boots are about precision, performance, and insight. The Lech Strolz store is a haven for the heritage of the prestige marque. Custom fitting of ski boots is the mis-understood aspect of ski boot technology, Strolz are the epitome of personalised performance.

Btw.......... Strolz in the UK ....... based in Yorkshire at Glide and Slide, Otley.

(£50 claimed !!!!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@essex, I have had a pair of Strolz boots, fitted in the Strolz shop in Lech, for about 15 years now. reaching EOL now, but brilliant boots. Never looked back.
My wife now has a pair of boots fitted by Martina Ertl Renz's shoe & boot shop in Munich and is more than pleased with the result, so yes there are others that do this. I'm also thinking about going to the Ertl Renz shop sometime this winter.
Sure there are other bootfitters that do a similar job, maybe even for less money. Can't comment on the quality of the result.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Pair of Strolz boots fitted in their flagship store in Lech itself. Excellent boots. I choose the 'performance' boots over the 'comfort' ones, so they are extremely stiff, therefore a little difficult to get on if cold, BUT, once on, SUPERB. I can wear them all day from 8.30 to 5 and occasionally beyond and never any problem. Fitting time varies depending on what needs doing but you can always have a glass of Champagne at their own bar upstairs while some adjustments are made. They are guaranteed 'for life' and if any further adjustments or replacement parts are needed,ie sole or heel plates etc. it's all covered in the original purchase price. I have them about 8 years now and have spent every winter working somewhere in the ski industry, 5 of those in Lech itself. Skiing in them 3-6 times a week for 4 + months of the year, they have seen more service than most people see in a lifetime. Heartily recomended.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like the idea of the lifetime guarantee... surely at some point the whole boot will end up replaced - perhaps more than once?

That said, I can wear my Salomon race boots from 08.30 to 5.00 without a problem. And they are easy to get on as they never get put on while cold.

And on the other hand a friend had a pair fitted and promptly came on a weeks heliskiing. Blood on the snow after day 2... not the brightest of ideas...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a pair last year. Mixed feelings.

I found the ratchet-type buckle adjustment design then a ridiculously-stupid fiddle, but I understand that the new models now have the same micro adjuster turning things as the majority of boots do.
I found them to be of a good (and adjustable by the shop) flex, which was able to be specified by me after the fitter's advice, and the custom shell fit meant that I got a very good stance and lean angle out of them: my skiing improved dramatically because of that.

On the down side, I don't seem to get on with foam liners at all (maybe my feel change shape during the day or as I age or something?) and whilst the boots seemed to be very comfortable adn a lovely fit at first, they were horrible to wear on the slopes.
I also have very narrow heels, ankles, cuff area etc, and Strolz are seemingly not designed to deal with this. I think that they are a pretty high volume boot, even when supposedly designed on a custom shell (I could be wrong, but my experience, certainly) and whilst I did manage to get a good heel hold out of the injected liners, and a very good forefoot fit, the liners don't have foam/adjustment in the tongue or most of the shin area so there was no way of taking up volume there except for over-tightening the buckles. I understand that other after-market liners (e.g. zipfit, maybe intuition - also other foam liners available) have more 'padding' in more areas, so for me would be a better option if I would get myself sorted with an off the shelf boot (which at the moment I'm in).
I didn't find that they were really as utterly personalised/customised as I had thought, certainly not as regards the upper cuff section, and that didn't seem to have been ordered correctly for me first time, so I ended up having another one swapped over from someone else's boots (which admittedly was better) and the buckles re-drilled in at a tighter postiion just as I have to do sometimes with off the shelf boots. I didn't think that the buckles as a whole were at a good place for my foot/leg design anyway, but again there was a fit issue with getting things tight enough for how I like or need them.

So, pros and cons depending on your foot shape and any problems which you have. I think that they can be great for poeple with wider feet or bone problems in the foot (my limited knowledge/opinion), but not the solution for everyone.

In the UK they seem very expensive compared to many off the shelf boots even at the high end specs, although the guarantee is useful. I would think a lot of people would say that they can get an off the shelf pair adapted by a good bootfitter and get just as good a result, maybe at a cheaper price.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I would think a lot of people would say that they can get an off the shelf pair adapted by a good bootfitter and get just as good a result, maybe at a cheaper price.

I would think so as well...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, since i have never really had a problem with off the shelf brands (beyond a little stretching to accomodate my ankle), think i shall not go the Strolz route at this point. But a pleasant discussion with the boot man at my local ski shop over the weekend.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@essex, not all boot men are equal.
ski holidays
There's also Dale Boots in the US.
ski holidays
Grizzler wrote:
whilst I did manage to get a good heel hold out of the injected liners, and a very good forefoot fit, the liners don't have foam/adjustment in the tongue or most of the shin area so there was no way of taking up volume there except for over-tightening the buckles.

Actually there are some options, though I have no idea how well they work! Take a look at http://www.tognar.com/the-eliminator-custom-tongue-shims for starters, though I've heard of people simple duck taping neoprene etc onto the tongue too.
snow conditions
@clarky999, I'd imagine they're worth a look
ski holidays
I had 2 pairs of Strolz boots. They were good, but not great, for me. I found the liners packed out after ~80 days, which is about a season for me. Perhaps the fact that I am tall and strong exacerbated the wear rate. The buckles on the 2nd pair, ie the model that has just been superseded, were very fiddley and prone to breaking.

Be aware that the fitting process is not foolproof. So much depends on who you get - even the Lech store.

I have found happiness in a pair of Atomic Hawx 130 with Zipfit liners. Fantastic hold-down, no hot spots, and comfortable enough to leave buckled all day.

The point of this post.. Strolz has a very good product, but it is not the only or even the best solution for everybody. If you are lucky to live near a great boot-fitter, you may well find something that suits you better.
latest report
@clarky999, sometimes an essential boot fit adaptation, but never perfect as it can affect stance, lean, balance etc.
A properly-fitting smaller liner/boots is a better option.
latest report
I also had Strolz for a while but never 100% happy with them. Moved to Atomic and just found them to be much more comfortable. No one thing I could put my finger on but just not quite did it for me.
snow conditions
I've had a really good experience with the new heat moldable Atomic boots.Both shells and liners are heated and then allowed to mold, cool and settle around the feet. The molding itself is unpleasant - the boots are really hot, but I think that making foam liners is even more unpleasant. I guess we'll see how well the fit and the boots in general hold up (I've used for only one week) but right now they seem better than the Lange Comps they replaced
latest report
One way or the other some Atomic-pushing seems to be coming up all of a sudden......
snow report
@Grizzler, this won't affect the forward lean/cuff angle of the boot. A spoiler between the cuff and calf will but a change to the tongue won't.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
One way or the other some Atomic-pushing seems to be coming up all of a sudden......

I was certainly not pushing Atomic. I was just pointing out that for some people there are better choices than Strolz, with Atomic, for me, being a better choice.

I am however happy to push Zipfit. Head over to Epicski and will find hundreds of posts from people who have found foot happiness with Zipfit. I am one of them. Totally sold on Zipfit. That said, they too may not work for everybody. They seem best suited to people who ski lots and regularly. People who ski a week a year probably will not get the same benefit... the fit improves the more you ski in them. Some people will find having to put them on, and remove them, by taking the liner out of the shell, a pain. It is however actually quite easy and also means a dry, warm liner for the next day. Finally, they are not cheap, but anecdotally they last hundreds of ski days.
snow conditions
+1 for Zipfit. Had Head boots fitted in Val D'Isere many years ago, was back every day for tweaks and achilles was still in agony. Zipfits fixed the issue. Now on my 2nd set of them!

I've never taken the liner out of the shell when putting them on @ulmerhutte?? Although I am heading your way for Xmas so no need to ski boots Smile
snow report
@Kelskii, Maybe I didn't express exactly what I meant? Not having got it in front of me, hard to say the exact effect. However, certainly seen a lot of other threads/fora etc saying that Eliminators, etc, push back the shin, thus making a more upright stance, etc - which may or may not be an issue ultimately if one is already having problems getting pressure/drive onto the fronts (as I often do); also depends how much room you have in the cuff and how much you already lean forward (and/or want to) to take it up. I find that foot positioning subtleties can often make a huge difference - but am very much still experimenting with what works best for me and why.

@ulmerhutte, @kitenski, I was also very keen on the idea of Zipfits for asssiting with boot fit (narrow heels/leg, instep etc) - but I was warned off because of the problems of getting either liners + feet into boot shell or foot into shell + liners. Is it that much of an issue? (I like quite a snug fit once boot done up, etc, and currently in a pretty stiff shell.)

Then again, I struggle getting my feet into many a liner or stiff shell, including the Strolz; and I could never get the Strolz liners back into the shell if I managed to get them out. Felt like a real pathetic idiot weakling Sad
ski holidays
@Grizzler, no issue at all getting into it IF the boot is warm. real PITA if boot has frozen in boot of car overnight though!

What size shell do you have?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
What size shell do you have?

Depends on boot/make (have several) but between 23 and 24; 95, 97 and 102mm lasts. Especially in the lower volume boots, struggling even to get them open and on at current house winter temps! (not the constantly-warmest of houses...)
ski holidays
@Grizzler, @kitenski, seriously, I find it easy to remove the Zipfits from the shell and re-insert again. Even taking off cold boots after skiing is straight forward with the technique shown here: http://w.zipfit.com/fittrick.html

I believe that Zipfit recommends taking them out to maintain the fit. With the liner in the shell, pushing/pulling your foot in/out will likely smear the fit around the ankle bone pocket? That said, I gather many people don't bother and still report great fit.

Agree with you on removing and inserting Strolz liners. A 2 person job, or a way to sooner or later remove a finger nail or 2!
ski holidays
One other thought on Zipfits... to get a good fit, the shell probably has to be the right size, ie not too big. I doubt they would be any good at making up for over-sized shells, unlike foam, which perhaps offers a little more ability to fill voids.
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:
One other thought on Zipfits... to get a good fit, the shell probably has to be the right size, ie not too big. I doubt they would be any good at making up for over-sized shells, unlike foam, which perhaps offers a little more ability to fill voids.

for ANY boot to be a good fit the shell should be the right size.... whilst foam "can" take up some of the voids it shouldn't be used to replace a good fitting shell with a snug heel pocket and a sensible amount of space around the foot... filling a bucket up with foam gives you one thing and one thing alone A BUCKET FULL OF FOAM
latest report
@ulmerhutte, I quote from that link: "To put your ZipFit liner back in the boot, either heat the shell and/or use a friend to help open a room temperature shell." Hmmmmmm..... Sad I guess that might reinforce the warning which I was given.

Whatever the make or boot, I am not one to take liners out a great deal (right or wrong - although they rarely seem to get either wet or damp or sweaty) just because it really is such a physical pain and struggle to get them back in (and it's rare that I have the facilities, abroad or in UK or at home, to warm them). Some boots are better than others.

@CEM, couldn't agree more. And then it becomes a bucket of hard-set foam (or not, often).
I dream of such a thing as an easily-available, good fitting shell with a snug heel pocket (sigh...) If only your great expertise and wide range of boots wasn't so far away. You should take up an itinerent service throughout the UK wink
snow conditions
Well, in Australia, I often go back to the lodge for lunch, especially when it is fully ski-in/out. Though the boots sit in the drying-room, because it is only for ~30 - 40 min, they are hardly warm when I go back out. Still no problems.

My objective here is not to sell Zipfits, but to give the benefit of my experience to people who might be considering them. They are not for everybody, but neither is any other boot or liner brand.
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, FWIW we sell in excess of 150 pairs of zip fit a season
snow conditions
@CEM, are you a zip fit liner on, then foot into boot recommender??
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@CEM, are you a zip fit liner on, then foot into boot recommender??

whatever works for the individual, some people prefer that method especially in tighter fitting lower volume or race boots, others (with good flexibility) can put the boot on with the liner in situ
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy