Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Beast 16 failure

Poster: A snowHead
I bought a set of Dynafit Beast 16s at the beginning of last season and on the second outing the toe piece failed to engage.

I managed to effect a temporary and sporadic repair until returning tot the UK at the end of the season when I sent them back.

Apparently I am by no means the only one this has happened to with many bindings being returned because of the toe piece failing.

Anyone else had a similar issue?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've sold loads of 'em (over 20 pairs & no more than 40 pairs came to the UK ) & have never heard of this or any other issue other than the lower climbing bale being stiff to disengage (& I get to find out about any warranty/return issues etc).

Can you be specific as to the nature of the problem?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only thing I've seen was some guy on TGR who put the little front plastic touring catch on back to front. As it's a fiddly bit of plastic that's mounted separate to the binding I can see that being a point of people screwing up the mount.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Super Steezy, so you sent them back at the end of the season, let's say May at the latest then. What was the outcome of you sending them back??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok so...
In answer to Jon
IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/28tjpmh.jpg[/IMG]
When A was depressed the assembly did not engage, only part A moving down to lower position and so I had to manually lift part A up and pull apart the arms since depressing the cover (normally protecting part C in ski mode )would not engage the mechanism to spring the arms open.
Most times the lifting of A did not engage the mechanism which could be felt by a firm click. The other visual indication that the binding was not working was not seeing part B move up along the grey cylindrical plastic guide that it encases.
By levering up part C I was able to get the assembly back into to its 'ready for boot' condition.
This has nothing to do with the boot I am using since it occurred the second time I used the binding and sporadically there after.
In answer to Kitenski
they were returned as you said early May and I have now started chasing for an answer... No response yet, that is why I have started to throw the question out there about this.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://i62.tinypic.com/28tjpmh.jpg[/IMG]
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Super Steezy, yep, you've definitely got something amiss there & I've not seen/heard of that before. Looks like an issue with one of the internal pivot points but I can't see from the pic.

Dunno where you got the bindings from but if you'd have got them from me I'd have posted you a replacement toe out to resort on the basis of that pic & I wouldn't have need the faulty part back until you returned to the UK Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, But your level of service is a little legendary Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had same kind of issue with mine whilst in Canada over the last few weeks.
Whilst trying to engage the toe of boot in sometimes A in pic didn't to click in.
Had to use end of pole to flick it back up.
Surely this can't be right in binding that barely seen any action
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@AndyGrant,

Me too but I think that is the way its meant to work.
Had a techie oil the mechanism for me and it seemed to make everything in the toe piece work easier.
I was also having a problem with toe piece not releasing my boot (only on one ski) once I had pushed down on the release groove/button but again that disappeared following the oiling.
Can I suggest that a new binding is always going to be a little stiff and unyielding until it and the operator get used to each other? I continue to flick "A" up with my pole when necessary.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Keep the toe lubricated with a PG75 grease & you'll have no issues.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, thanks for info, where would i get such a grease?
regards
Andy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndyGrant wrote:
@spyderjon, thanks for info, where would i get such a grease?
regards
Andy

I have it.

What make/model of boot are you using as on some boots the vibram sole under the toe fouls with the toe arms etc which prevents the pins from seating correctly. This is because there's no industry standard for AT/tech boots so they vary widely between makes/models, & even some Dynafit boots can foul.

To check simply click the toe in to the binding & raise the touring mode lever. Now pivot the boot up/down through it's full range of movement whilst looking underneath the boot toe - you're looking to see that the vibram sole is not contacting the binding at all & that the boot pivots freely. If there is contact then that areas needs grinding down until it's clear.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Despite the noble endeavours of Spyder Jon I am saddened at the lack of technical support from Dynafit, saddened and more than a little stung by investing in the worlds most expensive binding only to have it fail so completly.

It seems to me they are quite happy to dump a new binding on the market before they have properly field tested it and any attempts at addressing issues with them are beyond my levels of communication.

The resolution I came to was to replace the 16 toe piece with the 14 toe piece, this has worked very well and I have now quibble with this arrangement, (this wasn't a solution offered by Dynafit but by the embarrassed and sympathetic dealer).

Now Dynafit need to redesign the heel piece to allow flat walking which would remove the need for the riser locking the brakes up to which the dis-engaging of has claimed two poles so far, really very stupid when you look around at the rest of your party who are simply and without any effort turning their rear columns by hand.

Jon you have a direct line to Dynafit any chance you can get them to represent here?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone heard an official word from Dynafit on this?

Both of my toes failed (new version with toe box adjust leaver).

I am all sorted for warranty but this does cause some worry if it happens again along way from help.
snow report
@robo-06,
That toe piece is a dog.
I've come across more than a few dealers who won't stock the 16 because it fails, so reliably.
As for hearing from dynafit....tumbleweed.....
If you can, bite the bullet and get a pair of 14 toe pieces, they have been really well behaved and put your mind at rest.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-02-16 10:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
No issues with my 14's a year on......
ski holidays
Hi all,

My brand new Dynafit Beast 16 broke today after 2 days on snow. The toe peace failed - it got stuck in open position with no way to close it and small security lever (red thing on new version of binding) looks broken...

It basically ruined my day... on the other side it happened near ski lift so I could descend easily...

What does it take to replace for 14 (looks like those are much more reliable) - how does the fitting pattern match ? new holes in my brand new skies?

@Super Steezy - Did Dynafit respond to your problem at all?
snow report
Had 2 weeks on my 16's without any problems. Was skiing with somebody on 14's the other week which had a similar toe design (with the toe box adjust lever), and he had a problem. Can't remember whether the toe wouldn't open or close but the cause was a little bit of red plastic that was stuck under the toe adjust lever and stopping one of the levers from moving. No problem after the offending piece of plastic removed.

There is red plastic under the toe adjust lever so guess a piece of this may have broken off.
snow report
@AB Ski, the 14's have a different toe so he must have been on 16's as well.

The two keys to reliability of the Beast 16 toe are:

- regular lubrication & they have insufficient lube out of the box so they need greasing straight away.
- ensuring there's sufficient clearance around the boot toe lug so that the wings aren't rubbing on the side of the boot - which essentially means that the boots has had to have been jammed in.
snow report
vasja wrote:
.......What does it take to replace for 14 (looks like those are much more reliable) - how does the fitting pattern match ? new holes in my brand new skies?....

The Beast 14 toe (same as the Radical 2 toe) has a different mounting pattern to that of the 16.
snow conditions
Hi,

update from my side: I'm in Zermatt and I went to local Sallewa shop (http://zermatt.salewa.ch) in the city centre. They made a call and replaced the toe peace immediately without any question... They will get replacement by the end of the week and they kept the broken peace.

Must say top service. Highly satisfied!

note: I did not buy the binding in their shop. I bought it online (conrad for 250 EUR) ...

@spyderjon what kind of lubrication - where to lubricate? I guess also the original was not additionally lubricated - only mounted straight out of the box and broke after 2 days of usage...
I also do not have many options here with a mechanic shop to get proper lubricate, so what alternatives are best?
snow report
Beast 16 toe lube points:
Pic is of the original (& better IMO) toe design but there's no difference. This toe has done over 100 days.

And if you're using QK inserts then you can lube the rotary base when swapping the binding.

Use a PG75 grease which is available from my online store.
ski holidays
Thanks for detailed instructions!
snow report
The only problem I have had with my Beast 16's has been icing/snow packing. This typically only happens when moving from cold to warm areas. They work fine all day at altitude when cold (or at consistent temperature), but the problem occurs when returning to warmer areas, ie. the village at the end of the day, or somethings a warm cable car.

The issue manifests as the central grey lever under the toe staying in the down position, so the binding is open and cannot be triggered to close by stepping. Usually all it takes is banging the back of the ski at the toe, or if really bad cycling the toe open lever a few times to break up/free the ice/snow, and normal operation resumes.
ski holidays
Reanimating a zombie thread here, but would you buy a Beast 14 in 2020?

I'm looking for a cheap binding to mostly ski in resort with very occasional big days out. I usually ski in Head World Cups but have some overly soft Nevica TR10s for touring, both of which I have just replaced with a pair of Atomic XTD 120s, the WTR version I'm afraid.

This change is beyond the adjustment range of the Fritschi bindings on my 'touring' skis so cheap replacements are needed. (After an hour at Hemel they proved pretty close to beyond the adjustment range of my skiing but that is another story!)
ski holidays
If you can find a pair cheap, then why not.
ski holidays
Ordered thx!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sport Conrad?
ski holidays
Wow. 150 euro a pop is good value.
ski holidays