Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm wondering about ski hire in Val D. I know Snowberry are the best, but are also very expenisive. Does anyone have a view on getting their economy skis (last year's skis I think), vs. getting a top package with someone like precision ski or ski republic? I'm an intermediate skier, this will be my 6th week skiing. I want all mountain skis as I'm eager to improve on the piste and get more used to some of the deeper stuff of the sides. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@conor90, try posting a question under the Val d'Isere snow reports thread. Steve Angus may be able to offer up some info for you, Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will do, thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val is awash with ski rental shops. Skimium, Sport2000, Ski Set, etc. They all have 3-4 package levels and several branches. You will find that there is almost no difference between their prices. The best bet is to go in pick the skis you want and haggle, having already looked at what you would pay by booking on-line.

If you are looking for good powder skis, you be prepared to pay for the highest level of rental package.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
question 1... how much did your holiday cost?
question 2... is it worth ruining that holiday with the difference in cost between a cheap hire shop and a better but slightly more expensive hire shop
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@CEM - Excluding ski hire, around €700. The cost difference between the ski hire places is around €100, so I suppose not an insignificant difference. But I'm probably going to go with the more expensive place.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's your sixth week skiing. You're not going to notice *that* much difference, if any for your extra €100. There's no guarantee that more expensive means 'better' - whatever 'better' means anyway when it comes to skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James - Thanks. I appreciate that I wouldn't really notice a difference. In this case more expensive will guarantee top quality skis because that's what this company's reputation is solely based off. Last year a friend and I paid for the same package in a place and I got much better skis, that's the worry.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What do you mean by 'better'?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They were newer, in better condition. We booked All Mountain skis, I'd question whether his were actually All Mountain i.e. mine were longer and wider. That was my first time getting All Mountain skis so I was fairly clueless when we were getting them. And it was obvious there was a difference when we were skiing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowberry aren't perfect. Couple of years ago I heard complaints they were aggressively pushing Salamon over other brands. Worse, they were pushing BBR's, which is a crime against everything that's good and right in the world.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@conor90, if you are unsure, then give Jock or Susan at Snowberry a call and ask them what they suggest for you form their range, they will give you some options andi am sure you can upgrade mid week if you are not getting on with what you start with
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowberry fitted me up with a boot that had 2 insoles, when I was a novice; don't believe everything you hear. It was agony, ruined my holiday
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've used Snowberry 4 or 5 times now and will again in a week's time. Always been very good and the ability to leave skis and boots overnight is a big bonus.

Never sensed that they 'push' any particular brand or type of ski. Rossignol last time, Salomon before that and Volkl before that.

They are also happy for a swap to a different set of skis mid week.

Worst skis ever - Les Arcs 1950, 5 years ago when we were relative newbies. In hindsight they looked liked they had been pulled out of a dumpster! I won't name the place..... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
conor90 wrote:
They were newer, in better condition. We booked All Mountain skis, I'd question whether his were actually All Mountain i.e. mine were longer and wider.

How does having newer skis improve your skiing? (On the basis that ski shop skis won't be older than two seasons; for the avoidance of doubt I'm not comparing 2015 skis with 1995 skis.)

How does having skis that are in better condition help your skiing? (Assuming that the skis are not broken and still function as skis; the edges are sharp and the bases are waxed as they always are from hire shops.)

All mountain covers the whole range between the two extremes that are not all mountain: "suitable only for slalom" and "nearly as big as a snowboard". So yours were more off- than on- piste and his were more on- than off- piste. Don't like your skis? Then take them back and swap them. Not everybody likes every pair of skis and ski shops realise this which is why often they barely have two pairs of skis the same.
latest report
I never said having newer or better condition skis would improve my skiing. Having skis in better condition can definitely make it more enjoyable, for instance on the flat areas - his skis weren't in good condition (and usually newer also means better condition) on the bottom which meant more effort on the flats. You are incorrect in saying the bases are always properly waxed from hire shops, and I have learned that the hard way.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy