Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! Binding Issues

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Made the mistake of entrusting my pride and joy to a shop in london. got marker jesters mounted on my K2 Shreditor 102s.

I know i know i shouldn't have trusted them, but the guys were nice and knew their stuff...

anyhow, they aren't quite centred, we're talking <0.5mm here, and aren't flush to the ski. there is only a small gap between binding and ski, but easily enough to see light through, i've already complained that they were't properly centred and got them re-done, better than they were, but im still sceptical. Now I've got home and seen this gap. Also had them remount my volkl ledges, and it seems that there is some "volcanoing" on the heel plate and so they aren't flush either.

Is this going to be a big issue or am I just being a pedant? Or if its bad what do i do? take them back and pray they get it right? or try and sort myself? Never been a ski tech, need help here.

if anyone is interested, the shop is in covent garden, have an orange logo and their initials are EB.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
need advice asap, because i'm off to VT next Sat!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loveischgl wrote:
Made the mistake of entrusting my pride and joy to a shop in london. got marker jesters mounted on my K2 Shreditor 102s.

I know i know i shouldn't have trusted them, but the guys were nice and knew their stuff...

anyhow, they aren't quite centred, we're talking <0.5mm here, and aren't flush to the ski. there is only a small gap between binding and ski, but easily enough to see light through, i've already complained that they were't properly centred and got them re-done, better than they were, but im still sceptical. Now I've got home and seen this gap. Also had them remount my volkl ledges, and it seems that there is some "volcanoing" on the heel plate and so they aren't flush either.

Is this going to be a big issue or am I just being a pedant? Or if its bad what do i do? take them back and pray they get it right? or try and sort myself? Never been a ski tech, need help here.

if anyone is interested, the shop is in covent garden, have an orange logo and their initials are EB.

Less than 0.5mm 'off centre'?! Far more important things to worry about. Go skiing! It's actually not uncommon at all; sometimes the centre mark on the boot is off, sometimes the jig is out, sometimes people don't measure and check before poking holes and there's a lot of forward pressure on those too but it's really not worth worrying about in your case.

Toe or heel pieces not quite flush? Most Squire/Griffon/Jester heel plates I've seen aren't truly flush. So long as they are sound around the mounting holes then all is good. If not, whip them off, chisel off the excess top sheet material, re-glue and re-mount. Oh, you'll need a Pozi #3 driver and NOT a Phillips for this bit. Alternatively, take them back in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bet the toe is flush but it's the heel bases that are high. First thing to check is whether the heel base plate is flat on the ski directly under the screw locations as sometimes the bases have a slight upward curve to them at the ends which give the impression of poor mount when in reality it's fine.

If there's daylight around the screws then it might be volcano'ing which is easily rectified by removing the base & flushing off the topsheet with a chisel. After regluing the screws should re-torque up correctly providing they haven't been mullered in too tight initially with a power driver. Easy enough DIY job which will also require you to reset the heel binding length/forward pressure (as the heel had to be wound off the base to get at the access screws) which is straightforward enough to do & is something you should know how to do/check.

What's also pretty common on that Marker design as the holes in the base plate have three inward protruding tags to hold the screw in place in the box (Marker, just put the screws in a plastic bag rolling eyes) which, when the screw is installed, bend outwards/downwards and jam between the base plate & the topsheet of the ski. There's also no recess around the underside of the holes so there's nowhere for any slight volcano'ing or the tags to hide. Those in the know run a 5.5mm drill through the base plate holes first then put a slight countersink on the underside of the holes.

Daylight under the mounting holes needs sorting though as it means that all the load is on the screws instead of being spread across the topsheet of the ski.

You won't notice 0.5mm mis-alignment - plus if you're measuring the binding against the edges of the topsheet then that's not that accurate as a jig centres the mounted on the skis edges and sidewalls are often not symmetrical.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks to you both!! yeah theres a gap around the screws so will get them seen to, don't have the right type of screwdriver so dont want to be a cowboy and make it worse! as for the centre-ing/middle-of-the-ski-ness i'm just being a bit precious i think. out of interest where could i get a Pozi 3 driver?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
scratch the last. i realised there is this amazing thing called google... rolling eyes Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy