Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Resorts near enough to Geneva for Family Day trips

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! My family and I are house sitting for a couple going away on holiday in Geneva for about a week and a half. Our house will actually be in Corsier(a little east of Geneva city center). While we would love to stay in a ski resort, we have hamsters that need attention at the beginning and end of each day. While that rules out an overnight stay, our family does love to ski. My question is that if anyone would recommend a ski area where we might be able to leave out early in the mornings and return that afternoon/evening. Also, anyplace that we may rent ski equipment would be appreciated! We have a rental car if need be. Thank you in advance for your helpful advice. Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 30-11-16 13:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skiman247, I don't know the answer to your question, but to get the people who do to read it, I suggest changing the thread title to something like "Ski resorts near enough to Geneva for regular day trips".
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would think there are lots of possibilities within an hours drive of Corsier. For example, the Grand Massif resorts, easy to get the gondola from Morillon. Also Megeve or Chamonix.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any of the easy to get to Haute-Savoie stations work. Marginal advantage looking to e.g. Praz-sur-Arly by Mieussy. or Les Gets. Or Samoens. You might think about renting for the whole period from a shop in Geneva. (I have no recommendations).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are buses from Geneva to a range of ski resorts each day (information gleaned from previous threads).

A thread title change as suggested by @Gämsbock would elicit more useful information.

At present the weather prospects for good snow are not looking great so the nearer Jura stations mightn't be too good (and the lower slopes elsewhere, too).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Avoriaz apparently looking good from chum who walked up today.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would recommend Thollon-les-Memises.

Its quite small and very cheap, so a good family choice especially for beginners.
If you cant or dont want to ski you can rent some snow shoes.

You get a great view of lake Geneva.

Not far away is Bernex ... perhaps a bit bigger ... Or if you have a bit more time Chatel.

I dont know where you should rent skis from if you need to.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skiman247, Chatel must be the answer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd go along with the Thollon recommendation, unless you are expert skiers looking for a challenge. Its an ideal family resort for a day and is used in the way you are proposing to by loads of people. There's a large car park so its all fairly easy. The only thing thats lacking is a decent place to eat on the hill. By that I mean there's a place, but its not decent.

There are several hire shops. The one I have used is Meda Sports.

If you want somewhere closer there are small places in the Jura, but I have no experience of them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For somewhere really close try Lelex or Mijoux about 20 - 30 mins north of Geneva. Not extensive but a pleasant way to spend a couple of days.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At just under an hour from Corsier, Thollon certainly looks interesting. At around an hour the Grand Massif (Samoens, Les Carroz etc) could keep you occupied for 10 days. If you get bored with that then at about 70 minutes travel the whole of the Portes du Soleil opens up with Chatel, Morzine and Les Gets all being about the same travel time. Megeve is also about 70 minutes.

Below is a link to the Haute Savoie tourism which will give you a lot more info on all the choices.

http://www.haute-savoie-tourisme.org/loisirs/lieux-sportifs/stations-ski

I don't know the Jura but I suspect that having to travel through or around Geneva will increase your travel time more than you would like.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timc wrote:

I don't know the Jura but I suspect that having to travel through or around Geneva will increase your travel time more than you would like.

From Corsier, yes. I would head out along the lake. The road is much improved. Habere Poche is good for a day, if there is snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
take the hamsters with you ?...for the cost and faff of an hour each way every day surely that's worth consideration ??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You might find this map useful:

https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Ski_Resorts_Near_Geneva_Map.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stefoy4me wrote:
take the hamsters with you ?...for the cost and faff of an hour each way every day surely that's worth consideration ??
Yes, put them inside your gloves to keep your hands warm.

Otherwise from Corsier, Thollon, Bernex, Abondance or Chapelle D'Abondance. My preference would be Bernex, if the snow is good down to the car park, lots of easy runs, three chairlifts (so you dont have to use the buttons), two restaurants at the top, plenty of ski hire and with great views of the lake and Mont Blanc. Check snow here http://www.bernex.fr/webcam scroll down for conditions at the car park. Thollon and Bernex will be very busy at weekends if the weather is good and at half term
snow conditions
If it's the Corsier I'm thinking of (on the SE side of Lake Geneva?), then you have a slight issue that the obvious route to the Swiss Resorts like Leysin (for Les Diablerets), Champéry, and Le Chable (for Verbier and Bruson) is along the south side of Lac Léman, which is a slow single-carriageway road (compared to the A9 autoroute 'round the north of the lake). viaMichelin says it's 2½ hours Corsier to Le Chable, but I'd say more like and hour, so I'm not sure why the difference (I've driven it in the summer and I'm sure it didn't take that long).

It may be that in practical terms, it's actually easier to go to Anemasse as the access-point to the French resorts. But personally, I'd rather go the Swiss ones and I like Le Chable because it's a big purpose-built, free car-park, so no hassle trying to drive to/round a resort trying to find cheap parking. You then put on your gear and ride the télécabines up to Verbier/Bruson.

Trains are also a good means of transport for snowboarders (who can travel in their boots, luck people). And I've often seen boarders (and skiers) get off at Aigle for the connecting bus to Leysin or, I assume, Champéry and the Ports du Soleil. Swiss public transport if fully integrated in a way not seen in the UK for 50 years, so use the www.bb.ch website to plan trips and it'll include bus and télépherique connections as well.
latest report
We have an apartment in La Tzoumaz (4 valleys) and it's not unusual for residents in the lakeside towns of Geneva, Montreux and Lausanne to rent an apartment for a month and then to-and-fro, bringing their pets with them. Owners/agencies will often offer a discount on the weekly rate for an extended booking like this. It also allows them to keep their gear in the place, which is convenient. If you decide that the French resorts are quicker to access, you might still try contacting some rental agencies just to see if you can get such an arrangement.
ski holidays
@msej449, ummm, from Corsier, getting to a train would be a right PITA.

If the snow is good, the Chablais resorts are indeed a good idea. Frankly, you can be in the PdS quicker than the Jura.
snow conditions
further stuff on the PdS....Maybe St Jean d'Aulps is an idea (driving via Thonnon les bains) It's part of the Portes du Soleil but not directly linked to Morzine/Avoriaz etc. It's a great little satellite resort and has cheap day tickets. Normally very quiet and there is a great little loop to do.
Abondance and Chapelle d'Abondance if snow cover is good low down and you don't want a big ski area. Chatel as previously suggested if you want access to the PdS and also for good access to Avoriaz try parking at Ardent underneath Linderets which is good option. (near Montriond)
Not part of the PdS is Sommand/Prayz de Lys. I've not skied at Sommand/Prayz de Lys yet but it looks a very family friendly place (access via Mieussy).
snow conditions
Praz de Lys would probably be family friendly. It's also more of a XC station so likely to be a little quieter.
latest report
I like St Jean Dalps too, reasonable access, small shops at ski station with gondola straight up to higher level, as above there is a nice circuit to travel with some decent places for lunch there as well. I think it's well worth visiting, fairly quiet pistes too midweek.

Praz de Lys I've been too a fair bit and that too is well worth a visit. Much more French than the traditional focus of popular UK skiing holidays, which I like. Good village on an open plateu, easy free parking, good kit hire shops if you need them and reasonable day rate for lift pass. Good places for food both on the snow at village edge and another out half way up the snow. Local collection lifts are small drags, nothing particularly hard but they bring people with accommodation outlying the village up into main ski area. General access from village is two chairs going up to the main peak with blue red and black routes from there. It's a great place to ski.
This area combines with Sommand which has its own road access, very large free carpark but busy weekends from many locals going there but quiet midweek. Very good lunch place at the end of that carpark right by the ski lifts. Much less of a village and less shops for ski needs. You'll be skiing exactly the same area but I'd go to Praz de lys if you've not visited before.
Finally If you've got a Saturday to ski (transfer day) then the pistes of the bigger area are usually quiet and worth getting out early for. Both Les Gets for Pds and Morillion 1100 for Grand Massif areas would be my pick for easy access.
Very Happy
snow report
@ski3, is that anywhere near St Jean d'Aulps?
ski holidays
Yep, I was wrangling my spell on other points too, so missed the spelling of that one. Presume you meant that.
snow report
Morillion were that 80s rock band weren't they?
ski holidays
Fish, wasn't it? if memory serves me correctly. Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy