Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY edge tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Now we've got the hang of waxing our skis and board, we're wondering about the best way to get the rest of the servicing done. There's a ski shop I could take them to, but they seem keen to use a machine, and seemed surprised when I said I didn't really want the bases grinding.

We did the waxing without a vice, with the skis / board balanced between 2 big plastic boxes. Would we be able to do something similar for the edge tuning or do we really need a vice?

Getting a vice is slightly complicated by us needing to service one pair of skis and one snowboard. (The skis are 80mm waist). I found this:

https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/holmenkol-board-freeridefix-ski-bench-vice-001/?utm_source=manufacturer&_cclid=v3_930fc1e5-7d37-5ef9-a400-4664c6167238&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7HPBRDUARIsAMeR_0ijAX0JsXpiNpmiOHU3tFxQT4dQoWVEYTYnO-pQ5zp_tcUhvUz-AcgaAlEsEALw_wcB

but wasn't sure if it would work with the skis? Has anyone tried this?

Also wondering if using one of the edge trick tools (http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/edge-tools/side-edge-guides/kunzmann-edge-trick-tool-c-w-alu-oxide-diamond-stones_55684bf36af23-detail.html) is the way to go, as it looks like a nice neat solution. Unfortunately, as the skis and board have been serviced in a shop we can't be completely sure what the edge angles are set at.

Alternatively, is there anyone in Oxfordshire with a ski / board servicing set-up who fancies earning a few beers? Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could always go to the piste office and go one one of Jon's courses. Or even buy the DVD and watch it.

There are lots of videos on YouTube but buying the DVD means you get the benefit of Jon sorting out which are good and which are bad.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
You could always go to the piste office and go one one of Jon's courses. Or even buy the DVD and watch it.

There are lots of videos on YouTube but buying the DVD means you get the benefit of Jon sorting out which are good and which are bad.

I forgot to put here that there aren't any courses available with Jon before I need to use the skis.

I should have also said, that it's not as simple as just buying a vice, as we don't really have anywhere to mount one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are plenty of cheap but reputable edging tools available that are designed to go in your jacket pocket for a quick edge tune on the slopes. Maybe try one of those first as they're certainly not designed to be used in conjunction with a vice? If you get on with that then invest in the more expensive stuff?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you got a Workmate? That's what I used to begin with, although probably not the best option and would likely have Jon reeling in horror.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXQ7FmHj64L/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also did the workmate but then got one of Jon's Jaws of beast sets at the ski test. Now have it set up on a plank of wood between two saw horses. It's a game changer, especially for edging. Have done 3 sets this week removing sidewall and resetting edge angles, much much easier.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sugarmoma666, To save on the cost of a set of set vices I made a ski tune box, link to pic of mine here:

http://tinypic.com/r/2efj43t/9

I saw the original plans here:

https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/diy-how-to-build-a-portable-ski-or-snowboard-waxing-table

There are no hard and fast dimensions, I made mine in a morning from a sheet of 12mm ply, one big advantage is being able to tune in your lounge in the warm without making a mess, ignore the wax shavings on the floor in my pic that was before using the box

Once I have the piano hinge installed it will fold in half for storage

You can easily adjust it for snow board use by making an extra pair of deeper cuts to hold the board on its side for edge tuning.

If you get really stuck, you are welcome to come down to Wokingham, I can sort the edges on your skis but not really set up for a board

Agree with GlasgowCyclops, I did Jon's course which was excellent and also spent a lot of time on the internet watching videos and refining my techniques, there is a lot of good info out there, also some bad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry don’t know how to do link. The kit I cobbled together was inspired by this article, used a ski boot as centre brace and altered dimensions to suit, anyhow here it is and very cheap and useful.
skitracks.wordpress.com
Cascadian Rythym
D.I.Y. Ski tuning bench
As long as you get legs and middle point correct to keep ski slightly concave it will be held rigid enough to service your skis.
Best of luck
Keith
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@enigma, https://skitracks.wordpress.com/2010/08/13/diy-ski-tuning-bench/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks.
I know if you told me you’d have to shoot me
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@enigma, you just copy and paste, there's no real secret to it Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I reckon you'll do fine without a vice (or equivilent) - I'd echo what @gvj said, get whatever edge tools you may want first and see how you get on. You can always cobble together something simple later (or buyw something ready made) if you feel the need.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Fish_Head, also being wokingham based would be interesting to see what you have sorted at some stage. I didn't realise there was another snowhead in the same town.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kamikaze Pete, Your welcome to come round and see my setup, i'm prepping skis for an early November Landgraaf trip so for the next week or so all the kit will be set up.

Will send you a private message with my contact details
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy