Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen - airport transfer from Innsbruck

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What's the quickest and cheapest way to get from Innsbruck airport to Mayrhofen. Going in January and struggling to decide between bus, train, private transfer taxi. Any advice greatfully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quickest would be a transfer - it would probably take about 1hr to 1.5hrs (depending on traffic) Four Seasons Travel https://www.tirol-taxi.at are quoting €27 on their website.
Cheapest would be the train...
Actually, I haven't looked at buses. The trains go much more frequently to Mayrhofen than buses - there may be a cheap and quick bus.
Anyway, the train takes 2 hrs - bus from the airport to the main train station in Innsbruck, train to Jenbach, change onto the local train, Zillertalbahn, to Mayrhofen. Costs €14.10.
If you're travelling on Saturday I'd take the train without question. The main road in Zillertal is mostly at a standstill on Saturdays during the winter.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent info. Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I took the train for a summer trip and it was very quick and easy, just the one change as @SaraJ says and also a very pretty route up the valley for the most part. The only downside I can see is getting from the airport to the train station if you're struggling with a large amount of luggage (skis etc).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've also used the train on my last few trips to Mayrhofen. Cheap and easy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've travelled into Mayrhofen by car on a Saturday often enough and have only found the traffic bad at New Year (and last NY it was fine) and on the weekend of the racing at Kitzbuhel. (And any day when it's snowing heavily). Coming from Innsbruck always looks like there is less traffic too. Train is easy but involves a change and may restrict your ability to ski on last day if that's what you want to do.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ghost Dog, Interesting...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We drove (motorhome) to Mayrhofen last year and the road was stop/start for pretty much all the way. We won't make the mistake of traveling on a Saturday again!

Happy to hear Ghost Dog has had good experiences but as we are not short of time we've no need to chance it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bus (F) from airport to station is cheap, quick and easy, then a pleasant onward train journey with one change I think.
SkiRail Map is quite handy for planning these things.
www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx?area=Ski_Rail_Map_of_the_Alps
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Airport Bus picks up right outside airport exit (usually less distance than equivalent charter buses) and drops off right outside Innsbruck so minimum pfaff even with ski luggage.
One change at Jenbach as mentioned - again not much distance to cover.
But if your lodgings are any distance away you may have to get a taxi in Mayerhofen (which isn't big so it shouldn't break the bank). I can't remember if we got one there or had to ring a number. Contacting your lodgings might be useful (get a local phone number and then maybe ring them at Jenbach once you know for sure what train you are on).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm, in a fit of getting a cheaper flight I appear to booked the Hahnenkamm weekend to travel to Mayrhofen this year. Oops. Oh well, wasn't expecting to ski on Saturday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Traffic won't be a problem for the Hahnenkamm by the time UK flights land in Innsbruck. The race usually starts at 11.45am and everyone will be on the mountain by 11am latest. It would only have very minimal impact on the journey anyway between Innsbruck and the turn off at Jenbach.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If only I were coming from Innsbruck. We are travelling from Munich, arrive 11am. My experience of travel on race weekends is that traffic is heavier, took me seven hours last time (albeit the weather was a bit snowy that time). I'll report back on travel times on my return. Fastest trip so far to Mayrhofen is about 2 hours (done the return slightly quicker once) which was a completely clean run, flat out in a C Class. Minibus isn't going to manage that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glad you posted that. Think I might have inadvertently booked a weekend in Innsbruck that weekend. Hopefully Munich-Innsbruck won't be too much carnage on the friday night, nor Innsbruck to wherever I decide to ski on Saturday am.

As for Zillertal traffic, my experience is that it's usually carnage early on a Saturday am leaving the valley, and not too bad going in to the valley. Presumably that changes at some point when arriving skiers arrive? And Sunday evening can be variable, depending on how much of Germany and Czech Rep. is going home after a weekend skiing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Verona Express could be described as carnage too at NY. Getting on at munich Ost means fighting your way onto a tammes train and having little chance of getting the reserved seat you have paid for. Why I drove last year. Previous year I had a rant at some a hole who complained that I had pushed him. Which was true as he refused to move up carriage to let people on train. Must have been a boarder. Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy