Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help ordering skis and bindings

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying order a pair of skis with bindings from Glisshop for my husband.

I have just had a call from them to say that the ski package can't take the soul length for my husbands boots, which are 350mm long. However they said the longest that they can take is 247mm. Which is massively different but also now makes me think we are talking cross purposes. My boughts (UK size 5.5) have a soul length of 286mm. These skis are 170cm long and 247mm is a small childs foot size!

Can anyone advice me as to what I am doing wrong here? I have tried phoning them back to question further but there telephone line closed at 18:00.

In case it makes a difference, it is the Head Rev 70 skis with Head LRX 9.0 bindings. Link below.

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/head/rev_70_flat_lrx_9_0_b90_solid_black_silver-76179.html

Thanks for any help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It doesn't help you, but do you think they meant to say 347mm?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am starting to wonder that. I was struggling with his accent
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get the impression from the head website that the nearest equivalent of this binding takes a maximum sole length of 338.

Also note that package comes with the bindings 'unmounted'
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm, so is it a case of needing to get different bindings?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NickyJ wrote:
Hmm, so is it a case of needing to get different bindings?

Its a 'package' -- they don't offer an alternative binding :: more a case of choosing another ski.....!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comes as a 'flat' ski - so yes, choose another binding

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/alpine_ski/head/rev_70_flat-75381.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes I noticed that, they have look, marker and salomon bindings that overall - especially if they let us have the 20% discount they are offering today (however I can't speak to anyone now until tomorrow!), come in at very similar prices.

Any advice on what I should be looking for between those bindings? Checked the weight range and he is well within that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
if it is not part of a package, just check that the ski brakes are suitable for the ski - e.g. if you choose an 100mm wide ski, a binding with a 90mm brake isn't going to work...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks very much @albob
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Head/Tyrolia LiteRail LRX binding go to BSL 347mm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, If your fella has a 350mm BSL then I'm presuming that he's a big guy?

If so I wouldn't put him in a 2.5-9 din light weight binding. The LR prefix stands for LiteRail & it's actually designed as junior/womens system. Whilst Head/Tyrolia don't quote a max user weight I wouldn't put anyone over 12st/over 5'10" 'ish in that binding.

And if he is a big guy then that ski is gonna be too soft.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can I offer a little bit of slightly off-topic advice, relating to your first post?

You mention that you've tried to call them and they won't answer. You've come here for advice (which is fine) but ultimately, you can't verify anything you're told on here. It's the internet. You have to take a wild punt that the advice is good. (IMO - it generally is. But then again - you don't know if I'm an experienced skier or just a fat man sat in front of the TV in his underpants*)

I can see that you might be tempted by the price on these. £90 in the flat or £140 mounted is rather cheap.

My honest suggestion would be that you speak to a UK dealer and get some honest advice. If you can't visit somewhere in person, a phone call with a knowledgeable professional will do you a great deal more good than buying something cheap online. If you buy a pair of totally unsuitable skis for £150 then you will only come back and spend another £150 to try and buy something better, and then you'll be at £300 which would have bought you something decent the first time around rather than 2 pairs of skis which you chose on the basis of their price.

When you are making a conscious choice to throw yourself down a mountain at speed there is really no logic in taking a wild guess on something because it sounds good in the description and comes in at a good price. Speak to a professional and get the right skis. The cost in the long run of hurting yourself on an unsuitable ski will far outweigh the short term saving of buying something cheap.

Also with regards to SpyderJon's post about the ski being a bit flippy floppy bendy. I take a 333 BSL and would say I'm quite a big guy. I ride the Rev80 which is a more sizeable ski and it's about right. So I can quite confidently say that the Rev70 will not be big enough for your husband. If you're after something similar size underfoot but stiff enough for a big guy you'll need to look for a piste ski not an all-mountain. A 70mm all-mountain is really designed at somebody you lift with one hand.

* - I actually fulfil both of these descriptions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @dp, your post has made me realise we have made a mistake. We were thinking these were the same skis hubby skied on season before last and really got on with. However now think it must have been the Rev 80.

We were verging on changing to the same ski different bindings however, this settles it the order will be cancelled and I am back to the drawing board about a birthday present for hubby. He won't let me spend £300 on him.

He will stay another season or two on the ones which my Dad bought as ex-hires, which he skied on for a couple of weeks before admit they really were too long for my Dad and he gave them to hubby.

Thank you all, all the advice is much appreciated and I am now a little better educated than I was at least.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well done @NickyJ, it's a good thing that you have reached this decision yourself. I can't help myself, but use the old quote, 'if you think experts are expensive, wait and see how much amateurs cost you'.......... Also,

NickyJ wrote:
He won't let me spend £300 on him.

How do you know your local, friendly, dealer doesn't have last year's model, or a an ex demo ski, or a manufacturer promo gathering dust in the back that he would love to get rid of for £xxx?. Give 'em a call ???
snow report
Our local dealer is snowtrax and I had a look around what they had in their black Friday sales when I was there on Saturday (for my daughters ski lesson). Nothing looked suitable. We will keep our eyes open and maybe wait till we get to resort and see what we see out there as well - we aren't going until mid April so good end of season deals can be had. His current skis are good enough for at least one more holiday. Possibly more... Depending on if and how much more damage they sustain.
snow conditions
Fair one @NickyJ, I guess my post was rather presumptious........ Embarassed

I should add, Lucky Mr @NickyJ Happy
ski holidays
@NickyJ,
It always pays to ask at Snowtrax. Everything they have isn't on display.
snow report
musher wrote:
@NickyJ,
It always pays to ask at Snowtrax. Everything they have isn't on display.

Will do then, back there on Sunday for the girls lessons this week. They were very busy on Saturday, so hopefully bit quieter on Sunday.
ski holidays
@NickyJ,
Are you there Sunday morning? Those sessions will be busy from now till after Christmas.
ski holidays
Yes at 10am now. Had Keira doing a couple of refresher at group 5 at 9am but she now needs to go to group 6.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
Thanks @dp, your post has made me realise we have made a mistake. We were thinking these were the same skis hubby skied on season before last and really got on with. However now think it must have been the Rev 80.

We were verging on changing to the same ski different bindings however, this settles it the order will be cancelled and I am back to the drawing board about a birthday present for hubby. He won't let me spend £300 on him.

In terms of what he was on before, do you remember what colour the detail was? Basically, the ski width has historically dictated the colour with the Rev skis. On Rev78s the detail was red, on Rev80s it was green and on Rev85s it was blue. I would expect if he's big enough to take a 350 BSL then it'd be the 80 or 85 but possibly a 78 as a push.

To be honest, Revs have been obsolete since 2015 so if you do find some, you may find them within budget or only a little over. The other good news is that Rev80/85s generally shipped with the Head/Tyrolia Powerrail (PR) bindings which by all accounts are absolutely fine for big people and depending on your OH's ability / skiing style, even if it comes with a PR10 or PR11 (the number indicating the DIN setting), Head make them all the way up to a 14 and they just slide on and off the rail.

I'm possibly in the same camp as you that I adored the Rev80 when I skied a hire model and bought some immediately when I got home; it did take a fair bit of looking and phoning around but ultimately I think they're absolutely brilliant skis and would encourage you to keep looking!
latest report
Thanks this is really helpful. Will have a look see if they have ended up in any of the photos
latest report
Found a video we sneakily took of my daughter in her lesson, where panned round to give a good shot of the skis stood up in a stand. It WAS the Rev 70's. So went back to order those with different binding to find they are not on the site any more. Sad oh dear. Made a mess of that!
snow report
@NickyJ, how tall/heavy is your husband?
snow conditions
6ft 1 and 14st.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
6ft 1 and 14st.

Rev 70 is too soft and 170 is too short.

Buy once buy right! If budgets tight then there's always good kit in the Buy & Sell section.
snow report
So this sets me wondering, what would be the right length? And why is he given that length when we have hired?

Have we just been victims of their stock level not catering for the taller male? Certainly we hit that first time we went together and they didn't have any boots big enough for his feet!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
So this sets me wondering, what would be the right length?

This is the best generic guide to ski length that I've seen...

http://www.sport-conrad.com/blog/en/ski-length-guide/

Manufacturers sometimes put a model specific length guide on their websites.
ski holidays
I really don't think you've missed out on anything. There are better skis in better sizes. Why don't you do like I suggested above and go speak to somebody who does this for a living, rather than taking pot shots on something which ultimately you attach to the end of your limbs and go fast down a mountain. It's really not the right thing in life to cheap out on, is it?
latest report
Have a look at Decathlon for decent value skis. Head Strong Instinct are £300 if you want to stick with Head.
ski holidays
For anybody who cares we stopped in Rinski on the way back from my parents. Hubby now has a belated birthday presen paid for (he needs to go back with his boots to get bindings fitted)

http://rinskis.com/dynastar-powertrack-79-ca-skis-xpress-11-b83-bindings.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy