Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sould I be doing cardio?

Poster: A snowHead
@Jonpim, I'd have been the one grumbling about modern training routines. Hope you had a good time? Despite this thread, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
My routine during the rest of the year is more upper body based because it matters for my work. And I change emphasis to legs in October.
Running and, to some extent cycling, are affected by an Achilles issue that has defied physio for some years. The big issue with cycling, though, is my great dislike of it Toofy Grin
I shall create myself a mixture of old and new in the gym and ignore all these university graduates. Although, realistically, what I need, and what David Lloyd should provide, is expertise in the modern aging body.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
henzerani wrote:
The big issue with cycling, though, is my great dislike of it
That is tough. I hate running, but rather like cycling. And quite enjoy the rowing machine.
I think you have to find exercise you like doing and keep doing it - much more likely to persist with what you enjoy.
Anyway, glad you thoroughly enjoyed yourself - that is after all what it is all about snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonpim, Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The fittest athletes, those with the best V02 max, are cross country skiers. In the published lists they beat the cyclists.

We could see why when we were in Majorca in October for cycle training and most scandinavian ski teams were there. We couldn't keep up with them going up the mountain climbs on the bike when they were on their roller skate cross country ski things. Incredibly fit.

So if you want to get really ski fit I suggest you get a pair of the roller skate cross country ski things and get training.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To do cardio properly you have to have a specific mindset that's probably comes from taking part in competitive sport, especially running, cycling, swimming and rowing and have been exposed to training be it as part of a team or following training regimes.

A heart rate monitor is an essential piece of kit and even better when combined with a GPS.

It also helps if you have set goals such as if you're still racing, and can monitor your times and PB's, Strava is excellent for this.

I'm 58 and still train, even living out in the mountains I try and do one interval session on my turbo once a week, and today as temps were +4 went out on the bike - I also ski tour three to four times a week.

Weight is important, I would be so much better if I lost a stone / 7kgs and were down to circa 11.5

Apart from weight all round flexibility as the years pile on is also important.

If beasting yourself is not for you then as I've said on here in the past, Bikram Hot Yoga is an excellent way to increase fitness and stamina as well as helping muscular / skeletal problems.

All the athletes I know hardly ever use a gym, apart from those that are nigh on Pro's and can more or less train 7 days a week.

So if you're able to ride, run, row, swim long sustained efforts a couple of times a week mixing it up with a couple of interval sessions, Tabata is excellent, though most people simply do not know how to beast themselves, you should feel like throwing up / passing out by around your 6th with still two more 20sec intervals to go!

That said just getting out and doing long sessions even without a HRM is far better than an hour in the gym rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@henzerani, you may have been more breathless because of the altitude? Where did you ski before your last trip to EK? Resistance/weight training should help you with burning quads. But standard cardio would probably help deal with thin air as your body should have learned how to use whatever oxygen is available optimally.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just another anecdotal point.

Last year was my first ski in quite some time (~9 years, I think). I started running about 3-4 years ago and got to the point of being able to do a hilly hafl marathon. Last year's ski was tough with a lot of thigh burn - though this is also partly to do with the heavy nature of the pistes. I got out of the habit of running during last year, and realised in Dec. that I needed to get fit again. I have found in the past that I get back into the habit more easily via the gym (the pre-pay basis seems a good incentive to make the most of it). I've been doing a mixture of the bike (I cycle for a fixed length of time and up the distance and difficulty) and then move on to the TRX system where I do a mixture of upper body, leg and core exercises. I'll see how I get on in two weeks...

In Spring I'll start running outside again, and maybe keep up the TRX.
Incidentally, it is possible to a TRX-like strap you can use at home (it fits over a door so can be used in many rooms), if you don't want to stick to a gym.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, fwiw, I couldn't exercise on the week before we went out, and the snow was much less effort to ski than last year, but I did find my muscles and stamina stood up a lot better. If we go again next season, I'll adapt my exercise back to this programme in the run up (and probably stick to running/hiking in the summer).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great to read everyone's approach to fitness.

I'm another 50yo deciding I need to make a change and a ski trip is a good goal.

I've always played club badminton but since xmas started to do a bit more and been pleased with the results. Every other day I've got a routine of 7 minute workout circuits and cross trainer. Since starting I've got up to 40 minutes of circuits and got the cross trainer near it's top resistance for the program I'm using.

Will it help skiing? Not sure, but I definitely feel better and have lost weight so it's all good!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll just add my opinion / results. Recently back from saalbach. Did quite a bit of mountain biking for the last year. Varied it between long slots and short hilly blasts. Probably out 2 or 3 times a week. In between did a bit of running and quite a lot of power walking up and down as many hills as possible, really stretching the legs and dripping in sweat! I'm fortunate it's very hilly where I live. Done no gym/weights at all. Found the skiing fitness the best it's been so far. Especially as I think it helped compensate for poor technique!! My mate came with us who has ski's many times but not for a long time. He is stocky build and plays a hell of a lot of squash at a good level but his legs were absolutely done in and had to 'retire' early a few times. I think the mixture of different types of exercise and intensity have really helped me as my fitness has let me down on previous trips. I'm nearly 48 by the way
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just got back from my best ski trip ever. The location and a ski lesson helped, but by far the best factor was my fitness levels. For the past 9 months or so I have been doing twice weekly spin and body pump classes. I think the HIIT from the spin class and the squatting and lunging from the body pump class must be ideal preparation for skiing. The only thigh burn I had was a very slight twinge on the first day, towards the bottom of a very long run that we went down without any stops. For the first ever ski trip, I did not wimp out after lunch, I had no need of Deep Heat, and my legs did not ache in the mornings. It was a revelation! (I am a late 40s female.)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@henzerani, If your thighs are burning despite the amount of exercise you have been doing, you might want to have a look at this:

http://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing

I found I had trouble the other way round - after a couple of weeks hard skiing I had to take a client out stalking. I couldn't keep up with him going uphill because of burning legs - coming down was a completely different matter.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@deerman, I've been doing those exercises for a couple of years now and would say that if you follow the programme you wont get any thigh burn when skiing. Thigh burn when doing the exercises well that's another matter entirely.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
deerman wrote:
@henzerani, If your thighs are burning despite the amount of exercise you have been doing, you might want to have a look at this:

http://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing

I found I had trouble the other way round - after a couple of weeks hard skiing I had to take a client out stalking. I couldn't keep up with him going uphill because of burning legs - coming down was a completely different matter.

After thigh pain off piste in Jan ( technique and lack of fitness) I've been doing these exercises. Gave myself 6 weeks before my next trip and doing some cycling as well. Now I'm 2 and a bit weeks in and have finally got up to 10 of the mini blaster things. Initially I was dead after 2. I hope they work on the slopes. They are particularly horrible.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had a go at the mini blaster exercises this afternoon, managed one set (and not at the speed in the video). My legs are in a world of pain this evening. Mad
ski holidays
@king key, you must be doing it correctly then. The pain will be worse today Toofy Grin
latest report
Still aching today.... Mad Back to training tomorrow, can't wait. Laughing
ski holidays
Another 10 minis done tonight, one more session of that then it's onto the full blaster. I can only guess the result of that.
ski holidays
You'll probably be in the next bed to me at A & E. Very Happy
snow report
I've mountain biked twice a week for the last 20+ years, and still suffered from thigh burn when skiing. This summer I decided to try to reach 10,000 steps a day, every day, primarily so that I got up and literally walked about rather than sit at my keyboard for hours (I work from home).

This made more of a difference to thigh burn (or complete lack of), than anything I have tried previously. On long runs where I would have previously stopped 2 or 3 times, I could now go top to bottom without stopping Very Happy
snow report
@PowderAdict, thigh burn is very often due to a somewhat backwards posture.
snow report
2 lots of full blaster today, then into 4th set of mini blaster when something tweaked a bit during a lunge. Did the wise thing and stopped. Somewhere in the groin area, nothing major, will rest it tomorrow and see how it feels Wednesday. Have to say that 3 weeks into these things and they feel much much easier. Even the jumping lunges aren't too bad any more, hope it translates on the slopes.
snow conditions
I had a look at the programme (and did 2 mini blasters at the end of my regular gym w/o)....it is targeted at semi-professional athletes. Starting off with 10 mini blasters a few weeks before a skiing trip can seriously injure the average not so fit person. The jumping lunges produce very high forces on the ankles and knees plus landing in an unbalanced (unilateral) stance is always risky, especially when one tires in the later sets. One needs very good body awareness and technique to do these safely without doing damage over time.
ski holidays
I started with 2 mini blasters and built up to ten over 3 weeks. Best thing I did was start doing it in front of patio doors so I could see reflection. Really helped maintain body position in the jumpy ones. After some stretching and yoga last night my tweak feels unfeelable. Agree it would very tough to go straight to 10 mini blasters without a significant level of fitness and flexibility.
snow report
@snowman, @endoman, I've been doing these exercises for a while and I'm up to doing 5 full blasters 3 to 4 times a week. I don't have the doms afterwards but legs feel a little wobbly for a while and legs still burn during the jumping phase. They are very clear that you have to build up gradually to avoid injury. It's tough but I don't think you have to be a semi-pro athlete to do them, I'm certainly not.
ski holidays
I'm a qualified PT and yes, we are more focused on overall strength. You get adequate fitness training from high intensity training like interval training, doing weights with shorter breaks between sets and do sprint work, do 1minute sprint 1minute jog for 10 minutes. If you're not blowing take shorter breaks between sets.

PT's train the body for functional movements relative to your activities. Why would you do countless hours of cardio which is long and steady state training which builds minimal to no lean muscle mass when lean muscle mass is required for activities like skiing.........Watch Lindsay Vonn train.

Cycling for a combination of leg & cardio fitness yes, but imho that isn't enough because you have to hit muscles from all angles for ample conditioning. You must train proprioceptors otherwise the risk of injury increases when skiing steeps.
latest report
Can report back on the blasters. Much better than when I went in Jan. I cycled loads until Sept, 14 hours plus a week, then nothing. Meant about 3 stone went on!!! Was hard work skiing in Jan. Did the blaster programme for 6 weeks and a bit of cycling and able to ski complete red runs without stopping this last week. Some was technique thanks to lesson, but also legs were better. Still thigh burn off piste and in thick slush, but I shall commence cycling again next week, get the weight off for next ski season, and start the blasters again. Had a slight issue with DOMS after day 2, but nothing at all major. 140 miles of downhill done in 8 days. May add some gym work for next season, cos I definitely have one weaker leg, shows on bike powermeter also.
ski holidays
I started 2 of my friends on the leg blaster routine last week ....My friends are keen runners & seasonal recreational skiers. They done 4 sets of mini's and were cursing me for days Laughing Well they were at me about writing them a program because they like to stop for breaks on ski runs and my wife and I were always waiting for them. Anyway I prescribed doing these once every 7 seven days for a month to fully recover as they are middle aged. Moving up to the full leg blasters on week 5 to 6, moving up towards 5 sets twice a week at week 9 to 10, then continue until week 12 ready for our ski trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That leg blaster routine is quite similar to what I have always done.

The difference is that I do 100 squats, though not at that speed, I don't do the jumps, as my back doesn't like it....but I do Side Lunges, which seem to make my legs hurt more than an other type of lunge. I would thoroughly recommend giving these Side Lunges a go (including the balance element), but go easy to start with.

http://youtube.com/v/FUX6Pz8vV0s
ski holidays
Nice....
I also ad a little variation for pre season skiing similar to this..

http://youtube.com/v/5Z4Du0xXfdI
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, A pity you're not able to do the the jump part of the exercises as this is what I find makes the biggest difference when it comes to endurance while skiing.
snow report
Grandma Sunshine wrote:
@Old Fartbag, A pity you're not able to do the the jump part of the exercises as this is what I find makes the biggest difference when it comes to endurance while skiing.

For some reason, I can do the jumping lunges and big lateral hops (balancing on the landing foot) without pain. I also build up isometric strength in the "Schuss Position" until I can reach 2 minutes.

All my leg work is done after 1 hour of fairly intense "leg hammering" aerobic machines....where the level of difficulty is high, but the speed (RPM) is lower. My back doesn't like running, so I walk quickly up a steep incline on the Running Machine instead.
snow conditions
this short 2 in video has 32 bodyweight exercises that are all quite good. create a set of 3 or 4 exercises picking one from each section and do 3 short sets with increasing reps from 4 to 6 to 8 to 10 of each exercise. do one set then rest 30 secs, repeat. If you can increase up to a 20 30 or 40 minute workout you will feel it and get plenty of cardio:)

http://youtube.com/v/3ePVSNt_xkM
snow report
That's a fabulous video - some really excellent (and difficult) variations.
snow report
Any type of lunges, squats, dead-lifts, etc are perfect for skiing. I like to do a variety of high rep, low weight and also some higher weight, but really never try to max out. If I keep moving in the gym, e.g. don't take any breaks between stations I get just as good a cardio workout as I would running. And mix in some balance exercises for good measure.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy