Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Screaming Dave's Top Tips

Poster: A snowHead
This one may not be for everyone, but have you ever noticed that whenever you add the word "ski" or "Snowsports" to an item description you also add a whole lotta wonga with it? This was never more so than with sunglasses. I'm always worried about taking a really good pair of sunglasses with me, as I will lose them. So I now get safety sunglasses. They do a wide range of safety sunglasses, many with groovy mirrored tints, the optics are far better than any cheaper sunglasses I've bought over the years, plus they are zero VAT rated! My current favourites are De Walt, they cost a whopping £9.99 a pair from Screwfix (so I can take a couple of spare pairs, because I will lose them). Plus, they do a version in what they call indoor/outdoor, which has a very slight tint and are slightly mirrored, which are brilliant for skiing in duller conditions.

I should note that I hate wearing goggles. I do have a pair, but mostly just to decorate my helmet and I only wear them if it is actually snowing hard.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
While you're in Screwfix, pickup a few lengths of pipe-lag. Put a length over the edges of your skis or snowboard and hold in place with rubber bands to stop them getting damaged in transit or cutting up the inside of your ski/board bag.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

While you're in Screwfix, pickup a few lengths of pipe-lag. Put a length over the edges of your skis or snowboard and hold in place with rubber bands to stop them getting damaged in transit or cutting up the inside of your ski/board bag.

If your ski's are velcroed together with a ski tie the edges are not able to cut anything though
Puzzled

Good tip for a snowboard though
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Already there - fed up of goggle fail in extreme whiteout (which is also usually high humidity and most challenging for gongs) I've just got some Bolle hi yellow safety bins to live in my pocket/pack for buttons.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use the cheap safety sunglasses for general shooting too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I do the same for mountain biking, i have a series of Bolle glasses with different lenses in them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Screaming Dave, Nice tip - can you help me figure out which of the safety glasses have a reasonable level of tint? e.g. category 3. I can only see reference to the optical quality rather than the tint level.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't think they tie directly to punter ratings which basically amount to Low sun, Medium sun and high sun but Bolle have lots of tech specs including light transmission of various lenses

e.g.
http://www.bolle-safety.com/safety-spectacles/hustler-hustflash
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, These are the ones I use:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-reinforcer-fire-mirror-lens-safety-specs/2356g#product_additional_details_container

I have to confess I have no idea what level the tint would correspond to, but I'm quite happy with them in full sun on the snow. The added bonus is that when my teenage lads first saw me wearing them on the slopes they all wanted a pair. Shame there's no Screwfix in Val d'Isere!

The other ones I use, for cloudy conditions, are:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-reinforcer-indoor-outdoor-lens-safety-specs/9281g#product_additional_details_container
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RichClark wrote:
I do the same for mountain biking, i have a series of Bolle glasses with different lenses in them.

I tried it with some Lidl 'sports' glasses that had tint, yellow and clear. Doesn't really work for me though, I generally steam them up or just find them hard work so gave up in the end. Now I just squint when it's sunny and moan when I get dirt or flies in my eye Very Happy

My only top tip (and I actually stole it off someone else on sH's) is to cut an old bike inner tube into small strips to use as elastic band for holding the brakes on skis during transport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you ever need a good pair of sunglasses it's when you're skiing.

It's more about keeping the UVA out and adjusting to varying light levels, than worrying about Bob the Builder poking your eye out with a rusty nail
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27, Your right, I wouldn't wear them if they were crap. But they have 99.9% UV protection, so they work for me.

Plus, many's the time I've come skiing over a hump and found Bob the Builder lurking there with a rusty 6" nail through a bit of 3 by 2 waiting to have my eye out ..... Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Screaming Dave, ah, you ski in Scotland... in that case, full De Walt protective gear is essential and the chance of UV exposure minimal
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use bolle safety glasses for commuting by bike - most of the year its twilight or dark so the clear lenses are perfect (keeping wind and stuff out of my eyes). they cost nothing (think I bought 3 pairs at £3 each on Amazon) and actually look quite good.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
these ones I think
http://www.bolle-safety.com/safety-spectacles/silium-silppsi
ski holidays
Me too although I think my last ones we're about £3
snow report
Quote:

but have you ever noticed that whenever you add the word "ski" or "Snowsports" to an item description you also add a whole lotta wonga with it?

It's not just snowsports. I'm a dinghy sailor during the slightly warmer months and put the word "marine" in front of anything and the prices shoot up. I'm sure it's the same with other sports too.
snow report
@GaryCantley, I work in the event hire industry. Try putting the word "wedding" in front of any item and see what happens to the price!
ski holidays
@red 27, Laughing
snow report
I think water skiing gear for horses is about the most expensive stuff you can buy.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think water skiing gear for horses is about the most expensive stuff you can buy.

trumped by bridal waterskiing gear for horses surely?
snow report
Also from screwfix or toolstation for sake of fairness, "toughgrip builders gloves" cost £1.99 a pair and have latex crinkly palms with knitted mesh backing. Great for anything to do with snowchains, car wheels generally and anything else you can think of.

They don't even slip if you get oil or wd40 on them, so I just tuck a few pairs away with things like car jack, snowchains etc, just makes it easier to use them when you need to. They keep your hands completely clean if you have to use in emergency on a journey when you're all dressed up and decent as well.
snow report
I ski in expensive sunglasses (and goggles) and I do have the same conversation with so many people of "why did you spend £300 on a pair of Oakleys when you can get some Bolles for £10?"

My answers are:
1) UV Protection - you only get 1 pair of eyes, look after them
2) Clarity of vision - frankly try this - walk around in the summer for an hour in some Oakleys with HDO lenses then take them off and put some £10 De Walt safety glasses on. It will feel like you're looking through a steamed up window. When I am skiing I want to be able to read every tiny detail on the mountain, it's those details that dictate where I turn, how I turn, what I'm doing with my speed, where my weight is, etc etc. The better and clearer the optics of the glasses are, the better you will be able to read the mountain and therefore the better you will be able to perform.
3) Because middle class English girls who go on chalet ski holidays are often swayed by brands and in my head wearing snazzy shades will compensate for my beer belly.
snow conditions
Screaming Dave wrote:
@GaryCantley, I work in the event hire industry. Try putting the word "wedding" in front of any item and see what happens to the price!

In the building industry if you even hint that something might be for a hospital then the price shoots up. Sinks is the common one, for infection control reasons they don't have overflows, so as soon as you ask for a basin with no overflow you can almost hear the calculator multiplying the price.
snow report
You can almost see the envelope slipping into the hand of the works department supervisor when the contractor comes round to quote for some work in hospitals. Even in offices! Bl..min annoying if you have a limit to spend on a department. Sorry for my cynicism

When I travel I put cut off large water bottles over the ends of the skis to protect them and the ski bags which are forever being abraded/cut by sharp edges/ends. Not sure if I will find any wide enough for my new 114mm powder skis Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
I use the cheap safety sunglasses for general shooting too.

The Day of the Jackal Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

1) UV Protection - you only get 1 pair of eyes, look after them
2) Clarity of vision

I've got some expensive sunnies too. Honestly my bolle safety glasses have just as good optics - good thing really, if you are heading downhill on a bike at 35mph seeing potholes and road debris is pretty important! Equally true if you are doing precision machining work etc. And there are official safety stamps for UV protection aren't there? Even chepa sunnies pass the test.
Sex is your only valid argument
Very Happy
latest report
@jedster, Trouble is, the middle class English girls also have 20:20 eyesight.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hawkesbaynz, not even close to being true in my experience, work in hospitals is expensive but nothing underhand goes on. In fact the current project I'm working on is on a cost reimbursement contract, so unless we can evidence that we have a legitimate cost we don't get money.

The problem is that many materials are on a limited run so have a premium, no one ever makes their mind up and you can't work in a normal way.

Cheers for the water bottle tip though, I was going to attack an old bike tyre with scissors but your solution is much neater.
ski holidays
dp wrote:
I ski in expensive sunglasses (and goggles) and I do have the same conversation with so many people of "why did you spend £300 on a pair of Oakleys when you can get some Bolles for £10?"

My answers are:
1) blah
2) blah blah blah
3) Because middle class English girls who go on chalet ski holidays are often swayed by brands and in my head wearing snazzy shades will compensate for my beer belly.

At last a voice of reason!! With you all the way.
latest report
In a similar vein [vain?], lots of US/Canada ski patrol wear thermal leather rigger gloves rather than ski gloves. Lots of those guys swear by them and you can pick them up fairly cheaply (make sure they're the leather ones though, not the fabric, or you'll be cold and wet).
latest report
Matt1959 wrote:
@jedster, Trouble is, the middle class English girls also have 20:20 eyesight.....

That sounds like an excuse to me Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Cripes! That was more controversial that I thought it would be . The point of the tip was that the safety sunglasses do have 99.9% UV protection and excellent quality optics, but they don't have any middle-class English girl pulling power, so I stand corrected on that point. Laughing

My next tip is using Screwfix rigger boots instead of expensive ski boots. Just attack a motorcycle inner tube to make some nice stout rubber bands to hold your skis on and Bob's yer Uncle (or yer builder, maybe). After your first run (or maybe even sooner) you'll have two nice broken ankles with accompanying casts. Get the docs to set your feet at the appropiate angel and problem solved!

Now, skis ....... Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Just attack a motorcycle inner tube to make some nice stout rubber bands to hold your skis on and Bob's yer Uncle (or yer builder, maybe).

A few years back a friend of ours asked my advice on buying her husband some skis. I'd seen a really good deal on mantras that I knew would be great for him. She bought those but we didn't discuss bindings so the ski shop sold her some really expensive marker jester pros. Being a (typically careful with his money) yorkshireman he was grumbling. We were chuckling about how that would come in handy for all the big airs and monster hucks we (don't ever) do. First time he used them we had amazing snow but terrible visibility - cue a long series of keystone cops falls off all sorts of invisible off piste obstacles. Flips, barrel rolls, head plants - the lot. Despite that he didn't manage to get his bindings to release. After a particularly hilarious tumble I skied over "nice bindings mate but I reckon four bolts would have been better value for money".
snow report
@jedster, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Screaming Dave wrote:
Cripes! That was more controversial that I thought it would be . The point of the tip was that the safety sunglasses do have 99.9% UV protection and excellent quality optics, but they don't have any middle-class English girl pulling power, so I stand corrected on that point. Laughing

My next tip is using Screwfix rigger boots instead of expensive ski boots. Just attack a motorcycle inner tube to make some nice stout rubber bands to hold your skis on and Bob's yer Uncle (or yer builder, maybe). After your first run (or maybe even sooner) you'll have two nice broken ankles with accompanying casts. Get the docs to set your feet at the appropiate angel and problem solved!

Now, skis ....... Laughing

Heh - actually the rigger boots with soles designed for oil make incredibly good, waterproof snow boots for a fraction of the cost of the real thing. They're not brilliantly insulated, but a pair of cheap thermal wellington boot inserts works well for them (and your wellies).

I used mine all the time. Great for deep snow, working on my Land Rover in the cold, digging out the driveway; and very non-slip con ice, as the rubber in the soles is designed to cope with worse things, like oil.

Yes, they're ugly. But so are snow boots.
ski holidays
Oh, and on the rigger gloves. I had a pair, bought cheaply for my season. Great until you fall over in powder. At which point the lack of a long, closeable cuffs mean they fill with snow.

The reason ski patrollers ski in them? They're actually good skiers and don't fall over like the rest of us muppets.

And the sheepskin lined ones stink by the end of the season, by the way. Being unwashable, you have to bin them.

Just buy some Hestras like everyone else.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy