Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reims stopover

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, We normally drive through the night to get to the alps in one go, but this time have decided to stopover for a proper nights sleep at Reims. Can someone recommend the best cheapish place to stay please? Reasonably safe parking required!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This place was recommended on here recently http://www.hotels-akena.com/fr/rooms/hotel-low-cost-reims/ (not tried it yet), and we've used this one too http://relais-de-fleurette.fr/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@RobinS, We have used Ibis Styles Reims Cathedrale a few times recently. Pretty secure parking with a coded electronic gate, breakfast included and easy to get back onto the main route. Short walk to restaurants in the centre.

Ibis Reims Tinqueux also has decent parking. Not actually in central Reims so no sightseeing, but very near Carrefour supermarket with cheap fuel and a chance to stock up on provisions. Also easy access to the motorway.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RobinS, not sure if you have young family or not, but the second option has family suites which work out at around the same price as 2 double rooms. Their breakfast was also very reasonable and very good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've stayed at the Ibis Reims Tinqueux. Easy access, good value, clean and modern. Parking isn't 'secure' but seemed safe. Can't remember why but we struggled to find a restaurant that was open within walking distance and ended up with Mc Donalds the other side of the main roundabout.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isn't there a Courtepaille right there in the Ibis, I think Jon & I have slummed it over from the F1?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As @hells bells says, the Akena is way better than the cheap price would suggest. Used it last year and would definitely use again:)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobinS, Been a long time since I stopped in Reims, think it was before the Western bypass was opened.

I stayed in Ibis Tinqueux too. Good value but a long drive the following day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Ibis Tinquex and the food in Courtepaille (attached to hotel) is fine and better than McDonalds (IMHO in case McDonalds lawyers are reading this).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unless you are wanting to visit central Reims the hotels in the Tinqueux area are probably the most convenient for the motorway.
If you are travelling with a family the Novotel at Tinqueux has rooms for up to four and an onsite restaurant and large carpark. There is also a Carrefour over the road for fuel.

There is also an Ibis in the same area but I think it only has rooms for up to 3.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hotel BB at the Bezannes exit, is consistently good. Near the TGV Terminal.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.residhome.com/uk/hotel-residence-aparthotel-reims-233.html This is our preferred stopover which we have used several times. Really easy to find, just off the main road, yet an easy stroll to restaurants/bars if you want an evening meal. 24 hour reception, generally with someone with some English. We have rolled up at past mid-night with no reservation (though we do usually book) and specific requirements and been accommodated.

If you do stop there just pop down to reception for milk because for some reason there is non in the rooms!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are driving at a busy time it's worth stopping with the Reims péage gates behind you. That is, north of Reims if driving to Calais, south if driving to the Alps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As others have stated the Ibis Reims Tinqueux, the Courtepaille is part of it and they will do you a decent steak even if you walk in 5 minutes before closing, there is also a Novotel next door.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all - went to the Ibis website to look at the Tinqueux, but being a cheapskate got diverted to the Ibis Budget Reims Thillois which was about £10 cheaper (2* instead of 3*, but still with ensuite). So all booked for next Friday enroute to a season in the alps.
snow report
@RobinS, I've stayed there twice: it is fine. Unlike some hotels they still have a smokers' floor. If the smell of smoke is a problem for you (it is for me) it is worth requesting that they give you a room on a non-smoking floor. Reims has a magnificent cathedral - in the middle of a very depressing town.
ski holidays
@planeurge, Thanks, will bear that mind as I also hate smoke!
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
Hotel BB at the Bezannes exit, is consistently good. Near the TGV Terminal.

Doesn't have secure parking though.

The one in Chalons-en-Champagne does have secure parking.
snow conditions
Les Crayeres is alright. Food good but off the motorway.
No problems parking.
snow conditions
It's not cheap though so might not be best advice ever.
snow conditions
Well we stayed at Ibis Budget Reims Thillois, basic but clean and comfortable, reasonable breakfast at hotel and a choice of 4 restaurants within 5 minutes walk, plus a KFC and burger place. Also has an armed guard for a our car all night - though he may have been more interested in guarding the six police vans in the car aprk!
latest report
I stayed at the Mercure Cathedral this summer. Not especially cheap, but not expensive either. Really nice place, good restaurant and we were in Val at 11am the next day.

It has a secure underground car park.
latest report
Ibis Styles Cathédrale is good. We had a family room which slept 4 although it was a tight squeeze. Nice collection of restaurants in square where the old forum is, just a short walk. Car park just next door. We stayed at the Ibis right by the station once (in summer) and would not again. Area is rougher and the street of cheap restaurants nearby was rather depressing.
snow conditions
Hotel le renard near chalons en champagne. It's just off the motorway and has a decent restaurant. Stayed there twice, it's clean and perfect for a quick stop.
ski holidays
Quote:

Les Crayeres is alright.

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@Jonesj, is this the same Renard that right in the centre of Chalons? I can think of some others just off the motorway, but the Renard is definitely in town. We've stayed there a couple of times.
snow report
@Jonesj, is this the same Renard that right in the centre of Chalons? I can think of some others just off the motorway, but the Renard is definitely in town. We've stayed there a couple of times.
snow report
http://www.hotel-bb.com/en/home.htm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, you're right. I got it completely wrong. It was fine though as a stop over. The hotel I was thinking of was hotel LE VAL MORET. Also good for a stop over but out of town so nothing to see which isn't a problem if all you want to do is sleep and eat.
snow report
@Jonesj, ah ok, I wondered if it was either the Val Moret or the Auberge de Moissons. Prefer the latter, as the Val Moret is a bit too far south for us.
ski holidays
Ibis in Loan worked well for us, we were traveling from the SW so the short drive from Calais was good.
ski holidays
@Daleskier, Do you mean Laon ?
latest report
Back in the day when the 2 boys were still at school used to stop at the Novotel Tinqueux. They were (and still would be) free in a suite for 4.
ski holidays
Still on topic but a stopover further down from Reims.

Usually I do Serre in one hit from Calais or stay with my brother near Chambery, but next Sat we're on a 11:20 dept so we're stopping off at a rather stupendous place we've stayed at before in Tournus, many years ago.

It's a six hour hack (with one stop) so hopefully we should make dinner which from what I recall from last time was seriously "gourmand" !!

http://www.hotel-restaurant-terminus-tournus.fr/
ski holidays
Last year we stayed at Campanile Reims Centre - Cathedrale It was great, dinner was fair and a good price, parking under hotel.

This year we have got the tunnel booked for the Friday 10th feb, 1230 so getting down as far as Troyes, staying in Kyriad, looks nice.
snow report
+1 for the Novotel Reims Tinqueux. Room for four was pretty good but a walk from reception.
Easy to access from the motorway, breakfast buffet was very good and unofficially we got some great snacks for the rest of the car journey!

My other recommendation for the drive down to the alps is to get the Peage Toll reader from saneftolling.co.uk.
Bearing in mind the toll booths are on the wrong side for a Right Hand Drive car so you'll need a passenger who's always going to be awake and about 80 euros each way in cash.
With the toll reader/pass thingy stuck in the windscreen you can drive through some of the booths at 30kmh.
Easy peasy!

Good luck and enjoy your journey...
latest report
Quote:

My other recommendation for the drive down to the alps is to get the Peage Toll reader from saneftolling.co.uk.

+1 for this, made our travel so much easier - and interestingly, they don't bill you till the end of the month, so money in your bank for longer is always good!
Although I found it slightly scary, when you're driving at the barrier at 30kmh, getting closer, wondering "will it open"...(it always does, of course!)
latest report
Quote:

you'll need a passenger who's always going to be awake and about 80 euros each way in cash.

or a driver with a credit card who is not averse to stretching her legs a few times in 550 miles. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy