Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots Baggage Problem

Poster: A snowHead
+1 for taking boots on BA in hand luggage. Advice try and use a rucksack rather than a boot bag and pack them tetris style as another chap posted. Much less obvious.

Another bit of advice here that is universal in the days of not always being allowed to take luggage onboard with you is a bit of psychology. I have a roller rucksack I use for trips just fits into hand luggage category but I can get a lot into it. it has roller wheels and handle. However as soon as i get to gate I fold away the handle and sling it on my shoulder. I have noticed over the years that anyone who is voluntarily carrying their luggage in the line rather than having it on the floor gets a pass, as the assumption is that it must be light if you have not put it on the floor and they sail past you and ask someone with a tiny little rucksack if they mind it going in the hold Smile

G
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey guys, resurrecting this post again, just a slightly different but related question. So I'm going with the boots in hand luggage suitcase option but I'd also like to know if I could get away with a small rucksack with a few bits and bobs in (snacks, documents etc). It will fit within the dimensions of the additional 'handbag/laptop' bag its just that its a ruck-sack, do you reckon that would be OK?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bendiddley, if it fits in the dimensions surely it could be a puppy in a condom and they shouldn't bat an eyelid.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lol
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just flew to Tenerife with BA. Kept a close eye on the bags they allowed. Decent sized 'man bags' seemed okay as the extra bag. Thinking of something for iPad and full sized headphones.

I am flying with FlyMayBe skiing in March and their carry on luggage is even worse than the above airlines. Just bought an Osprey 40 litre travel back pack to be within their limits. Boots will fit fine.

I do a few Business Class flights in Europe/ Geneva a year purely with my BA Amex monthly spend. £50 and points. Can happily ignore BA economy restrictions. Make your credit card work for you!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boots in hand luggage last weekend on BA
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boots in hand luggage on easyJet and BA every time and never had a problem. has something changed with EasyJet as eluded to earlier in this thread?

Ta.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nothing changed I've just asked about taking a backpack instead of laptop bag for the second piece of hand luggage that's all.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bendiddley wrote:
Hey guys, resurrecting this post again, just a slightly different but related question. So I'm going with the boots in hand luggage suitcase option but I'd also like to know if I could get away with a small rucksack with a few bits and bobs in (snacks, documents etc). It will fit within the dimensions of the additional 'handbag/laptop' bag its just that its a ruck-sack, do you reckon that would be OK?

Yes it will be fine and you'll be expected to place it under your seat.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never had any issues with even a large laptop bag (the joys of having to cart 3 laptops because every fecking client feels it necessary to give you one of their laptops to access their systems) on BA. Never been questioned about it's size or asked to open it and show its contents.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers guys
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flying Jet2. Anyone know if they check your hand luggage for boots? Normally pack all the basics around my boots 'just in case' (pun) the hold luggage disappears.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm flying BA to Zurich next Saturday, are they actually strict in terms of checking if you have your boots packed with your skis? It's easier for me to just pack my boots in my ski bag, but can take them as hand luggage if they're going to be pinickity about it...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boots in hand luggage on BB with BA & on several other holidays with Easyjet and confirmed this holiday with Monarch...

We put them in ruck sacks (keeps hands free), never had any questions or security checks....

I've seen people with boots in boot bags and they've not had any issues that I have seen.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bendiddley wrote:
Hi All. Going skiing in March next year with BA, flying heathrow to innsbruck and I've got into a bit of a head mash trying to work out how I can take my ski boots without paying for an additional bag (£60 each way). My fare currently allows for 1 checked bag up to 23kg which was going to be my skis. My boots were going to go in a hand luggage suitcase, but I've just rung BA and they say you can't take boots in hand luggage. So I asked if can they be packed with skis, they said no. So where do my boots go??? Has anyone had experience of this and offer suggestions of what to do? Cheers.

I've taken boots as hand luggage on BA to Innsbruck.
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
I bought a light weight canvas carry on bag specifically to take boots as hand luggage. No point in using a padded bag, the padding is just wasted weight. Place a layer of clothes in the bag, fleece etc then boots in 69 position, filled with socks etc (put boots in carrier bags if they are dirty) pack other clothes around the boots and finally another layer over the top. Should be about 8kg, everything else in the ski bag but be careful, I think it was a small tube of sunscreen that I threw in loose that found its way to the end of the bag and got burst by the skis, big mess Embarassed

Good idea! My monster Salomon boots (the biggest shell size) barely fit in a normal ski bag and are too wide in theory (though BA haven't minded before); may try your method of packing them as my carry on!
latest report
Whats the chance's of successfully taking a boot bag on as a substitute for a laptop bag, i.e. taking a cabin compliant rucksack and a boot bag?
snow report

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 8-12-16 22:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Scrumpy wrote:
debtors#2 wrote:
Whats the chance's of successfully taking a boot bag on as a substitute for a laptop bag, i.e. taking a cabin compliant rucksack and a boot bag?

Very low I would think. 🃏

Unless packed flat with no boots in it of course.....
latest report
For the princely sum of £12.99, this carries my boots, helmet and a whole load of clothes. Despite having wheels, it weighs almost nothing and packs flat when not in use. I love it. http://tinyurl.com/j6euy3u
Everything else goes in my ski bag, sub 23kg in weight, therefore no ski carriage to pay. Sorted.
snow conditions
Hey guys. Another quicky, do you reckon I could get away with putting the outer shell of one of my ski boots in my laptop bag or rucksack which ever I decide, it will still be within the maximum depth dimensions for the second piece of hand luggage which is 15cm. I just can't fit the ski boots and my helmet in a cabin suitcase without it going over the depth limit. What do you think?
snow report
@bendiddley, a. Maybe. B. You must be rubbish at packing or have an enormous head.
ski holidays
I can fit it all in but the depth is right on 25cm when I close the suitcase, the max for BA, if not a smidge over, it just feels a bit too close for my liking.
latest report
@bendiddley, It is a long time since I have seen any airline check the size of hand luggage except by eye so you will be very unlucky not to get away with it.
latest report
I've seen bags checked for size by weighing them and putting them in the cage thingy several times in the past couple of years.
ski holidays
Rabbie wrote:
@bendiddley, It is a long time since I have seen any airline check the size of hand luggage except by eye so you will be very unlucky not to get away with it.
both my wheelie case and backpack were measured by BA at Geneva last weekend
latest report
@holidayloverxx, mine too.
latest report
I use a duffel bag that's 50.5 x 20.5 x 29cm for hand luggage, no problems so far. https://marmot.com/products/details/long-hauler-duffle-bag-small. For the PSB I fitted in ski boots, helmet, salopettes etc - everything needed to ski just in case skis got lost and I need to hire skis for a day or two. It was probably over weight limit, but I've only had hand luggage weighed once or twice, and I fly almost every week. . ..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys. Other than size there isn't really any other reason the single ski boot shell in the 2nd piece of hand luggage would be refused is there? I mean it's no different to having it in the hand luggage suitcase is it?
snow report
@bendiddley, well given the overwhelming evidence here is that most of us take boots in cabin baggage then I see no difference if it is in the suitcase or backpack. BA really don't care what you take as long as its not on the prohibited list
latest report
I have a Snokart cabin bag that's official sized and takes my boots ,laptop ,and all manner of gubbins , BA allow up to 23kgs of hand luggage PLUS another laptop sized bag if you need too .

If traveling alone , ski's and clothes go into a double ski bag up to 23kgs , never had an issue on many flights with BA
latest report
harvsurrey wrote:
I have a Snokart cabin bag that's official sized and takes my boots ,laptop ,and all manner of gubbins , BA allow up to 23kgs of hand luggage PLUS another laptop sized bag if you need too .

If traveling alone , ski's and clothes go into a double ski bag up to 23kgs , never had an issue on many flights with BA

Thanks. Do you think it would fit a ski helmet?
snow conditions
bendiddley wrote:
harvsurrey wrote:

Thanks. Do you think it would fit a ski helmet?

...as well as the boots.
ski holidays
Okay, well it seems like I'll be taking ski boots as cabin baggage, my small rucksack as laptop bag and double ski bag with skis, clothes and helmet
ski holidays
lewisb22 wrote:
Okay, well it seems like I'll be taking ski boots as cabin baggage, my small rucksack as laptop bag and double ski bag with skis, clothes and helmet

What double ski bag do you have?
snow report
@bendiddley, Dakine Fall Line, it's excellent. When I went to New Zealand for a season I put all my gear in there.

Although with BA I can't do that because of the 23kg limit.
snow report
Snowboard bag, you'll get everything and the kitchen sink in there
snow report
Do you think that we could get away with putting ski boots in the snowboard bag which has snowboard boots in aswell?
ski holidays
Gyro wrote:
Snowboard bag, you'll get everything and the kitchen sink in there

Except your skis wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy