Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Team confirmed for Winter Olympics ... with no freestylers

Poster: A snowHead
Britain's team for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin was confirmed yesterday, as follows:

Dan Wakeham (first male Brit snowboarder to compete in the Olympics)
Lesley McKenna, Kate Foster and Zoe Gillings (female snowboarding squad)
Alain Baxter, Noel Baxter, Finlay Mickel, James Leuzinger and Roger Cruickshank (male skiing team)
Chemmy Alcott (sole female skier)

There will be no British freestylers or ski jumpers.

Reports from BBC Sport ... The Scotsman.
Any comments on the line-up? Any obvious omissions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith,

seems a real shame that we have no more female skiers coming through the system, but in saying this I think this might well be Chemmy's year
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unfortunately I cannot see beyond a medal for Lesley McKenna and a very remote outside chance of Finlay picking up a Bronze but only due to the fact that most countries can only enter 3 per discipline.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Unfortunately I cannot see beyond a medal for Lesley McKenna and a very remote outside chance of Finlay picking up a Bronze but only due to the fact that most countries can only enter 3 per discipline.

Best chances of medals are in the bobsleigh, skeleton and luge as we have world silver medalists and competitors who are finishing in the top 5 in world cup events.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting thread started on this earlier today on MySnowSports by Stuart, the Snowsport England chairman.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Indeed - extracted from that thread is this comment, by 'escmatters':
Quote:
But where are the freestyle competitor(s), Simon Bates put in the best British mogul skiing result in 10 years at Lake Placid last weekend with a top 30 finish scoring World Cup points.

If it was 2002, he would have been going to the Olympics, but not on the impossibly (stupid?) high qualifying standard set for 2006.

Britain has had a very prominent freestyle ski team in past World Cup and Olympic competition. What's happening?
What is the relative standing of Roger Cruickshank (racer, Olympic qualified) to Simon Bates (freestyle, not Olympic qualified), in terms of eligibility?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am assuming that everyone posting in this thread so far is form the UK (either living here or originally from here)

SO WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ALL SO ANTI OUR TEAM, if fellow skiers think they dont stand a chance what hope have the skiers & boarders of the future got,

skiing... there is no point taking up skiing you will never win you are british!!!!

seems to be the attitude around here, and quite frankly it really gets on my wick

give the guys the support they deserve, we are not an alpine country but we do have some great competitors just look at Alains result in the last olympics un til the vicks scandal. Chemmy and Findlay are regulars in the top twenty and I am sure they can rise to the occasion.
the snowboarding team are doing well and getting better with every event

as for the other disciplines we stand a chance there as well so why all the negativity

ok rant over
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
why all the negativity

Er - what negativity?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That seems to be a rant too far.

In what sense is there an 'anti-team theme' to this thread?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
About the negativity, I was firstly making my comments about the alpine ski and snowboard team only. Secondly as far as I am concerned I am being realistic.

Chemmy is our only female skier and unfortunately her current form is not showing any signs that she can up the quality to threaten for a medal. Alain Baxter I don't think has even qualified for a second run yet this season and if he has he hasn't come any where near a top ten finish. In fact for a second year running we have had the typical press release that he is posting great times in training and he his trying to replicate this in competition.Neol as had to return to European cup competitions to try and even get some sort of form. Roger Cruickshank is just returning from a major injury and I have to apologise but i haven't even heard of James Leuzinger or Kate Foster. Zoe although as posted some good results I don't think she is back to her form that she showed before her accident.

This leave Finley and Leslie. Leslie is already at the top of her field and Finley as been rapidly progressing with each competition and hopefully if he carries his form into the olympics then I can see him nicking a bronze medal all be it a very slim chance.

Nobody would be more delighted than me if our ski and snowboard team perform miricals but please lets not try and make our competitors out to be better than what they actually are or we will end up with these guys having so much pressure put on them that is really beyond thier abilities. ( Think Tim Henman ).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith,

Quote:

Unfortunately I cannot see beyond a medal for Lesley McKenna and a very remote outside chance of Finlay picking up a Bronze

this plus various comments on other threads would apear pretty negative to me, but hey if you don't think it is then who am i to argue
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think we're going to get 10 golds! Is that better? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guys,... it is not a personal attack on anyone, i just feel very passionately about the whole thing. over the past 10 years or so i have given up a lot of time, resourses and product to try and help out national team members, working with various mebers of the home nations squads and the National team members at either no cost or greatly reduced cost. i do not regret one thing about the amount of effort that has been put in to try and help out athletes, there are times that national governing bodies decline help as they think that they have an answer, (unfortunately their answer is often to do nothing) we are not an alpine nation but with the right amount of support ....and prehaps a little lottery cash we can be up there with the best of them (i believe, (and this was the case 2 years ago and may have changed)that you can get funding if you are scottish as there are mountains, but Chemmy and other english members of the team do not get a penny from lottery funds as there are no mountains) how warped is that. they are all members of the GB national team, surely they should all get the same level of help

a classic example is how the factories treat our racers, it is no secret what i do, and in the past i was involved with Chemmy's boot fitting (when she was on Salomon kit), you may have seen last year the problems that she had with her foot this has happend since she has moved to tecnica, the factory techs basically did not consider it necessary to stretch the boot, instead they just ground a bit out but only after the problem was so serious that she could not ski (, even then they ground right through and covered the hole with tape). now how is that helping our guys out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM don't disagree with your comments but wanting our guys ( and gals ) to do well and support them is what we should be doing but lets not get carried away and mix that with carrying over expectation of our athletes ( which adds pressure to them ).

You know in our country if we start saying Finley's going to win gold and then only finished fourth everybody would start saying how disappointing Finley was instead of saying with the resources that we have against the main Alpine nations and shear numbers of athletes Finley's acheivement would have been fanatastic.

If he did even come fourth this should get him onto the honours list.

Finley Mickel MBE as a nice sound to it. ( Sounds much better than Sir Alex ).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Super Eagle,

fair point, but you see were i am coming from

lets just give these guys the support they deserve rather than putting down at every opporunity
ski holidays
CEM Bearing in mind our present governments attitude of giving honours to sports people who have performed well.

Did they give honours to our curling team who struck gold at the last Olympics and also have the Bell brothers or at least Martin been granted honours.

If not surely this proves that our present government only use the honours system to seek additional publicity instead of giving awards to those who performed and acheived success at the highest level in their sport whilst getting little financial support.

Eddie the Eagle - OBE
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Indeed - extracted from that thread is this comment, by 'escmatters':
Quote:
But where are the freestyle competitor(s), Simon Bates put in the best British mogul skiing result in 10 years at Lake Placid last weekend with a top 30 finish scoring World Cup points.

If it was 2002, he would have been going to the Olympics, but not on the impossibly (stupid?) high qualifying standard set for 2006.

Britain has had a very prominent freestyle ski team in past World Cup and Olympic competition. What's happening?
What is the relative standing of Roger Cruickshank (racer, Olympic qualified) to Simon Bates (freestyle, not Olympic qualified), in terms of eligibility?

Simon Bates himself has raised some interesting questions, and challenged the powers-that-be, over on this MySnowSports thread today.

He begins his post with the following:
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has posted above, and for the words of support. I just found this forum today. Perhaps I can go over a few things from my perspective:

On 23rd June 2004 I called Mark Tilston as Snowsport GB Performance Director asking what support he could give me going towards the 2006 Olympics. His response was that I was never going to improve or qualify and that I should stop wasting time and quit.

He continues:
Quote:
I was raised with the view that in sport you should play by the published rules. I have done this but Snowsport GB and BOA haven't. Stopping me from going isn't going to make Britain better at Freestyle Skiing. By letting me go I could build on my recent successes to take the sport further and encourage the next generation to do better still.

It's worth noting that 2 of those selected for Alpine Racing have only competed in 1 World Cup each. One placed 50th out of 55 men in a Downhill and the other was outside the top 30 for slalom so didn't qualify for the 2nd run. By my calculations, coming 29th means 28 places from winning whereas coming 50th is 49 places away. I sure anyone out there can figure out who would have the best chance of a good result. Despite this inequality from Snowsport GB/BOA, I wish success to all of our athletes. It's not their fault that the system is biased/flawed.

My MP has raised this issue with BOA and is still chasing them for a response.

And concludes:
Quote:
Again thanks to everyone back home for all the support. Tomorrow I am competing in a World Cup in Czech. I am NOT competing for Snowsport GB/BOA but I AM competing for all those out there in the UK who believe in fair play and want to see Britain perform well in all sports.

Regards,
Simon Bates.
British Freestyle Ski Team

So not a happy man. Taking part in a World Cup event tomorrow in the right frame of mind given this situation can't be easy.

With reference to your query ref Roger Cruickshank DG, he was well off the pace towards the bottom of the field in Les Houches in the two training runs. We shall see how he fares in the race proper tomorrow.

Simon Bates has also began a separate thread on MSS entitled "Where's the equality?".

Comments in support - or otherwise - either here or on Simon's thread over on MSS would be welcome. It would be interesting to test the water to see what snowHeads think. Perhaps we could pass on our collective views to Snowsport GB?
latest report
I know freestyle is not everyone's cup of tea, but it would be good to pass on snowHead's views on the principles involved here, even if we can't really pass comment on the technicalities...

Above you've got the heartfelt reponse from an Olympic candidate who achieved the minimum Olympic qualifying standard but failed to reach the heights set by our own committee.

He achieved this despite no funding, and no support from our governing body.

Personally I reckon sportsmen of this ilk deserve to get a chance, however likely they are to win a medal!

Please read Simon's comments, and it would be good to hear some snowHead thoughts!
latest report
If Simon Bates has achieved an Olympic qualifying standard, or a standard that's superior to other British athletes competing at Turin, then clearly he should be at Turin.
ski holidays
It seems to me that Simon is being badly treated, personally I would liked to have seen him ski-ing for Britain at the Olympics. Is resourcing really such that it makes sense to be so rigid about entry to the team? Or isn't this a question about resourcing?

...and I'd like to wish Simon the best of luck in his future competitions.
ski holidays
Is the only IOC qualification (rather than the BOC) simply 140 FIS points in Alpine disciplines? If it is, there are several UK competitors who have the qualifcation level but haven't been selected for the Games.

I'd like to see British competitors in as many disciplines as possible, including Simon who does indeed seem to have been harshly treated. Surely one of the BOC's objectives should be to get as much UK interest in the Winter Games as possible, and what better way than ensuring that as many UK athletes as possible actually compete? It can't be about the cost of getting the athlete to Turin, can it? Perhaps the UK's Alpine Performance Director has an unreasonably high expectation? Or maybe he just doesn't like Simon Bates? Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem right, either for the athlete or for TV viewers like me who enjoy having a bit of UK interest in these minority sports.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, yes that occurred to me to earlier. I suppose the difference is that in a discipline where there is tough competition for places there is understandably going to be some people missing out. But where there is only one or two, would - or should - you exclude him/her/them from living the dream? Especially someone who has achieved that level with no backing from the sport's authorities (unlike the alpine team?)

Difficult. I suppose one could equally suggest that Kwame, had he been able to scrape the 140 points needed, should be stopped from competiting by the Ghanaians on the grounds that he has no chance of a medal.

Shouldn't be forgotten though that Simon has actually scored World Cup points by finishing in the top 30 in his last but one competition, this year. Other than Chemmy and Finlay, no alpine competitors have managed this during the 2005/6 season, and some (such as Roger Cruickshank) have never even come remotely close (whilst accepting that he did achieve one very good result in Europa Cup).
latest report
PG, in my opinion, if athletes meet the IOC qualification then they should be allowed to compete, selecting as many as possible until the national quota is filled. For a seperate discussion, I'd also like to see the IOC qualification thresholds increased, so that the competition is truly world class athletes only. But in the meantime, if UK athletes have qualified then they should be allowed to privilege of attending the Games.
snow report
Here is the actual video (5Mb) of Simon's World Cup points earning run, including the flip that was unheard of four years previously. Scored on both the technical aspect plus the speed of the run (which is what cost him some points, a little slow he says). Looks b... fast to me!
snow conditions
Quote:
Again thanks for the messages of support. I was the last athlete down the course in Czech so had plenty of time between training and the event to read them. I got my highest score of the season so far so pretty happy with that.

I'm now back home taking a break. The past 2 weeks or so were tiring - competing and fighting Snowsport GB at the same time.

Although I'm not going to the Olympics, I know there's a lot of people out there that see how badly Snowsport GB has treated Freestyle Skiing. If that changes now then I know that I'll have achieved something bigger - equality, and the chance for the next generation to place in future Olympics.

Simon.
snow report
PG, this is (obviously) not the first time a free styler has been discriminated against.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy