Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aldi ski gear Sun 27 Nov

Poster: A snowHead
@dklemm, think your son looks more impressed with the cost savings Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was a bit of a scramble over here, so I sent in the Mrs as she's nails.

She nicked a few fleeces and base layers from other shoppers baskets while I kept the engine running.

It was like a scene from Mad Max as we screamed out of the car park.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny996 wrote:
The merino base layers were the only thing to be sold out within 15 minutes, do wonder if some EBay seller had taken them all

I bought some of these but returned them today as they were a bit itchy and rough. Will stick with my Millets layers for yet another season, much to the shame of my wife and kids.

Aldi helmets though are a different story - great colours this year. No purple ones though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jesus wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
The merino base layers were the only thing to be sold out within 15 minutes, do wonder if some EBay seller had taken them all

I bought some of these but returned them today as they were a bit itchy and rough. Will stick with my Millets layers for yet another season, much to the shame of my wife and kids.

Aldi helmets though are a different story - great colours this year. No purple ones though.

I'm also returning a number of merino base layers because they very itchy and uncomfortable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wasn't particularly impressed with what was on offer in Bournemouth (mind you we didn't get there till nearly 11). I wouldn't have bought any of it, but Mrs M wasn't going to turn down a retail opportunity Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ooh. Have just put mine on to see if itchy and uncomfortable and agree with above. What a pain Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ahhh, that takes the pain out of not getting any base layers. Got to say the Merino mid layers are fine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You really need the superfine merino stuff...anything else is unbearable.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got some base layers last year and yes they were itchy (not so bad now they have been washed a few times).

Bought one of the 'zip' tops yesterday (the red and black one) and it appears 'smoother' with no itch.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dklemm Your kid's gear looks great, but you might want to pop back to Aldi and see if they sell skirting board ? Laughing

I've never got on with Merino stuff, I always find it a tad itchy so I just avoid it now. I'm a single brand whore for base layer and wear Immersion Research stuff - it's nice and fleecey on the inside so super comfy and wicks and drys really well so works well on warm days too. I quite often just wear an IR thermal and my ski jacket.

Anyway, back to Aldi. The 30 day aged Aberdeen Angus sirloin is the best steak, I think, you can buy a UK supermarket.... and cheaper than a 21 day non-Angus Sainsburys Taste The Difference, and it's generally a nicer thicker cut too.

... And I too am gutted Aldi didn't release the Pro-range this year as I was going to buy both jacket and trousers. The choice now is do I blag through this season with jacket and trousers with broken pockets and zips and worn knees and wait till 2017 end of season sales or are there other bargains to be had elsewhere ? I tried TK Chavs in Guildford over the weekend but the choice was exceptionally limited. I'm not sure where else to try Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gazzza, Trespass and Mountain Warehouse are always worth a look for jackets etc at not ridiculous prices.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Popped in this evening and snagged me a couple of Merino tops and a pair of long johns. Still loads of the other stuff piled up too.

Oh, and only one tentative matriarch type that thankfully seemed mostly disinterested.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Be careful when buying the ski goggles in Aldi. Although there is nothing on the outside packaging saying what strength of protection they have, if you look inside at the goggles themselves there are different kinds of stickers on the goggles saying which strength of protection. I got a pair for my daughter (adult size) and when I got them home I found the sticker saying "S2" which isn't strong enough for snow according to the outer packaging protection levels guide. When I was next in Aldi I looked inside the boxes at some more of the goggles and found that some are "S3" & some are "S2". I have since exchanged the goggles for the "S3" version with no problems at all. I'm still a fan of Aldi & the ski jacket we got seems very good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kieranm wrote:
@Gazzza, Trespass and Mountain Warehouse are always worth a look for jackets etc at not ridiculous prices.

I got the mushette some MW merino base layers via the Tesco Direct web site. Not sure how that works, but the price was very good and she loves them. In general I think MW prices are over the top for what you are getting, even in their sales. They certainly seem to price for the reductions.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Be careful when buying the ski goggles in Aldi. Although there is nothing on the outside packaging saying what strength of protection they have,

Odd. All the goggles boxes in my local Aldi have the "S2" or "S3" printed on the back of the packaging along side the features stuff. Maybe they have different batches across the country or old stock? e.g. I think the helmets are the same as last years.
latest report
Seems to be plenty of mixed reviews with the ski wear so not sure what to do now. Last year we bought some base layers from Lidl and I must say they were ok but the ones we bought from decathlon were much better and I think for top and trousers it worked out at a similar price. We got our kids jacket and trousers from Decathlon which again were excellent. My wife had some stuff from mandmdirect which was excellent so will probably have a mixture again next year.
snow conditions
@albob, I've just bought one of the zip tops and it seems very good and not itchy.
snow conditions
Anyone with girls age 10-12 I have just seen these on MandM Direct http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/UC244/Urban-Beach-Girls-5000-5000-Pasture-Salopettes-Bark for £8 but £12 with delivery
snow report
My local store has very little left. I did manage to get my son a jacket and salopettes for use at the plastic mountain this winter. He liked the jacket but says the salopettes 'feel funny' on his legs. Feeling inside it seems the liner is very cheap and has the feel of a poly bag. Sad
snow conditions
Mountaindoc wrote:
Ooh. Have just put mine on to see if itchy and uncomfortable and agree with above. What a pain Sad

I thought that when I first put it one, but after about 10 minutes of wear, it was fine. Washing them with a good slug of conditioner also helps.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:

Aldi stuff now appearing on t'bay ( but dearer!!)

e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-100-Pure-Merino-Wool-Large-Long-Sleeved-Thermal-T-Shirt-Top-Grey-and-Black/222322384741?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D1493d1cff11040b9a9d1da1a248c85d8%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D272476312220
latest report
@albob, p*sses me off Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
More ski gear from Thursday, 12th January:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/dates/thursday-12th-january/c/2017-01-12

Again, the page is not populated yet but should be soon. The paper brochure is available in store now.

Seems to be different gear than before - this time branded "Ski Pro". Perhaps not as wide a choice but all the basics are there.
ski holidays
I found the sizing for the merino tops pretty bad - the smallest size available, medium, is to fit a 40 inch chest I think. I was positively swimming in it and I'm not exactly rake thin!
ski holidays
Aldi always caters for casual chubbies in its sports gear!
latest report
@Ouster, I knew what size I needed from previous sales. This time however it said "New improved sizing" on the boxes. What use is that? Are they bigger, smaller or just a better cut Puzzled Turns out they're bigger but a quick hot wash and they now fit OK Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Silk/Merino socks have returned . . .ignore buying a batch at your peril!

3/4 undies look value and worth a punt . . . gonna get a merino beanie as my under helmet skull cap has seen better days . . .
ski holidays
my dearly beloved Head helmet has taken a couple of belts in previous seasons, so my dearly beloved lady came back from Aldi with a nice silver-grey new helmet for me. Skiing in it next week, but I have to say it fits better than any helmet I've had, so I'm well pleased.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was given a set of Aldi gear this winter to try out. Last year I was in Wedze's finest, and before that, Quicksilver, and Nevica.
Anyway, it's warm enough ( so far ) but not as breathable as the Wedze stuff, so if you perspire, the moisture stays inside the trousers, and can make you cold later in the day. The jacket only has 3 pockets with zips, and the ski pass pocket is pretty small compared to other ones I have had. However given that I did not pay for the jacket and trousers, I am not complaining.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy