Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2016/2017 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Cheers for the updates @UkuleleDave, keep em coming throughout the week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No change on the weather front here, but it's got a good deal busier. There's a big queue for the magic carpet, but other than that everything is moving well - we've not really had to wait for more than a couple of minutes at any lifts.

Snow-forecast.com is suggesting a flurry into tomorrow morning which would be nice. The snow cannons were on this morning again so there's a fair bit of artificial snow lying around on top of a harder base. It's holding up well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow! Well, a dusting down in Flaine itself.

Cannons are on again this morning.

We're shipping out at lunchtime, and our checkout time means that the four hour lift pass wasn't going to be worthwhile, so that's it from me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from Flaine. 45 min drive from Samoens and we were pleasantly surprised. Took the DMC and skied serpentine. Top half of piste good, bit icy further down. Too chair back up ( freezing as the sun wasn't out) skied Faust then down to Aup de Veran to ski Mephisto. All pistes fairly quiet. Nice lunch then repeat... more skiing than I thought we'd get.
Skied Les gets on Thursday . 2 pistes open, ok if you have any beginners. Going to avoriaz Wednesday so will send an update from there... all in all, we had a good day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should find out today which lifts/pistes will be open for next week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going out to grand massif 28th -praying for the snow gods
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you have transport, I can recommend avoriaz . Had a great day skiing yesterday. Plenty open. Samoens has opened the chariande express and Dahu and Marmottes. Just heading up. Will let you know later if it was worth it !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AP1, how was it today?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Freestyle, they have done a great job to get anything open. Ok it's not what we are used to, but we had fun. Not the best day to learn how to board as a 50 year old.. 2 pistes open, icy in places, but the sun shone and the restaurants still served beer !! Pistes were pretty quiet
Just make the best of it . €16 for a day pass
Feel more for the businesses . Samoens so quiet this evening. Restaurant owner said village
Was only 18% occupied due to cancellations
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@AP1, how are the runs in Flaine looking?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had a good day in flaine on Monday. Good up top, icy further down. More to ski than we expected. @mikeycharlton, depends where you are staying. If I had to choose avoriaz is your best bet, although we are going to courmayeur on Saturday . Never been but heard conditions are pretty good
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AP1, are there any ski pass restrictions at Avoriaz? We are thinking of heading over there this Saturday and using the freebie ticket that comes with the GM season pass. If they are not accepting them, we'll head to Flaine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rachelharrisonsmith,
Hi , can't help you there. We use ski a la carte so we are not just tied to the GM. We paid €35 for Avoriaz and PDS. I don't see why they wouldn't. Give them a ring..enjoy whatever you decide
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AP1, thanks. I think that we'll risk it. Looking at the PDS thread, it will be worth it!

Is ski a la carte a way of getting passes across the area or what you mean by buying daily passes? If it's the former it may be an option for us for future years as buying an annual pass is almost not worth it (though it is very easy!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rachelharrisonsmith,
https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/

Take a look at the link. It cover quite a few resorts including GM but not PDS. You have a ski pass so need to buy every day
There is a daily discount of 10% and each Saturday is 40%. After 9 days every 5th day is charged at €1. All done on line.
It means when the weather is like this you can go elsewhere on not ski all and don't feel you have paid for something you are not using. We used to get the season pass but think this is the best way to go. Enjoy avoriaz....think we are heading there too tomorrow....
ski holidays
@AP1, thanks very much. That looks to be a very interesting proposition. I'll need to do some maths to work out whether it will be better as I note that there is no discount for children (and we have two!), but we do like to ski elsewhere. It can get very complicated.

I'm currently looking at Les Menuires for a couple of days next week (mainly as there is a one day freebie with the GM pass and its high) - just need to work out an overnight stop as there is no point travelling all that way for one day.

Enjoy Avoriaz - we'll be travelling over bright and early to miss the lift queues.
latest report
I'm guessing the Gers bowl isn't shaping up to well at the moment?
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
I'm guessing the Gers bowl isn't shaping up to well at the moment?

No surprise there though, Gers is rarely open before the New Year iirc!
snow conditions
@On the rocks, Skied past the top of Gers bowl this afternoon, (the access blue is open.......it made a change...........just dodge the rocks), the bowl has snow at the top, but then lots of patches, rocks and grass / bushes.........unless there is a lot of new snow it will not be open for a very long time.

As far as les carroz is concerned they have made enough snow, carted it about, and then pisted the top of combe, which they have classified as red (not its usual blue) and its open down to gron chair, you can then ski down the green back to the gondola. It will be open from Sunday.
snow report
@Zorrac, thanks for the update, another 6 weeks until I get there so HOPEFULLY time for it to improve
snow conditions
@On the rocks, I hope it will as well, back for quite a bit of jan and feb, its my favourite area, especially Veret going into Gers.

Flaine is a bit limited at the moment, The best snow is on the blue from aup de veran gondola, its hard and a bit sugary, but it has the least rocks and stones and thin bits.

From the DMC, the top end of faust is also good, hard and sugary again, plus around the piste poles is ok for a bit of fun, but as soon as you get towards the split to diamant noir or desert blanc it gets thin, and down towards desert blanc there are lots of very thin bits, and rocks sticking out.

Off the top of desert blanc its really good down the selection of blues to the left, until you get about half way down and again it gets thin, with stones and rocks.

Below desert blanc there are lots of thin bits and yellow/black poles all over the place, going left seemed better than right, and skiing off the side seemed better than the piste.

On the way back home walking back to the car park, you could see tormaline that runs into Flaine from top of Grand Vans and it looked virtually complete, but not very wide, however the end near the start of Grand Vans is very thin or just no snow. On the way home looking at Vernant bowl it looked very patchy, and can't see anything opening there at all.

take care if your skiing next week.
latest report
Hi all - so links between resorts are not open?
snow report
@Freestyle, no links open at all
snow conditions
@rachelharrisonsmith,

How was avoriaz. Planning on going up tomorrow. Courmayeur was in fantastic shape . Only 1 hr 10 from Samoens. 50 euros for Mont Blanc tunnel is a bit steep, but was worth it
latest report
@AP1, we were amazed at the condition of the pistes and had a good day skiing, starting out at the pistes to the right(?) of Avoriaz and then heading over to Chatel. We met some friends for lunch who mailed me today to say that the condition of the slopes had deteriorated since yesterday, but (as you know) there is still more open than in the GM. We went to Flaine today and gave up after about three hours as it was getting too warm and we'd done every open run at least twice.

We are heading over to Italy in the new year as the children are racing at Crevacol (small resort above Aosta), but I'll take a look at Courmayer for this week as I don't fancy a day of Sairon circuits.

We are still considering going back to Avoriaz this week as even if it is a bit slushy at the bottom there are still sufficient options to ski for a day. We've got family arriving mid week who have lessons booked in GM so we need to travel whilst we can!

Enjoy Avoriaz if you decide to go and let me know how you get on
snow conditions
Is the happy days pass discounted weekends no longer available? I can't see it on the website.
latest report
@ringingmaster, I have a season pass, but I think happy days has gone, replaced by

http://winter.grand-massif.com/skillico
ski holidays
Zorrac wrote:
@ringingmaster, I have a season pass, but I think happy days has gone, replaced by

http://winter.grand-massif.com/
Code:
skillico

Thanks Zorrac,

Shame as that was great value for a single weekend. The joining fee for skillico makes it only really suitable for locals.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Conditions right up the top in Flaine are decent. Problem is that they get worse pretty quickly as you start dropping down.
Quite a few rocks starting to poke out through the piste - not pleasant.

Drove through Carroz and Morillion on the way up and the mountains are almost totally bare.
ski holidays
@rachelharrisonsmith,

Had good fun at avoriaz yesterday although it was much busier than last week and some of the pistes are getting worse...Got to remember we are still skiing on Novembers snow.....
A lazy day today on the balcony in the sun. Might go for a cycle. My 2 daughters have gone to morillon and tried to persuade me but think I have the better deal...
snow conditions
@AP1, I'm assuming that there was still enough to keep you busy for the day? I'm amazed at how well the pisteures manage to keep the slopes open.

We skied a few runs of Sairon yesterday, but it was all rather soft, so I think that you made a wise choice! ESF Morillon sorted out a day in Club ESF for our two at Flaine today (we have some private lessons booked for later in the week, but they weren't confident about whether they would be able to run them) and we all had a great time. The children got some serious mileage in and we did multiple laps of Dimante Noir and the DMC. Back tomorrow for more of the same. Its definitely busier than last week (apparently, a lot of people have arrived yesterday/today), but the pistes are holding up. Lots of artificial snow, but no slush. As ever, its very rocky near Desert Blanc. One skier in the children's group had ripped an edge off - they looked like new skis. Ouch!
snow report
Yes I think Avoriaz is best option for a day . We may do flaine tomorrow and then call it a day before we go back on the 1st. Enjoy ur skiing !!!@rachelharrisonsmith,
Morillon sounded like hard work although they did have a nice lunch in the sun ( bank of mum and dad )
ski holidays
Can anyone tell me if you can ski from the top of Samoens (Tete des Saix) down perce neige to the top of the Sairon lift. More importantly, is D'eclair open, the restaurant at the top of Sairon lift?!

Heading out at the end of next week. I've come to terms with the fact that many runs will be closed, just mapping out my food options!!

Cheers
snow report
Don't think so but heading that way tomorrow . Will let you know . Snow forecast 7/8th
ski holidays
@ROSCOPICO22, L'eclair is open but only currently accessible from the Morillon sector (Sairon lift). All links are closed. By 7 January, the link may well be open. There is snow forecast that weekend (but it could easily disappear from the forecast....) but they are also making a lot of snow and opening runs. It looks as though the run to Morillon village will be open soon.
snow report
Charade express was open yesterday - was OK in the morning ice n slush in the afternoon but ski able .Enough to keep my 7yr old happy
snow conditions
Cheers @rachelharrisonsmith, @grmmff.

Is the lift pass the usual price?
snow report
@ROSCOPICO22, not currently. Today, Flaine was selling a normal priced day ticket and Samoens, Sixt and Morillon, a reduced one. I presume that it's the same for Les Carroz. I imagine that these prices will remain in place until the links open, but I haven't seen anything official to confirm that. I think that it's €16 at Samoens and Morillon per day. As far as I know, they are only selling day passes (no weekly passes).
snow report
@ROSCOPICO22, here

http://hiver.lescarroz.com/images/domaine-skiable/GMD-Communique-21-12.pdf

and here

http://www.flaine.com/UserFiles/File/FLAINE%20Grille%20tarifs%20publics%2017-12-2016.pdf
latest report
Lift pass at samoens 16 euros a day
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy