Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2016/2017 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@breeze11, well it wasn't expected to ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a great ski this morning. Got to love change over Saturdays. Still in fairly good nick up high but deteriorates as you get lower. Lovely day today though.

Anyone skiing Marvel should watch out about 2/3 down before the snow making kicks in. There is a patch which is in awful condition. Not sure they will be able to keep that open like that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chaletcouple,

Had a great day in morillon and then flaine in the afternoon. Spent an hour around the button lifts (Bois I think) and the piste Lutin. Had them to ourselves . Not s soul around . Half term ?? Can't expect it to be that quiet tomorrow but the pistes are pretty good !!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was looking at booking a weekend in Flaine in mid-March, but I notice from the GM website that there are a lot of closed pistes today (especially the high reds/blacks on the Tete des Lindars side). Is this simply due to lack of snow or some other reason (e.g. wind)? For comparison, I've looked at some other lower altitude resorts nearby (e.g. Les Gets) and they have much more open. I am wondering if this is due to better aspect or snowmaking or if those resorts are just happy to let people ski on very out-of-condition slopes?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nb14, it's bizarre isn't it? Those reds and blacks that you speak of have been closed the entire season.

Can't believe it's due to a lack of snow. I was there at Christmas (when it hadn't snowed for 6 weeks) and even then there was decent snow depth at the top sections in Flaine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it's to do with the lack of snow bridges over various rock crevasses.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Things were lovely in Flaine yesterday...

http://youtube.com/v/3zCjXUVL67g
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First day yesterday and all around Morillon up to tete de saix was great. Bit icy once the sun went down late afternoon (and busy!) but mostly good. Snow cannons and pistuers doing very good job. Half way down Marvel for about 1km was terrible though. Pure ice for much of it, bare in many places with plenty of small stones being flown about. Bar that though, great! Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Home now Puzzled

Saturday was actually quite good after Friday's sprinkle of snow, there was maybe a while 1cm in places and the temp stayed down so the slush want too bad. The weekend skiers stayed away so the crowds were much reduced.

But things don't look great for the immediate future: no decent snowfalls and more milder temperatures. I think we were quite lucky with the conditions we got.

Right, time to plan next year's trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last full day in Flaine today.

Good news - Woke up to snow (still snowing) to resort level.

Bad news - the snow is very thin in places, many lifts were closed yesterday and they've struggled to keep lower areas open. The links to other areas were closed yesterday even before the strong winds closed other lifts.

Fingers crossed for everyone coming next week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heading out next Saturday, forecast I am looking at is for "some" snow through the week, is that what is expected in resort?

Also how are the links to the GM fairing, and is there any likelihood of the area around Fred opening?

TIA

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 26-02-17 10:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Reasonable confidence for ~50cms at 1,800m ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Links open, Fred open. Hoping for 40cm snow over Grand Massif on Tuesday, come on!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skier52, any updates? I'm arriving in Les C on Saturday evening with 19 people so keen to hear how conditions are. My first time in GM so very excited Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mountaindoc, arriving Flaine same time, have fun in the GM it should be amazing!
snow report
@Mountaindoc, @EarthWindandWater, we'll be following you closely on Sunday or Monday, looks like it will be good timing!
ski holidays
Hi all,

Heading to Flaine on 11th and getting quite excited at prospect of what has / is / is forecast to fall! I've been skiing for years but first time bringing my parents to the mountains so the "snowy look" will serve them... whilst the powder will serve me well!

I've skied Flaine a good few years back doing UCPA and we had a lot of guiding which proved invaluable given the terrain. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a guide or any groups that do similar to keep my brother and I amused (safe) whilst the folks are in ski school?

Many thanks!
snow report
Great morning in Les Carroz and Morillon this morning, about 40cm powder in places. Currently still snowing above 1200m and set to continue all night. Temps due to go up Friday, hopefully will not harm pistes too much.
snow conditions
@skier52, sounds good. snowHead snowHead snowHead Hope they open Lou D'arbes in Les Carroz soon as it barely seems to have shown up on the interactive piste map all season.
latest report
Also arriving saterday . Idea if the gers bowl will be open in coming days ?
snow report
Not sure the best site for snow forecasts but skiclub gb is forecasting 250cm of snow in next 9 days for flaine and 165cm for samoens!! If so woo hoo!!
snow report
@bompey, you can't (at all) forecast 9 days ahead. Anyway what would you do with 250cms in a short period? Would be a disaster.

You'd be stuck in a tented refugee camp in Cluses as the roads would be blocked by French cars without snowchains and the resorts would be closed due avalanche risk.

And no-one skis any deeper than about 30cms anyway these days.

If you even ski off piste.
latest report
Nervous about those forecast winds though. How susceptible are the links from Les C to Flaine? I guess I know the answer already... do they provide any transport if you get stuck over there (my 4 year old will be in Les C with the nanny)
snow conditions
I dont head out to Samoens for another 4 weeks so hopefully it means a respectable end of season ski.
snow report
Mountaindoc wrote:
Nervous about those forecast winds though. How susceptible are the links from Les C to Flaine? I guess I know the answer already... do they provide any transport if you get stuck over there (my 4 year old will be in Les C with the nanny)

If its windy you are best off spending the day skiing Les Carroz and Morillon slopes. Les Carroz is usually the last place in the GM to shut lifts on windy days. Last year we were in les carroz and drove up to Flaine for the afternoon on a windy day as the top links were shut. By mid afternoon all the lifts had shut in Flaine even Aup du Veron so we wished we'd stayed in Les Carroz.

From my experience if there is wind forecast they will shut the links early in the day to prevent people getting stuck in the wrong place. I would not rely on any transport being provided. I haven't looked at the forecast for next week but hopefully you would not have high winds every day.
ski holidays
@Mountaindoc, what forecast high winds? I don't think GM any more susceptible than anywhere else?
snow conditions
The winds hit on Tuesday I think. Links closed and I am told trees down in Verchaix. Once the visibility cleared yesterday conditions in Morillon and LC were excellent. Bit chopped up on piste but with knee deep powder even at the side of and between pistes. Can't get to slopes today but it has been raining all night and this morning at valley level so hopefully translates to good stuff higher up.
latest report
@Mountaindoc, one of the good things about the GM is that if on any day they open the links and then have to close them, they take responsibility for getting you back. They lay on buses either to take you back to the appropriate resort if all lifts are closed, or to a lift that gets you to somewhere that you can ski back from. Always seems to run like a well-oiled machine when it happens, with signposts to the buses appearing magically the moment the lifts close.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
j2Ski forecast doesn't have much wind at the moment, still looking good =0)
latest report
@sj1608, seconded
snow conditions
@sj1608, what a great resort to have this service. Was looking at Meteoexploration for the forecast which shows a very windy Sunday:
http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/Les-Carroz/?lang=en
ski holidays
Just another quick question about the BuyClub ski passes. I know the terms stipulate not more than 2 days per person, but has anybody actually tried to load more than 2 days onto one card?

I have bought enough passes to see me through the week but just want to check if i need to get a new ski card every 2 days to load the next day up?

Has everybody else who has used these passes and bought more than you should done the same, or has anyone just kept going with the same ski card?

Cheers
snow report
We arrived in Les Carroz yesterday evening. It started snowing just above Araches and had barely started laying in Les Carroz, but has continued all night and now appears to be about 10cm at village level.
latest report
Thanks - please keep the updates coming - we arrive Flaine on Sunday
ski holidays
Windy from 1800m up today so link to Flaine closed, but lovely skiing in Samoens (foggy at times), Morillon & Les Carroz, 20 - 40 cm new snow and not very many people out, now that all schools have finished their holidays. Runs in Gron area of Les Carroz were best as they were sheltered from the wind by aspect and trees. Still snowing, albeit rain/snow limit hovering at Les Carroz resort altitude of 1140 - 1200m.
latest report
A huge storm came in today and the resort was closed from 2pmish resulting in us ending our lunch at L'aero in Samoens and being skidoo'd up to 1600 (the drag had been closed) so we could ski down to the GME because the pisteurs wanted everyone off the mountain as soon as possible. Unfortunately the GME couldn't operate in the high wind so we were told to take shelter in L'oscar restaurant to keep warm. Pisteurs came around every 30 mins to explain that the Rose Vache bus was transferring people down to the village but they needed people to stay in the restaurant because the queue for the bus was already huge. They gave out free drinks vouchers and we hunkered down thinking we would be there for hours...but then there was a lull in the wind so they got the GME open again and we were all told to get in it as soon as possible - women with children first (those that had been standing with small children outside). The situation had become very serious very quickly and the pisteurs did a great job keeping everyone safe. snowHead
snow report
Update 9.00am - just been turned away from the GME. Yesterday's storm took out the power and all 3 Massif resorts will be closed until 2pm today.
If you're reading this in bed - enjoy your lie in! *I am weeping over all that untouched power* snowHead
snow report
yes apparently trees down due to the weight of snow, just email from Zigzags ski school.......mental
latest report
Anybody got any update for morillon / samoens today. Any skiing to be done this afternoon or Not?

Can't find any updates anywhere.
snow conditions
GME open now. Chariande expected to open at 2pm. Chariande express will not open all day. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy