Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2016/2017 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Excellent news about the snow! Fingers crossed it keeps going for a while. With all the school holidays starting it sounds like more is needed. We arrive in Morillon 2 weeks today (18th).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does anyone know how school hols work I heard in France it's in zone s. Not sure when UK kids are off.

We are there from Sunday 5th for 7 days any holidays then?

Thanks guys
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This will give you all the info:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2864713&highlight=european+holidays#2864713

So the first wave of Zone C (Paris, etc.) is arriving today, and it's only zone C this week. The real mayhem starts next weekend when it's Zones B & C from France, plus lots of UK has half term as well. You'll get the benefit of the relatively quiet Saturday before you go home on Sunday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arrived in Morillon Les Esserts tonight. Disappointed with lack of snow in resort. Clear skies tonight, fingers tightly crossed for snow tomorrow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Resorts non chocolate boxy. Snow on mountain great. Nothing more you need to know!

Currently raining hard at 800m; very Lake District.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking forward to joining the mayhem next week😱
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got back to hotel in Morillon village after a relentless day of snow on the mountain. The forecast for morillon village was for non stop heavy rain all day and indeed this morning it was pelting down. Thoroughly disappointing waking up to rain and walking through it to the cable car.

Great weather above Morillon 1100 though with some serious snow falling. And to top off an amazing day of snow, we get back to Morillon village to find it's even heavily snowing way down here at around 750m. I mean there is some serious snow falling here right now. Cars have about 15cm of snow on them.

Had a double check of the forecast for Morillon village and the forecasts still seem to think it's pissing down with rain here. Just shows how reliable forecasts are.

If you're coming to Grand Massif any time soon you're in for a treat.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spent the weekend in Samoens, 6 of us took a guide for off piste and avalanche training. Despite the tough conditions (heavy snow, poor vis, strong wind) it was a great day, lots of wide steep off piste. Recommendation for Clem at zigzag skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les carroz . Epic snow fall. Treats all around . Visibility will be poor but what a break for these resorts.
Thanks so much to all here who kept us updated. 10pm and still snowing.

At least 10inches for morning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic news. We'll be there on Saturday for a week. The forecast looks cold all this coming week, so hopefully it won't be too icy by the time we get to enjoy it. No strong signals from the models as to what the following week holds, so fingers crossed for a dry Saturday and Sunday, big dump Sunday night, cold and sunny for a few days, then a small top up mid-week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Outstanding day in powder today.
Conditions were just perfect. Snow all day whole place truly a winter wonderland.
Fog can in hard in Afternoon. Good few ski schools out because of half terms which made it bit busy as most people stayed local to Les carroz because fog. Can't wait for tomo, looking to hit flaine wouldn't of thought there was good visibility today ...Not snowing now but still covered in Les carroz. Alittle is due tonight and couple inches tomo. We shall see.

Bring pack lunch unless your rich.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Evening all,

We're staying in Morillon and snow this side is quite nice. Off-piste is starting to go a bit icy though. Starting raining about 5pm but now turned to light snow. Over in flaine was snowing quite heavily this afternoon, so visibility wasn't the greatest but off-piste is better. The run down from Flaine to Carroz was good too. Overall had a great day and hoping for another good one tomorrow Blush
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone had any success with the Buyclub.ch ski passes ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes I have had success. It was a bit of a faff - as they say themselves the GM website is not that easy to navigate. Make sure you put the correct date in when you do it though... there's no way of changing it if you make a mistake. In fact, I have a lift pass charged with the full GM for Monday 27 February; if anybody would like to give me £25 for it I'd be delighted.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks, good to know that they work. I've already loaded one day on my pass from last year but can't seem to load the rest, do you have to load them day by day?
ski holidays
I loaded them up the night before, each time. As I said, make sure you select the right day on the first page... http://www.skipass-grand-massif.com/en/
snow conditions
Visibility poor, patchy than poor again today. Fine snow falling but far too warm temperatures. French say a white day tomorrow they say it is a day without sun snow or rain .
snow report
On the Buyclub front, I plan on loading 4 days worth onto one ski pass before I travel. Anyone foresee any problems with that?
ski holidays
Me and a few friends are driving down to Samoens overnight in a few weeks and will be arriving around 8am on a Saturday morning. Anyone got tips on where to get some breakfast and get changed for the slopes?

Cheers.
snow report
@chrismurray1986, if you want to keep it simple, rather than trailing around the village, park in the Grand Massif Express (free) car park, which is where you will want to park for the day anyway. If you stand with your back to the lift, diagonally away to the left (about 200 metres from memory) is Tiffanie bakery. They also have tables and act as a cafe, so would be good for breakfast. There are loos in the bottom of the Grand Massif Express building, but not sure how spacious they would be for changing. Or do what everyone else seems to do - change in or around their cars.
latest report
sj1608 wrote:
@chrismurray1986, if you want to keep it simple, rather than trailing around the village, park in the Grand Massif Express (free) car park, which is where you will want to park for the day anyway. If you stand with your back to the lift, diagonally away to the left (about 200 metres from memory) is Tiffanie bakery. They also have tables and act as a cafe, so would be good for breakfast. There are loos in the bottom of the Grand Massif Express building, but not sure how spacious they would be for changing. Or do what everyone else seems to do - change in or around their cars.

Thanks, that sounds perfect!
latest report
ROSCOPICO22 wrote:
On the Buyclub front, I plan on loading 4 days worth onto one ski pass before I travel. Anyone foresee any problems with that?

That it is limited to two days per person in the Ts & Cs?
snow report
@James the Last,
Yes, that's what concerns me. Maybe my question should have been, has anyone loaded more than 2 vouchers onto the same ski pass?

I know you loaded the evening before, but how many did you vouchers did you load onto the same pass in total?
snow report
@chrismurray1986, the loos next to the GME (and conveniently opposite Tiffanie's - great coffee and amazing fresh brioche) are a staple changing place - clean and plenty of space. Pizza van next opposite Sherpa is also very good after a day on the piste!
FS
snowHead
ski holidays
Just the two, @ROSCOPICO22.
ski holidays
Any reports on how its all looking out there this week? We arrive in Morillon 1100 on Saturday. Im a little bit worried about the warm temps and if there is rain forecast.
snow conditions
I'm finally online after a struggle with data roaming on my phone.

We arrived Saturday and conditions have been slowly deteriorating. Sat was great, enjoying the snow that fell last week. Temps have been steadily rising so it's been quite slushy on lower slopes by afternoon and hard on the mornings. Yesterday was particularly slushy,pools of water in places by the buildings.

But it's beautifully sunny and there's not a breath of wind. Can't complain really, we're on holiday after all.

It's going to be tough next week unless there's some more snow.
latest report
Going to GM this sunday for the first time (staying in Morillon Village) ...really concerned with the conditions forecast now.. Sad Would appreciate anyone updating this thread daily! (preferably hourly though Wink haha ) . Hoping the runs back down to Morillon continue to be open and accessible...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just been down the Cascades run to Sixt for the second time. Its still do-able but getting very brown near the bottom. Elsewhere it's now getting slushy by lunchtime. Conditions higher up are ok, if you keep your edges sharp!
ski holidays
How busy is it this week now that some schools are on half-term?
snow report
Whitters wrote:
How busy is it this week now that some schools are on half-term?

Heaving!
snow conditions
A littler colder today but still very sunny. Most pistes still hard by lunchtime. Light snow or showers forecast overnight and tomorrow but it won't make much difference.
snow report
Just arrived . Having a beer on balcony in shorts .. it's about 12 degrees but feels about 30 in the suntrap. Will let you know what the pistes are like tomorrow
snow report
I think it was a bit better today, not quite as warm. Last week's snow is running out in places though, this is on the narrow bit at the bottom of Almandine red.

snow report
@alr1970 yikes
snow report
@alr1970, it was looking very dodgy when we were there last month, the number of warning poles towards the bottom made it look like a slalom course! It always surprises me that it remains open in that condition.
ski holidays
If cascades is skiable then there's plenty of snow available we've been to Morillon lots of times when there's been no snow in Sixt and cascades has been closed for the week and still had a great week. On piste skiers. so I wouldn't worry anyone heading there. we heading to Courchevel this year for a change but we love Morillon and will definitely be back. Have fun stay safe
snow report
Cloudy and colder today. There are a few flakes and grains of snow in the air but nothing useful.

Of you can get the drag lifts at the extreme west end of the Flaine bowl, Lutin run has some lovely soft snow on it. Just goes to to show that the the worst of the icy and hard pistes are the result of ski traffic.
snow report
First ski day on Sunday and not looking good Sad webcams don't look great, particularly in sameons...was praying today dumped a whole lot more than forecast but wasn't to be 😭😭 anyone know what the bottom of doina is like? Cheers
snow conditions
That's a shame that today's snow didn't come to anything. We will arrive in Morillon tomorrow morning. It HAS to be better than last time we arrived there (new year 15/16) when everything was green apart from a thin strip of man made to get back down to 1100. We still had a fab time then so I'm sure this year will be great (as long as the rain holds off!!!).

Thanks for the updates over the weeks everyone. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy