Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2016/2017 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@luked, My son is a boarder and hates Cascades! There is not only flat bits, there are uphill bits, one of them quite steep.

@boarderpatrol, Good luck to you on that one. As a boarder I am surprised you are even considering Cascades.

@ringingmaster, The piste is on the piste map so I would guess that it is 'on piste'. However, there are numerous ways down to the bottom of the drag and none of it is pisted. There are piste markers, IIRC, so if your question is related to insurance cover you might need to stay within the markers.

Conditions today were wonderful. The off piste is well tracked but the snow is still soft and well worth trying. The new Tete des Saix chair appeared to be running properly. Bit warmer today (-3C at top of Grands Vans at about 3pm). Very few people around, especially after lunch.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
luked wrote:
@boarderpatrol, just the kind of person I've been looking to speak to! If it is open when I come is the cascades worth doing as a snowboarder? If so are there any bits where u have to really maintain speed for the flats?

Not done it as yet so will see what its like if it opens. It does look like there are lots of flats on it. Think we are heading to Samoens in the morning - up the Grand Vans.

@Chris Mason - yes will heed the advice - just looking at what opens as my wife skis and didn't enjoy Dolome in the shade. Convinced her to try again tommorrow after I have re tuned her ski edges Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
im interested in these buyclub.ch vouchers for my trip on the 26th.
has anyone had dealings with these before, i just want to make sure its a legit offer before i buy.
thanks.
ian
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boarderpatrol, I finally did cascades on Skis after going 7 consecutive years on the trot, felt there was far too much flat and uphill sections, and after the first 1-2km it's dull, I felt I lost half a day and won't ever do it again, there's far more fun to be had in the rest of the GM
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did Cascades last year as skiers and I thought it was great to do once as the scenery is fantastic but the final section is a mountain road and was icy/stony. Ok if you are confident skier but it was busy and the usual scenario of people not giving the less confident space and time. The bus queue was a bun fight as well but I'd still recommend doing once.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gers is a black piste.

They're certainly slow getting the domaine open. I guess it's the sort of stuff that they would have done the two weeks before Christmas, weather permitting.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Conditions good again today. Still finding a bit of powder of the sides. Temps seemed warmer and winds are very low if none existent.
Same piste status today. Didnt notice much new stuff. Possibly saving some if the snow doesnt arrive next week.
Not sure what happened to grand vans lift around 3pm today. It was closed - looked like mech or elec issues. Plenty of folks caught out for transfer out of Flaine. We did see a few buses later on going to pick up and ship them back we think ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can see Grand Vans from our balcony. They have got some scaffolding out and have taken a few chairs off, quite a bit of activity going on, so will hopefully be fixed by morning.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FWIW the Grand Massif app says that Cascades is scheduled to open tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The last section of Cascades is in good order, the snow cannons were working there this morning, also the top section looked ok, didnt visit the middle as I was persuaded down Gers which was fine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Mason wrote:

@ringingmaster, The piste is on the piste map so I would guess that it is 'on piste'. However, there are numerous ways down to the bottom of the drag and none of it is pisted. There are piste markers, IIRC, so if your question is related to insurance cover you might need to stay within the markers.

Thanks for the replay - not insurance related as I have suitable dog tag cover. More 'luggage space' related as I am packing light for just a weekend - bringing the avi gear or not.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian_86 wrote:
has anyone had dealings with these before, i just want to make sure its a legit offer before i buy.
thanks.
ian

I successfully loaded the days i bought onto a Card today on the official website so was working fine
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's good news, though as you only have 15 posts to your name you too could be part of an elaborate scam... that includes tripadvisor reviews referring to bargains bought through the site. Toofy Grin

Received an odd email telling me that if I were to buy any more then I wouldn't receive the vouchers until next Wednesday. Sits oddly with the max 2 per person rules...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ringingmaster wrote:
Chris Mason wrote:

Thanks for the replay - not insurance related as I have suitable dog tag cover. More 'luggage space' related as I am packing light for just a weekend - bringing the avi gear or not.

Bring your gear. The only avalanche I've ever "attended" (as a rescuer) was in the Gers bowl.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes i am definitely in on this and am harvesting Credit cards as we speak to pay for my next ski trip!

Yeh i got that email too and i assume they mean if people had bought one day pass before, then they could buy a second one but wouldn't receive it until next week
ski holidays
@galpinos, Thanks for that. Will pack avi gear
snow report
charltonfan1 wrote:
Ian_86 wrote:
thanks.
ian

I successfully loaded the days i bought onto a Card today on the official website so was working fine

So did you load all 4 days onto the one ski pass with no problem??

Last night I bought 10 passes across 5 accounts with 5 different credit cards!! Very Happy

I will be using 6 days worth and my wife 4 days worth when we come over in March. Hoping it is as easy as loading all the codes onto one ski pass all at once.
snow report
stewwrlfc wrote:
charltonfan1 wrote:
Ian_86 wrote:
thanks.
ian

Last night I bought 10 passes across 5 accounts with 5 different credit cards!! Very Happy

I will be using 6 days worth and my wife 4 days worth when we come over in March. Hoping it is as easy as loading all the codes onto one ski pass all at once.

Loaded 2 days of the 4 that i bought onto one card and then loaded the other 2 days to a second card in case of any issues
snow conditions
charltonfan1 wrote:
Yes i am definitely in on this and am harvesting Credit cards as we speak to pay for my next ski trip!

Yeh i got that email too and i assume they mean if people had bought one day pass before, then they could buy a second one but wouldn't receive it until next week

After being the one who popped this discount on this thread, I sat down to do it last night for this weekend only to find the delivery date had moved forward a few days, and therefore would not be useable for this weekend. Dang. Confused
latest report
Doh Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Best I can do is to offer you a virtual pint to say 'thank you'. snowHead
snow report
Conditions today still very good. Grands Vans chair closed until about 15.00 this afternoon but was running after that date, so hopefully the issue is fully resolved. The pistes are in fantastic condition, although there are a few patches lower down that have been scraped of snow and are quite icy. The off piste got heavier towards the end of the day where it was exposed to the sun, but, hey, who's complaining? It was good to see that they responded to the GV closure by putting on buses to get people in and out of the bowl, I guess the credibility of Flaine as a resort was at stake.
snow report
charltonfan1 wrote:
stewwrlfc wrote:
charltonfan1 wrote:
Ian_86 wrote:
thanks.
ian

Loaded 2 days of the 4 that i bought onto one card and then loaded the other 2 days to a second card in case of any issues

Did you manage to load both consecutive days at once, or do you have to load a day, ski it and the. Load the next.
Do you do it All through the grand massif ski pass site?

Thanks.
Ian
latest report
Cheers Chris
snow report
Arrived in Samoens last Sunday, we're here for 3 weeks and couldn't have timed it better! It's been a week of blue skies, very cold temperatures and until today very quiet pistes, with no lift queues. Today however was very busy, lots of fast but not very good skiers paying no attention whatsoever to other piste users! We had an early lunch then headed home.
Most pistes are holding up well with the exception of some lower slopes where there are blades of grass appearing and a few stones, and the piste back from Flaine to Samoens (the one that leads to the corblanche or vernant chair) was thin, chopped up, mogulled and not very enjoyable this afternoon.
Anyone any idea why theyre not blowing more snow whilst it's cold, coz there are areas that could do with a bit more cover.
On the whole a very enjoyable week, snow quality helped by the low temps but could do with more.
snow report
French weekenders piled in to Flaine last night - I might be wrong but it was the same last weekend. May be coincidence. Dolomie and the lower part are my wife's Nemesis. It was quite Icy on Thursday and she got a little spooked and we had to head back into Flaine. All in all we had a blast during the week with relatively quiet pistes blue skies and as said - good snow.
We were in La Plagne over xmas so this was a great boost to get the weekend dump before we arrived.
Ive been considering a property purchase here but based on the GM mgt of the area this week its dampened my appetite Sad
I will keep looking and hope the situation gets better for all Flaine goers.
We are back home now - roll on Feb as we go to Cervinia for our final 2017 ski trip. Very Happy
latest report
Very busy throughout the GM area today. Car parks were very busy so I guess it was lots of locals coming in. Gers bowl opened yesterday afternoon and by the time I got in there this morning it was well and truly tracked out. Mrs M went off the top of the drag down onto Cascades and found some untracked powder. Some of the pistes are getting very hard packed and icy in places and the number of people on the slopes today means that the piste bashers have got a lot to do tonight. Warmer today (3C at the bottom of the DMC this afternoon) which was also affecting the snow.

Need some more snow soon! Skullie
ski holidays
Heading out to Samoens for the weekend on Friday - best start the snow dance......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we heading to les carroz on Saturday, as far as i can see, no snow due until middle/end of next week.
im praying it arrives a little early
ski holidays
We have had brilliant couple of days on generally excellent snow . Couple of bare patches in the busy areas, but overall the conditions are fabulous. Last day today.
latest report
Found a amazing website yesterday called skiplan it shows all the French resorts in detail. Names all the runs and shows weather they are open closed or soon to be open very handy in planning out a day on the mountain!
latest report
Ian_86 wrote:
charltonfan1 wrote:
stewwrlfc wrote:
charltonfan1 wrote:
Ian_86 wrote:
thanks.
ian

Did you manage to load both consecutive days at once, or do you have to load a day, ski it and the. Load the next.
Do you do it All through the grand massif ski pass site?

Thanks.
Ian

Yes managed to load two days within 20 minutes on the site without skiing one
snow conditions
Far fewer people about today so pistes did not take such a beating. Marvel early this morning was lovely, almost deserted and in very good condition, even towards the bottom. Runs down to Carroz also in good condition, although Timalets is starting to show some worn patches. Spent the afternoon in Flaine, off-piste either side of the Aujon drag almost totally trashed but still quite good fun. Temperature just above freezing this afternoon so very pleasant. The Chamois run down to Molliets is becoming very busy, even when nowhere else is, I assume due to new Tete des Saix chair. Saw a few falls just before the tunnel under the road due to well worn, icy conditions. They seem to have made matters worse by putting up fencing so there is only a couple of quite narrow access points to get through the tunnel.
ski holidays
I agree @Chris Mason, it was definitely less busy today but still more people than I expected, I've been coming here 12 years and it's far more popular than it used to be and as a consequence the bottleneck areas are more problematic. I had exactly the same thought about the fencing before the tunnel by Les Molliets and the run that leads down to it will be mayhem at peak times as everyone is funnelled onto the same piste, it's not wide enough to cope with all the traffic heading towards the lifts at Les molliets.
Does anyone have any idea why there isn't more snow being made? There are areas where more cover is needed and with nothing forecast for the next week I'd have thought they'd have been taking advantage of the cold temperatures.
snow report
@skimum, if you look at the reservoirs quite a few of them are pretty low. I'd guess that they're trying to conserve the water in case there's not much more snow before vacances scolaire.

My big beef today is all the people that seem to think it's fine just to start skiing without checking what's going on behind them........
latest report
Another great day on fantastic snow. Had a great few days. Sat at airport waiting for flight home.
snow report
The sun continues to shine and the temperatures are staying low. This means that although the pistes are not suffering from the weather they are getting slowly worn away and there are an increasing number of brown patches showing through with stones kicked up by the piste bashers. The cloud inversion that has been with us for nearly a week now (cloud in the valley, sunny from Carroz upwards) continues but has risen to Carroz today, meaning it was colder in Carroz this morning than in Flaine. Drove down to Magland yesterday evening (food and drink running out and four more people arriving at the end of this week) and the hoar (sp?) frost on the trees below Arraches was beautiful.

Have had another fantastic day's skiing. Careful navigation round the few brown patches is worth the effort to save the bases and even the off piste is soft, although badly chopped up. There are patches of hard packed snow/ice lower down in all areas. Some snow is forecast for Sunday night so let's hope, things are going to be difficult if it doesn't arrive soon, despite the best efforts of the pisteurs.
snow conditions
I hope this is the right thread but thought I'd share a few pics from my recent trip out to the Grand Massif to show some of the fantastic overhead conditions and great snow from the 14th onwards. Completely agree with Chris Mason regarding the hard and scraped patches that are starting to appear. However compared to what I feared conditions might be at the start of the month then overall things were excellent. Hopefully some more snow crops up before the February madness...hope you like the pics.

ski holidays
@Garioch, You could chuck that bottom one into the photo competition.
ski holidays
Just returned from 5 days in Grand Massif area, staying at a lovely chalet in Sixt.

Pistes were really good considering they have only had a couple of significant snowfalls. Blue skies each day, warm in the sun, freezing in the shaded runs back to Samoens/Morillon late afternoon. Some of the lower runs showing rocks/grass and patches of ice - but nothing that caused any real problems and alternative runs were no problem at all.

Pistes over in Flaine were fantastic especially during the weekday mornings when it felt like we had most of the runs to ourselves.

We did Cascades on Sunday and vowed never to do it again!!! Very icy and rocky on the lower part.

All things considered I think we've been really lucky this week as it has stayed so cold, before leaving we were told that the foehn wind is returning today (Fri) so warmer conditions will probably be bad for the area without any new snowfall.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy