Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are Sweden - any and all advice appreciated.

Poster: A snowHead
vjmehra,

All Scandinavian resorts are family-friendly and each area usually has a large and spacious warn hut to allow the family to rest after exposure to the cold weather. Are is colder but the snow may not be necessary better. There are less crowd and facilities are fine by Western European standard.

Any skiing resort with a lake or reservoir, like Galtur, St Moriz, Tignes or Zell am See, will be stunning in winter time. Thus Are with its huge lake will be out of this world if you enjoy the winter natural scenery.

I have been to Are a couple of times but I could only find Copperhill Mountain Lodge in Bjornen. It is near the top of Are Bjornen and has only one lift. Its next nearest lift is the top of a drag lift now called Jarvenliften. Jarvenlift in the Are piste map I had in 2001 and 2004 was called Forbergsliften. It was a 1.1km long "drag" lift which known to my brother and my families as "mother of all blue". Believe me it was hard to be dragged 1.1km in Scandinavian weather and then take this long blue run down. Since its name has been altered I hope the drag lift may be replaced by a chairlift for you.

Are Bjornen is definitely a family area but it would be a pig if your lodge has not bus to it.

Are now has the 5 areas linked up in 2. Duved and Tegefjall can be regarded as one linked area on the left. Rokullen, Are and Bjornen can be skied as one resort. Copperhill is at the extreme right of the latter linked area but poorly connected and requires a bit of walking to the fully linked system. Most areas are pretty tame and the black runs concentrate mainly in Are itself which is linked to the Rokullen in the left and Bjornen in the right. I expect an average skier comfortable with blue runs would enjoy touring around each linked area.

Scandinavians are friendly people. Think there is night skiing as well. My only reservation is Copper Mountain Lodge is at a strategically poor location to enjoy the full resort unless it has a frequent bus service to the rest of the 5 areas.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They said the buses are frequent and the reviews are excellent...but I agree the location could be better.

We chose it because it seems so child friendly, with plenty of indoor stuff to do.

If the busses are frequent then during the day we are likely to spend our time in Bjornen (well I assume we will).

In reality it may be a case of me sneaking off for the odd half day, whilst my wife stays with the little one and then the reverse whilst she has some lessons.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Copper Mountain Lodge and its area wasn't developed when I skied there but I do know there is a lot of facilities in Bjornen for the kids.

The solo run of Copper Lodge seems to be green so it would be family friendly.

Between the bottom of the Copperhillliften and the nearest Jarvenliften blue run there is a linked piste but it is impossible to tell if which direction it goes. My guess is you can skied from the top of Jarvenliften into the bottom of Copperhillliften but no prepared piste on the other direction indicated in the Google map and the actual Are piste map.

However it is quite common to ski anywhere you wish in the Scandinavia and there are tracks you can actually ski from the Copper Lodge down to the bottom of Bjornen according the piste map which you can download. In Scandinavia you use the ski as a tool to save you from walking.

Last advice is place like Are may have icy patches or dumps with ice (from the piste bashers). Must avoid them or slow right down because you can lose control on these areas. Usually they are well sign-posted.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from Are and we skied around Copperhill Mountain Lodge. Copper Lodge is 2km walk from the centre of Bjornen. But there seems to be a bus that runs between the village and Copperhill Mountain Lodge.

Bjornen is pretty much designed for families and is the best place in Are for young children. The centre has lots of gentle pomas and magic carpets. Swedes are very family orientated.

You can also ski into the main area of Are from Bjornen if you get time to ski with out the children. Very easy to do if the weather is fine and you are ok on red runs. In the last few years some new chairs have been put in to make access much easier.

Sadly when we were there most lifts were shut due to the wind. But you can get around on the free ski busses. Free if you have purchased a lift pass.

Enjoy your trip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just in case anyone else was looking at this, here is the piste map:

https://www.skistar.com/en/Are/About-Are/Piste-map/

I'm slightly worried we're miles away from the family bit, but thats sort of offset by the fact that there is a bus and the hotel looks pretty cool!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, you can ski from the top of Jarvenliften to the bottom of Copperhillliften. It's easy to miss the turning/exit for Copperhillliften, though. Jarvenliften is a bit of a tedious lift, but it's not the worst drag lift in the world. The blues 118 and 120 down from the top of Jarvenliften are lovely - and specially designed for kids (lots of speaking models, little houses to ski in and out of....). The cafe at the bottom of Jarvenliften is OK and there is a warming room on the opposite side of the road near green run 116 where you can eat a packed lunch. The green run 111 down towards the Sadelexpressen lift is a longer green run, but can get a little busy with people getting from Bjornen to the other parts of the resort. The only run in the Bjornen area which I recall being a little steep is the bottom part of blue 112 near Bjornenliften.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@vjmehra, Getting to top of Järvenliften (B44) is fine. I can't say about going to/from Copperhill lodge as never been, but all the pictures I've seen it looks lovely.

Should have no concerns about taking the 2.75 year old on the lifts around Bjornen. Kids (under 8?) with a helmet go free. Button lifts B41 and 42 move really slowly. No probs for the child to go between your legs. Wouldn't be surprised if they can go by themselves after a couple of days.

Plenty of snow here with 15cm of new snow in the past couple of days here Very Happy Its been cold at -10 to -15 C, so a few balaclava/buffs etc are needed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anyone stay at the granen hotel? considering staying there. Need to be near town for my travelling buddy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Should be fine, it will a very gentle slope, just ski backward in a slow reverse snow plough, holding her hands and yell Pizza pizza pizza at her. That seems to be the drill for most kids first lessons Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Redwine wrote:
anyone stay at the granen hotel? considering staying there. Need to be near town for my travelling buddy.

No, but there must be better priced apartments in Åre village on the skistar website? BTW, airport transfers will also stop in the other ski areas, not just the village.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Should be fine, it will a very gentle slope, just ski backward in a slow reverse snow plough, holding her hands and yell Pizza pizza pizza at her. That seems to be the drill for most kids first lessons !

I've never attempted that...may have to give it a go Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
View from Björnen today was fantastic.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are worse views...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any updates from are?
snow report
t44tomo wrote:
Should be fine, it will a very gentle slope, just ski backward in a slow reverse snow plough, holding her hands and yell Pizza pizza pizza at her. That seems to be the drill for most kids first lessons Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !

So you use that technique as well.
snow report
Redwine wrote:
Any updates from are?

They update the snow blog once a week or so https://www.skistar.com/en/Are/About-Are/Snow-blogg/24-january/
snow report
Where can I find information about the length of the slopes?
snow report
@avandervoorn, no idea. Take a GPS or long tape measure with you.... Very Happy
ski holidays
Good advice Smile but I like to know it before I am there, actually
ski holidays
@avandervoorn, let us know if you find out...i'd be interested to know
ski holidays
@dobby well, that's exactly my question to the community. Obviously, I am not the only one
latest report
@avandervoorn, when are you off? I'm off to Are in just over a week. If I remember I'll take my GPS and do some measuring....give me something to do other than chase after the kids.
snow conditions
@dobby have fun next week! I will be in Are end of March. Appreciate if you can do some measuring of the slope lengths. Since I am a beginner I will head for Bjornen piste, the blue slopes. Good luck with the kids Wink
snow report
@avandervoorn, the blue slopes in bjornen are lovely. And there is a nice warm room/warmstuga? in bjornen too.
snow report
@dobby cool, looking forward to experience it. meanwhile I am getting fit with specific ski/snowboard exercises at home.
snow report
Trip fast approaching, 3 weeks away. Looking like some snow recently? Anyone there recently and will met us live vicariously through them?

Also, how is the off piste? It doesn't seem outrageously expensive to join a group to go over the back side. Ski star list a back side itinerary and a steeper version? Anyone with experience on both, with suggestions. I am pretty strong offsite, just not jumping off, nor do I care to need to get a lot of air to drop into anything these days
ski holidays
@Redwine, We'll be there week before you so will post a snow report or two
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Redwine wrote:
Trip fast approaching, 3 weeks away. Looking like some snow recently? Anyone there recently and will met us live vicariously through them?

Also, how is the off piste? It doesn't seem outrageously expensive to join a group to go over the back side. Ski star list a back side itinerary and a steeper version? Anyone with experience on both, with suggestions. I am pretty strong offsite, just not jumping off, nor do I care to need to get a lot of air to drop into anything these days

On page 1 of this thread I detailed some offpiste. I think the skistar experiences will be ok for a red run skier and above.
latest report
Does anyone have any good suggestions for activities to keep a (nearly) 3 year old occupied?

We have an indoor pool at the hotel, plus of course (hopefully) some baby ski lessons and I have ski reins and tip connectors at the ready so I can take her up the baby travellator Happy

It would be good to do a dog sled or see some reindeer, but I think those trips are generally around 3 hours which may be a bit to long for a little one (especially if there are no toilet breaks)!
ski holidays
Also to those who have been...are there any off licences near Bjornen, we couldn't find one earlier, just a super market Sad
snow conditions
Don't think there is. Rule 3b of scandi skiing is to take some booze with you or buy at the duty free in the airport. The nearest place to buy booze will probably be the supermarket near bjornen. If you want anything stronger than 3.5% you'll have to go to the systembolaget in åre. Shut on sundays and closes at 6pm most days i think. From bjornen this is on the first turning into åre from the main road, iirc. Google åre systembolaget and you'll get all the info you need.
snow conditions
Ah cool tks, will give that a go..we did bring some supplies but assumed we could top up more easily Happy
ski holidays
Not so easy to get booze in Sweden. Enjoy your skiing...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy