Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another cry for help, on what snowboard to choose

Poster: A snowHead
I have been reading all the “Which Snowboard shall I get” threads on here, some have given me some ideas, but most seem to have deeper pockets than mine. I’m ideally looking to spend about £400 on a board that is mainly for cruising the pistes with a possibility of some off piste thrown in. I don’t venture into the parks, as unfortunately I no longer bounce. I know these things are all a matter of opinion, but I’d be interested in everyone’s thoughts.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
K2 Turbo Dream, if you can find one in your budget - incredible all-rounder, and will do for going off-piste - If its a bit pricey for you still try the Raygun (I own one of these). Its i slightly more budget version of the same board, really nice for cruising, and again can hold its own in most situations.

There both pretty mellow rides, Very predictable, and smooth, so not very 'snappy'. But perfect for cruising and exploring.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What sort of weight and height are you @r1chard? Also, what sort of experience do you have (number of weeks on a board)? Also, (slightly odd question) what size boot are you?

My go to board which does most things well is a Burton Custom which you can pick up for your sort of budget.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @escooler, I'll have a look at those
@bigtuboflard, I'm 185cm tall and just over 80kg with size 9.5 feet, I have had 10 weeks boarding, hoping to get 4 in this season (I well and truely have the bug)
I currently have a 2014 Head Daymaker, so was looking for something a little more focused for speed on the pistes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd have a look at the Custom (in cambered version) as an option still then, probably in a 160
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For speed on pistes, you need camber (not rocker) and you need stiffness.

Custom X is the obvious choice. If you have small profile boots, you will get away with a non wide.

It's over your budget, but you should find one with last year's graphics for spot on to your budget.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you can go quick on a rocker, and with only 10 weeks, probably spread out over a number of years a custom x is going to be too aggressive imo
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ride an Ultra Dream for powder and piste so I'd go with escoolers suggestion on the Turbo Dream. I find the UD very easy to carve hard on piste but very forgiving, I think the TD should be even better if you are predominantly riding on piste.
ps, both have flat bases.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apologies for hijacking this thread but it would appear I'm in the exact same boat as the OP... except that I don't know what my current board is. Its a regular-camber, stiff, heavy old board that was a hand-me down. I've been riding it for around 8 weeks in the snow (with 2 weeks before that on rentals). Now i'm looking for something similar to what I ride, but ideally a lot lighter. I'm currently looking at the following options:

1. Ride Machete
2. Bataleon Goliath
3. High Society Temerity
4. Rome Crossrocket

To the above list, I've added the K2 Turbo dream. Any opinions on the above?

I'm also a little concerned about how the flat base will feel. I'm used to a heavy board with almost no forgiveness. It will throw me off the second I stop paying attention. But i really don't know what to expect with a flat base and 'rocker' tips...

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would ride them all and see which you like best. The best board is the one you can ride best on, because only by riding do you progress. It's almost impossible to "grow into" a board. Strap it on, and pretty much if it doesn't feel right within a turn or two then it's not the right board.

It's impossible to even suggest what people should try without seeing them actually ride. There's a huge difference between an 8-weeks-experience ripper versus someone who's spent 8 weeks trying to master an unsuitable board. The chances are most people will be somewhere between... we just don't know where. 8 weeks in one season, or spread over 8 years?

As you're asking, maybe your existing board is too advanced for you. You can thug around on the wrong board, but it's slow and frustrating. Did you take lessons? Did your instructor help you with the choice of your current board?

Without seeing the existing board (post a picture?), we can't deduce much. If you're not clear on what it is, and what's not great about it, possibly it's too advanced.

What do you mean by "forgiveness"?

The OP isn't a park rider so probably would benefit from a directional board and something to assist with edge hold at reasonable speed => camber.

The flat-based boards I rode in deep powder (Charlie Slasher, some others I forget) all felt like less responsive normal boards. I generally get more than 8 weeks each season though, so what I want from a board is the opposite of "forgiveness". If you're worried about getting "thrown off" then that suggests your riding isn't that advanced, in which case a rocker or flat board may help you learn quicker.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another highjack.. buy my Slash Brainstorm 160 ?
As new but need the funds.. Have a google of it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I know @philwig is rights when he says to try them. Whenever I have been to hire shops in the past they have had a limited supply of Snowboards to rent, but I’m on the PSB this year so I’ll have a trawl around Tignes and see what I can find, I like the look of the Bataleon Omni at the moment, has anyone tried one?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
not the Omni, but I've ridden other TBT boards. Loved them for some things, not so much for others. i'd group them with magnitraction.....don't buy one until you've tried it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's some interesting advice on here Laughing
I ride a lot of different boards each year at the board test and by the sounds of it you'll be wanting something with a rcr profile. The camber in the middle will give you the edge hold on piste and the rocker will give you a bit more float in powder and a bit of setback wouldn't hurt either. Boards I'd look at if I was you are:
Signal Sierra
Jones Mountain Twin
Jones Explorer
Rome mountain division (absolute snow have got a 159 going cheap)
DWD Kwon
Yes Standard
Any of those would do the job I'd go for the Signal myself it's a fantastic bit of kit, the mountain twin is also a great board and within budget. Personally I'd stay away from tbt boards like bataleon unless you can demo them as they're a bit Marmite.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Aren't TBTs a pain in the back bottom to get serviced?
ski holidays
Nah most shops are used to them now.
latest report
I've always just done it myself. some of the automated servicing machines might struggle a bit although i'm not sure.
latest report
Thanks again for all the advice, I didn't really understand TBT, but reading up more about it I can see what you mean, I haven't looked at the magnitraction boards for that very reason.
snow conditions
I can vouch for Ride Machete GT. I ride mainly piste but have started some basic flatland and freestyle. Its stiff enough to ride fast with good edge hold but also has enough pop to get air time. As with most things its personal pref as to what works for you.
snow conditions
Jones Mountain Twin or UltraTwin get my vote. I've ridden both over the last five years.

Yes Basic, Greats and Pick Your Line also worthy

Burton Custom would be a good option but its a bit like buying an Audi....everyone's got one

I've heard good things about the Ride Machette as well.

a definitely recommend some magna-traction or mellow magna-traction and a mixed camber/rocker profile
ski holidays
Brainstorm sold.
Good luck in Tignes btw. Think Tignes Spirit have Endeavour in stock and Snowdroppe have Burton kit.
Jesus.. i need to get trip sorted !!!
snow conditions
@philwig Thanks for your excellent response. In response to your comments, I think a regular camber, and the rocker tips will hopefully allow me to land ollies with a little less effort. I guess that's sort of what i meant by forgiveness. I definitely wouldn't class myself as advanced or even intermediate. Maybe beginner+ or intermediate- My current board demands that I absolutely nail the landing even off little bumps and things, or i'm going to get clattered. Doesn't do much for confidence.

I would've liked to trial but I have limited access to snowboards where I am and the shops i've checked with don't stock 'exotic' boards (i.e. anything other than Burton or Capita). I think based on the comments from the others, I'd be happier on regular camber with rocker tips. I was quite keen on the Machete but it's flat base and i'm worried it may be too different to what I'm used to. So I'm going with the Rome crossrocket. Has some decent reviews and Absolute snow are doing a deal on it. Hopefully I don't hate it!
snow report
If it's not too late, I'm on the Signal Sierra this season and absolutely loving it. Riding it a size shorter than I normally would, it's super light and has me flying off rollers with just a touch of an ollie. EB have them on demo in the domes if that's of use to you.
snow report
0xley wrote:
Burton Custom would be a good option but its a bit like buying an Audi....everyone's got one

Of all the reasons for deciding on a board, how many other people have one should not be on your list.

This would preclude every good board from your list.
ski holidays
My last board is 11years old so I went out and got a GNU Riders Choice. £367.

I haven't ridden it yet but can't wait, has great reviews.

Done a few seasons so have plenty of hrs riding in.

Bring on March
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy