Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Face ski Jacket question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I hope someone can give me some good advice. I have just bought a new jacket online. As soon as it was delivered I noticed that this ski jacket even though £250 is just a thin layer with no padding .

All my other ski jackets have been thick padded jackets. What do most of your wear underneath these thin jackets and have I perhaps ordered the wrong jacket as this is meant for end of season tshirt skiing?

Thanks

Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jimmy38, what is the name of the jacket? How is it described?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like a "shell"... Needs thermals underneath.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jimmy38,

I assume you have bought a shell jacket? It is designed for layering. Many people like that because it means you have quite a flexible system for different temperatures (and can use the shell for say summer hiking etc too).

For skiing I would tend to wear
thermal base layer (merino or synthetic long sleeve)
mid layer (e.g., light fleece or heavy merino top)
shell
That would be warm enough for me in nearly all conditions (and I'd lose the mid layer in the spring).
If it was really cold then I would add another mid layer or replace it with a heavier insulation layer (thicker fleece or perhaps a light weight down gilet or jacket).

It works very well but sometimes it is just easier to have a base layer and an insulated jacket - neither option is wrong for lift-served skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thermals/thin layers. The number of which depends on how cold or otherwise it is. Much more versatile than a big bulky jacket I'm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Should read imo not I'M. Apologies.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all your help.

I am glad to see that with this jacket i can be a little more flexible. I will look into some nice fleece tops and base layer (thermals)

Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jimmy38, and it if it goretex - you made a good choice! padded/insulated jackets are so yesterday Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jimmy38, you can usually, buy a whole range of inner jackets/layers etc that will zip into the shell to make it more of a normal jacket if you wanted.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy