Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro

Poster: A snowHead
Before this discussion degenerates into a relflection of the real world. I retired as a seasonaire this autumn having watched brexit make the U.K. (Now my home) seem like it was much further away-falling pound. How have seasonaires serving the U.K. Businesses in resort been fairing? I bet their wages this year, they are payed in the U.K. Generally, are'nt going too far?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@halfhand, transferwise comes pretty close, I use them and effectively managed to get better than mid-market today as the rates deteriorated.

@MountainIdiot, press reports suggest they're, at least temporarily, closed to new business now. http://uk.businessinsider.com/fintech-revolut-issuing-new-cards-delay-europe-international-waiting-list-paysafe-2016-11?r=US&IR=T
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Daleskier, if you have "retired as a seasonaire", I'm assuming you must have done quite a few seasons? How did you fare in the number of seasons between 2008 and today when the rate was less favourable for GBP than it is now?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been converting my pay from sterling to euros for about 7 years and its still going further now than a few years ago when it hit parity (obviously)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hand_Wringer, 9 seasons, to be honest I was that excited about the the skiing back then that the monetary side of it did'nt register. However my memory tells me that the number of £s I got paid only increased when we/I offered more skills and experience whilst the people at the entry level jobs seemed to have their wages constantly pressed down. It would almost be fair to say that the pay rise that many had over those years were gained thru exchange rate rather than anything else. Despite all of that it has turned out to be a reasonable wheeze to ride out the effects of the 2008 crash, and get to ski as well!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Daleskier, of course pay rise and pay drop for those being paid in pounds would largely be as a result of the fluctuations in exchange rate - no point us moaning about 1.19 today on GBP earnings when we had years at worse. We pay our seasonaires in euros and there have been years that it would have been better for them to have been paid in pounds and years when they 'benefited' from being paid in euros. Frankly, our seasonaires have no outgoings at all, so it's no small amount to be able to stick into savings each week irrespective of the exchange rate.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been doing seasons since 2005/6. Still at it. You just have to take the rough with the smooth. Wages from UK TO's are abysmal, and haven't changed much in all that time. In the US this season being paid but having to find some of the usual benefits provided out of the (reasonable) salary. No one really doe's it for the money anyway though everyone complains about it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hand Wringer wrote:
Frankly, our seasonaires have no outgoings at all, so it's no small amount to be able to stick into savings each week irrespective of the exchange rate.

You pay their bar tabs??? Where do I sign up?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker wrote:

You pay their bar tabs???

In our bar, yes we do.

That way they don't have to worry about whether their drinks are 10/20p cheaper or more expensive than in previous seasons, which is handy given that they come back and work with us for multiple seasons.

But let's not derail this thread any further - plenty of threads available to discuss ski saisonaire pay and conditions.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bet that is a tax minefield with BIK etc I know a company that works out the BIK on chocolates at meetings and pays the contribution. They used to give watches away to best performers but stopped when it started costing 10k to give a 6l watch to someone.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Norrin Radd, thanks for your concern but the mines are clearly flagged and accounted for.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mines?

It is fraught , I think it is ridiculous, I can't but good client anything for Christmas, possible bribe. tHey can't buy me anything in case of price fixing!!

Used to give all the junior staff, cleaner etc cash bonus for Christmas, but cannot anymore has to be taxed and NI

I am all for your common sense approach.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually on almost this subject the bar I go in sometime does a staff discount, there drinks are half price. Sensible, stops theft and punters happier to say one yourself, worked a treat. Latest member of staff has said they want the cash, like a tip, but wants to charge full price, and also thrown into the mix that because they drive to work are missing out on one of the perks!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to resurrect this but...

Supreme Court due to deliver verdict this Tuesday which, if you believe the reports, (I know I know) is likely to go against the government. So will we see a temporary surge in the pound like we did when the original verdict was announced.

I need 6 3V passes and a week's spending money before half term.......
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If it goes against the government, Mrs May will simply issue a bill the following day which will allow her to invoke Article 50 anyway. So if there is a surge - be quick!
snow report
Hand Wringer wrote:
@Norrin Radd, thanks for your concern but the mines are clearly flagged and accounted for.
If you're paying your staff under a French contract then the answer will be different, but if it's a UK tax issue (as most operators seem to think it is) you'd be paying tax on the marginal cost of the benefit. Marginal cost, when it comes to booze, is probably cost price as they're drinking in a bar which will be heated and staffed anyway.

http://businessdatabase.indicator.co.uk/business_advice_directory/articles/directors__tax/staff_discounts/UKTACDAR_EU081902/53/search

If the staff are earning under ~ 10k p.a. then there is no tax.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy