Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro

Poster: A snowHead
Couple of days ago I said to myself that if the Euro got to €1.15 to the pound I would rush out and stock up for my January trip. The pound though is still gaining against the Euro (currently €1.16). Dare I hold out for €1.20? What are others holding on for? Who's brave and who's foolish?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the pound will continue to recover. I really don't understand why it fell in the first place. The Euro zone has very significant problems and following Brexit will have one less contributor. €1.20 seems a reasonable target but not sure we will get there by January.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@esaw1, I am buying on Monday for November trip regardless as that's when I can get to Thomas Exchange
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I need about €4k to pay for windows, etc. Looking online short term outlook is good but not longer term.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One note of caution is that Article 50 will likely be triggered in March. Markets don't like uncertainty so the pound may be lower than its 'real' value in the run up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sterling's slipped back a bit this afternoon but who knows if it will plateau and rise again as it has the last couple of days - or drop back.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the recovery continuing and Sterling recovering significant lost value until 2019 when everyone knows what Brexit actually means. Only then we the markets be able to tell if holding reserves in Sterling at a specific rate is safer than holding them in dollars/Euros/gold/etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im leaving it till january... Might get to 1.20 by then, lift pass is 199 euros... But ask TO and its £200... They made sure they were covered!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just booked a trip with Inghams and as part of that I could pre-order my lift pass...for about £30 more than it would cost direct at the current exchange rate!

I politely declined...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
British Pound hits 6-Week Best vs Euro as Trump Era Heralds an Easier Brexit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
British Pound Sees Slight Rise From Lowest Level Since 2009 vs Euro as Trump Era Heralds a Easier Bexit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Before everyone gets excited, there are a coupe of points. First, yes, the £ has risen 0.82% against the Euro today, but put this is against a backdrop of an 18% drop since 4th January. It could happen, but we need another 22 repeats of today just to get back to that position. Second, it's worrying that the £ may have ceased to be a 'refuge' currency like the CHF - this is the first time that people didn't buy Sterling yesterday along with their gold and US$ when things got tricky. If this is a trend, then expect big fluctuations in exchange rates - making it even more difficult to predict how rates will vary in the future.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mainly the weakness of the dollar making the pound look better. BUT with elections in France Germany Holland and Italy next year the future for the Euro looks very uncertain...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I need to pay my Austrian house deposit in the early spring so I am watching the rate and getting ready to transfer my savings across. Will be opening an account over here in the next couple of weeks. Time to start looking at various transfer broker options.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Should I cash in the 80 I have left from my last trip?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is how it seems to be adding up IMO.

Brexit proved to the world at large that Britain had gone mad, we were on a self destruct mission and couldn't be trusted with metal cutlery let alone the family silver. (whatever your view of Brexit, that's predominantly how it was seen)
Hence the crash of Sterling: yes, you may well 'promise to pay the bearer' but the drool on your crumpled shirt somewhat devalues that promise.

Trumptory has now proven that it's not just Britain but a significant part of the Western world that has lost its marbles. It also suggests that it's not an isolated incident so who knows how contagious it is? Indeed Britain's always had a bit of a rep for ahem 'eccentricity' so maybe we're actually ahead of the curve here.

So, in effect, the 5c rise in Sterling is the result of us not being the only loony in the park anymore and what's more, as the other is the one that's been bothering ladies, we're not even the worst one! Cool
latest report
@Scarpa, if you don't already use transferwise and want to pm me for a referral code - benefit for both of us
snow report
admin wrote:
It also suggests that it's not an isolated incident so who knows how contagious it is?

So if everyone else follows, would everyone think they had themselves lost their marbles snowHead
snow report
@admin, brilliantly put Very Happy
snow report
+1 for transferwise it is utterly brilliant. Akin to X rated holiday lover I am happy to go halves via PM on referrals wink
ski holidays
+1 for transferwise it is utterly brilliant. Akin to X rated holiday lover I am happy to go halves via PM on referrals wink
snow conditions
RE Transferwise, I've been using them for years but cheers all Smile
ski holidays
Current Fair is a similar peer to peer exchange company similar to Transferwise. I've used them quite a lot including one very large transfer for my apartment purchase.
snow report
Interesting. We've been using HiFX but Transferwise are even better.

Thanks for the tip. Feel free to pm links/codes.

How much are the fees? HiFX works out about 0.75% based on mid market price.
snow report
Double post deleted.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 12-11-16 10:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@bar shaker, PM on the way.
ski holidays
@bar shaker, there's a transferwise link/code in your post Wink
snow conditions
admin wrote:
This is how it seems to be adding up IMO.

Brexit proved to the world at large that Britain had gone mad, we were on a self destruct mission and couldn't be trusted with metal cutlery let alone the family silver. (whatever your view of Brexit, that's predominantly how it was seen)
Hence the crash of Sterling: yes, you may well 'promise to pay the bearer' but the drool on your crumpled shirt somewhat devalues that promise.

Trumptory has now proven that it's not just Britain but a significant part of the Western world that has lost its marbles. It also suggests that it's not an isolated incident so who knows how contagious it is? Indeed Britain's always had a bit of a rep for ahem 'eccentricity' so maybe we're actually ahead of the curve here.

So, in effect, the 5c rise in Sterling is the result of us not being the only loony in the park anymore and what's more, as the other is the one that's been bothering ladies, we're not even the worst one! Cool

But the dollar went up as well! (Against euro and others)
ski holidays
We've just transferred today ant 1.16 - which is a lot better than a few weeks ago.

My person opinion (based on no sort of scientific fact) is that the markets think that Brexit is really sh*t but that Trump is even worse. . . .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
downhillalltheway wrote:
I really don't understand why it fell in the first place.
You can't inject £700 billion of QE without eventually affecting the value of the currency. People are blaming it on Brexit but that was just the trigger point the speculators needed and it would have happened at some point soon anyway. Sterling was over valued and the new normal is roughly where it is in my opinion.
latest report
LaForet,

For the non-economists in the ranks can you explain please what a "refuge currency" is?

Thanks in advance.
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
LaForet,

For the non-economists in the ranks can you explain please what a "refuge currency" is?

Thanks in advance.

Somewhere to put your money in times of uncertainty. snowHead
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
downhillalltheway wrote:
I really don't understand why it fell in the first place.
You can't inject £700 billion of QE without eventually affecting the value of the currency. People are blaming it on Brexit but that was just the trigger point the speculators needed and it would have happened at some point soon anyway. Sterling was over valued and the new normal is roughly where it is in my opinion.

That's about how I see it.
latest report
Chatting to a friend who works in the City on the weekend and Sterling dropping below 1:1 with the Euro before the end of next year's a serious risk!
snow report
@Mjit, what, end of 2017? That's a bit too far off to know. I mean look what's happened in just the last 6 months.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Chatting to a friend who works in the City on the weekend and Sterling dropping below 1:1 with the Euro before the end of next year's a serious risk!

I can see why he works there at the weekend.
snow report
@admin, kindly sent me an email which nicely summed up the BREMOANERs for me:

"It's a very real concern that some snowHeads may need to cut down from 4 to 3 trips this Winter! "

On the day in which some of us have spent time remembering and honouring the sacrifices made for our freedoms, particularly freedom from a Central European rule, I personally found this a particularly distasteful and inappropriate criticism of the democratic process currently in train.

Further, (and I trade widely in Europe), there is not the"widely held" opinion you state, no more do I believe that "loonies" voted to leave the EU.

It has to be said that, for those of us who watched the formation, spread and rule of the EU, this was not a democratic process, nor has it been fair, and has not brought prosperity/success/freedoms to ALL its members.

The only sure outcome of all this is that I remove my permissions for admin to SPAM my personal email with his political views. I did not realise this was a political platform.
Disappointing.
ski holidays
I have booked myself in for a humour bypass myself.
snow report
@Strax, have you not heard of irony? Humour?
ski holidays
Quote:

BREMOANERs

@Hells Bells,

IME people who use the term "bremoaner" (and note the capitals, never a good sign!) tend not to have a sense of humour on this subject even if they do on other issues.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@Strax, have you not heard of irony? Humour?
Just like ISIS don't get jokes about Mohammed, Leavermentalist Brextremists don't get jokes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy