Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scam site - Premier Chalet Holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Skiers beware! DO NOT BOOK with Premier Chalet Holidays (premierchaletholidays.co.uk) they are a scam site. I was minutes away from parting with close to £3000 when, as a last minute check, i did a google image search on some of the pics of the italian chalet we were going to book, turns out the images are from a swiss chalet who know nothing about this company! Fecking livid puts it mildly! Thank god i'm so untrusting but maybe it's time these companies digitally watermark their pics? Oh well, the search for the continues.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had to check myself, pics are from Chalet Auriane in Verbier. I would never part with cash to any holiday company with a Wordpress Template website - you can set a site up like that in a few days.

You were right to check the images, just because they have a website doesn't mean it is legitimate.

If you want to book direct, best via Booking.com or Trip Advisor.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thats pretty scary.
Have you had contact with the company?

They are registered to
180 Church Road
Hove
BN3 2DJ

Same company as Holidays in France LTD which this seems a part of.

Seems to be a lot of similar companies registered to same address , some of which seem legit.

As much as i loathe scammers this doesnt seem an obvious one and i would hate to think of a small company being targeted unfairly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Something not right, lots of pics same from other sites in different countries

Italy: http://premierchaletholidays.co.uk/realestate/property/chalet-agrigento/ Switzerland: http://www.chaletauriane.com/home.html

Austria: http://premierchaletholidays.co.uk/realestate/property/chalet-beau/ Morzine: https://www.firefly-collection.com/properties/chalet-bouquetin/luxury-ski-chalet/morzine/france

Even the text is copied from another website http://premierchaletholidays.co.uk/realestate/why-choose-us/ vs https://www.firefly-collection.com/pages/show/2/why-choose-firefly :

Quote:
The Firefly Collection is about quality, not quantity. We do not include every chalet or villa calling itself ‘luxury’ and only invite properties into the portfolio which live up to our strict standards – high quality accommodation, exceptional service and professional staff.

[/quote]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-11-16 22:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Aye.

I googled a few as well.

I would never have thought of doing that type of search, so thanks for the advice
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd try contacting them but it does look very suspicious, if their chalets are hand picked you'd think they would have known what they looked like.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm, Chalet Soria in Chamonix with views of the Matterhorn? I do not think so.

While equally I would not like to suggest somethink hinky is going on when it is not, but looks hinky to me...could it be a site in development that has gone live too early?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
interpaul wrote:
Had to check myself, pics are from Chalet Auriane in Verbier. I would never part with cash to any holiday company with a Wordpress Template website - you can set a site up like that in a few days. .....

Hmm. I know of at least two small Alpine businesses, that are fully legitimate and use (or have used) Wordpress. Wordpress sites make a lot of sense since they provide a website for which the content is easy to manage, day to day, by someone not skilled in web coding.

This year I prepared and handed over two Wordpress sites (admittedly using child themes rather than bog standard) to model flying associations I belong to. One was in very old fashioned HTML - the other was in asp.net. I was the webmaster of the latter - and as it needed skills in SQL, asp.net, CSS, HTML and a smidge of C#, if I had not converted the site over to Wordpress, I'd still be running it. I still provide technical advice to both sites when required - which is vary rare. I have strong hopes they are the last sites I will ever prepare!

In summary, Wordpress or other CMS systems can be very useful for amateur associations or small businesses. They are not in themselves an indication of a dodgy businesses.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another of the "Chamonix" chalets is in fact in Zermatt. It also makes me suspicious that none of the descriptions mention distance to the lifts, specifics of the resort it's meant to be in, nor details of services like shuttle minibuses to the lifts (some of the Chamonix chalet apparent locations are a bit of a trek to the lifts and for that money you'd expect free shuttles I think). More dodgy by the minute I am afraid.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hinky? That's a new one on me.

Out of interest, is it local dialect from somewhere? Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bergmeister, commonly used in US detective novels
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Google the 020 number and it doesn't return searches

street view the address and loads of shops with 01273 numbers

plenty of other things suspicious too

That said, their address is of an accountants and its not unusual for a small business to use their accountants address.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Highly suspicious - domain name was first registered 2 weeks ago, no social media and interesting pricing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I reported a similar website to Action Fraud a couple of years ago and it took them months to take it down. It had was the same MO as this one; 'fake' chalets and very keen pricing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is slightly concerning when the site that is supposed to be the focal point for reporting fraud says this:-

Action Fraud wrote:
Please remember it is not possible for each report to be investigated, however the information you have provided will aid the police to build up a national picture of fraud. This will make the UK a more hostile place for fraudsters to operate in.
snow report
Sad
snow conditions
Hopefully if someone does a google search now this thread might come up and they will see the fake.
snow report
Trading Standards might be more effective http://www.tradingstandardsecrime.org.uk/report-fraud/

I have to say, and it's been discussed several times here before, I wouldn't part with £3 grand without being pretty sure of the bona fides of the supplier. The only site we rent out on where we don't have personal contact with the client is AirBnB because they already have a form of vetting in place.

Otherwise everyone at least receives our company registration, property address and home contact details, which are easily verified on public sites if there's any doubt.
snow report
Im not so sure it is fake , the director is involved with a few companies and his home address is clearly listed.
Without a doubt i wouldnt be sending £3000 right now.
But someone of his age and director of a few companies , i cant see him trying to full on scam people.

Theoretically , what do people suggest is the scam here? He is advertising chalets and they turn out to be nothing like the ones shown in the pictures? Or no booking is made at all?
No matter what anyone who did get ripped off wouldnt be long finding him.
What would happen then , its clearly fraudulent , i presume with a trail of evidence then he would be easily convicted.

Something isnt right and under no circumstances should anyone part with hard cash but im curious as to what the scam is?
Are people so brass necked they pull a stunt like that in broad daylight with no concern for punishment?
Or is it vague enough they can weasel out of it by providing alternate chalets blah blah as hid in the T&C's?

Id be more inclined to shout full on scam if the company was registered abroad or company info was hard to find or directors hidden behind company names etc.
Either way whats said online stays online without a lot of fuss and ado Smile
Nobody is booking a chalet with them now!
latest report
Quote:

Chalet Soria in Chamonix with views of the Matterhorn? I do not think so.

Laughing What a nasty suspicious mind you have, @under a new name
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Chalet Soria in Chamonix with views of the Matterhorn? I do not think so.

Laughing What a nasty suspicious mind you have, @under a new name

Maybe the photo was taken on a super clear day....... Toofy Grin
snow report
@hawkwind, the directors details and address are publicly available, adding them to a site gives an impression of authenticity but on their own isn't enough. Pictures taken from other sites and various errors would suggest something is not right. Pricing is usually the biggest give away, the rates are low and January is more expensive than February!
The fraud would be to take a deposit and then disappear, I'd assume payment would be asked for by money transfer (zero chance of getting money back) or transfer in to a bank account (very little chance of getting the money back).
snow conditions
Quote:

What a nasty suspicious mind you have

For why? @pam w, For why?
ski holidays
Andrew, one of the named directors pops up a chat message quite quickly and I asked about the Chamonix/Zermatt thing...

ski holidays
hawkwind wrote:
Thats pretty scary.
Have you had contact with the company?

They are registered to
180 Church Road
Hove
BN3 2DJ

Same company as Holidays in France LTD which this seems a part of.

Seems to be a lot of similar companies registered to same address , some of which seem legit.

As much as i loathe scammers this doesnt seem an obvious one and i would hate to think of a small company being targeted unfairly.

That address is just around the corner from me, so I went to check it out. It's the address of an accountancy firm. Its not unusual for a co. registered address to be that of the accountants.
ski holidays
@under a new name, he disconnected the chat when I pointed out other errors.
latest report
@Gaza, They don't seem too interested in chatting, do they.
ski holidays
My own very quick reverse image search came up with a chalet advertised in meribel on there also being in St Anton.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why do you think that any of the published details are accurate in any way.
Just google for any company involved in holidays and list that as your 'own' info.
If you take any picture on that site and reverse image search, google reveals different names (not always uncommon) but in different locations.

It worries me that there is not enough done about sites like this quick enough as it has hardened the market to independent accommodation.
I think for us 'sole trader' types it is quite easy to see that we are genuine but there seems to be more risk now compared to when we started 11 years ago!
snow conditions
They also have the following Domains registered:
ski-luxury.com
chamonix.website
deluxeholidayrentals.co.uk
snow conditions
Quote:

If you want to book direct, best via Booking.com or Trip Advisor.

Well, you could, but that in itself is still no guarantee that the property isn't a scam. Booking.com's sign up process is a little more robust, but any one of us could add a property to Trip Advisor this morning, and start advertising. It would cost nothing. And you also (on Trip Advisor) at least pay a whacking extra fee in commission when you book. Do your research, and try and find direct contact details for the owners if possible. Phone them, email them, don't be rushed into handing over money. Pay by credit card is possible, although that isn't always possible for individual owners as it is comparitively expensive to set up a merchant account.
ski holidays
Seems not much has changed. Back in the day I was in a photo shoot for the annual Blue Sky skiing brochure (I think they were part of British Caledonian). The shoot was in Cervinia, basically active skiing shots and poncy poses in bars. When the brochure came out, we were featured in practically every resort they had, there was even a shot of me in 'Mayrhofen' with the Matterhorn in the background !!! Not only that they used the same pics the next year.
latest report
@Swissie, not quite the same thing I don't think. All of our apartment listings have photos of our apartments.
snow report
@under a new name, I'm not saying everyone does it, in fact I think it happens a lots less now, I was just speaking from an old experience.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Swissie, not quite the same thing I don't think. All of our apartment listings have photos of our apartments.

Quite. Using photos of another apartment would be misrepresentation. A bit different to posy pics in poncy bars.
latest report
There is a very expensive chalet in Les Gets, featured on Grand Designs many years ago now, and when it appeared in the FT they had used a view from the chalet, but the view they used was of Verbier. Just shows you can't believe all that is in the Press! Quite often in fact
snow report
Thats awful!
Maybe im naive but if that bloke took money off me fraudulently then id like to think i could claim it back with compensation.
Or if i couldnt be bothered with that lengthy process i wouldnt want to be the chap walking home one dark winters evening.

Why would anyone put themselves through that? crazy? how can they sleep at night with the guilt or fear of reprisal?
ski holidays
hawkwind wrote:
Thats awful!
Maybe im naive but if that bloke took money off me fraudulently then id like to think i could claim it back with compensation.
Or if i couldnt be bothered with that lengthy process i wouldnt want to be the chap walking home one dark winters evening.

Why would anyone put themselves through that? crazy? how can they sleep at night with the guilt or fear of reprisal?
If it is a scam, there's a simple answer to your question @hawkwind; greed.
snow conditions
hawkwind wrote:
Thats awful!

I'm guessing they will request money is sent my bank transfer so you will have very little chance of claiming compensation.
latest report
Foolish , i dont know exactly what i would do if i lost £3000 to a scam but i do know a lot of people that wouldnt have much faith in the legal system , is a few grand worth your health? your reputation? your families reputation? Jailtime?
I probably trust people too much , this just seems reckless for tiny amounts of traceable cash.

Ill lose sleep now worrying that people have lost money on a dream holiday to a scammer Sad
I just cant fathom that, having the neck to do it in broad daylight with no fear of repercussion.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy