Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
boabski wrote:
@kingwhite, try Innsbruck taxi.com

I rent. Cheaper than a taxi from Innsbruck to somewhere like Obergurgl or Ischgl; will depend how far you need to go from the airport
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WellingtonBoot wrote:
@red 27, Incidentally, Jochabfahrt does appear to be on the list of slopes projected to be open. Classics (I hear) like Adlerpiste and Frommesabfahrt will also be open, which is good.

That's good news - Jochabfahrt is the crucial link run (it's a road which may explain the lack of cannons) and the other two are certainly classics up on/from Fiss Northside.

I wonder if a) this year has been (or is forecast to be) a lot colder than last year and b) they've perhaps learned a few lessons from last year and got their snow-making act together?

You can't get from Fiss to Serfaus other than on skis or by road. It's much easier the other way, which sounds odd but makes sense on the mountain
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I wonder if a) this year has been (or is forecast to be) a lot colder than last year and b) they've perhaps learned a few lessons from last year and got their snow-making act together?

They did seem to start snowmaking quite early, before the initial dump, which will in itself have helped. I know they've added snow cannons as well, at least all over the Scheid area, and they made a big fuss about how much the new reservoir adds to snowmaking capacity. Together with recent cold temps, that probably should all add up to a bigger chunk openable from snowmaking alone. Imagine you might also be right that they've simply got their snowmaking act together. Last year might have been a wake-up call all over.

Quote:

You can't get from Fiss to Serfaus other than on skis or by road. It's much easier the other way, which sounds odd but makes sense on the mountain

Do the Waldbahn and Sunliner gondolas not connect, or at least, can one not easily walk from one to the other? It looks on the map like the top stations are right next to each other?

In other news, downgrades all around for the snow on the 12th... Nothing much to look at after that on today's models either... Back we go to blind hope...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to Bergfex

114km of 214km slopes open from tomoz

53/68 lifts

... just bought me new boots in glide and slide in Otley

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="WellingtonBoot"]
Quote:

Do the Waldbahn and Sunliner gondolas not connect, or at least, can one not easily walk from one to the other?

They do / you can, but the Waldbahn doesn't start in Fiss - it starts about a mile along the road to Serfaus in the middle of nowhere... I think the intention is to steer all the day trippers there (there's a big car park) so they don't clutter up the villages...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@red 27, Ah ok. Still, if you ski down to the Waldbahn, I guess that opens up another option for getting over to Serfaus.

On a different note, I've been reading through the German SFL thread on Alpinforum, and they are generally pretty impressed with the opening day offering this year. Someone says it's more than was open on 31st Dec last year, and specifically they say there's a lot more open in Fiss (good for us!). The point is made again that the new reservoir and new snowmaking has made a big difference.

Seems like quite an angry place though (Alpinforum, that is) - lots of people arguing and moaning. One guy complaining about the crowds saying basically "it's bad enough at half term, but I dread to think what it's like on 28th Dec"... Others picking bones in this and that. I'm going to assume the crowds are the same as anywhere at Christmas, hope for snow, and not stress too much.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Incidentally, has anyone got any good recommendations for where to book ski/boot hire for those who need it? Still haven't arranged it. Any discounts to be had?

Or does it not matter where? This is for Fiss, rather than Serfaus, btw.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WellingtonBoot, https://www.alpinresorts.com/en/ski-rental discount code - SNOWBALL
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WellingtonBoot, You can't ski from Fiss village to the Waldbahn valley station... It seems odd, looking at the piste map, but you can't. The only way to the bottom of the Waldbahn is down the superb Waldabfahrt run (which comes from the Serfaus side of course), or downriding the gondola itself

There's a Sport 2000 shop at the gondola station - their prices are OK I think - and there's normally a 15% discount code knocking around if you register with them
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@AthersT, @red 27, Thanks for those suggestions.

And another request. Does anyone know any good private ski instructors (within or independent from ski schools)? We have a couple of groups members wanting private tuition and others who might want normal lessons.

Quote:

You can't ski from Fiss village to the Waldbahn valley station... It seems odd, looking at the piste map, but you can't.

That really does seem odd. The map makes it look like there's a little sprig of blue off Rastabfahrt to the bottom of Puinzbahn, and then a blue down from the top of Puinzbahn to the top of Waldabfahrt. If it's really not possible, they should really think about making it possible. Looks like it would be easy, and difficult to see why they wouldn't. Might have to review this opinion once I see the situation on the ground of course.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SPORT KRISMER we found to be the best hire shop Family run limited English , good fitting and reasonable prices, they will deal for groups and cash. .
Instructors in the local ski school tend to be very good.
Fiss is a very well organized Village/ ski area, the infrastructure is second to none. You can not ski directly from the village of Fiss to Walderbann but you can go up the mosseralmbann and bearing right on the way down you will cross 30 meters cross country ( well tracked) which will bring you the rastabfart and then to the Waldabfaft otherwise the ski map read correctly. Best way into Serfaus ski area and Masner is is up the Mosseralbann and then up the Sattelbahn, Its well signposted. Do not go to the walderbann in the morning as it is the out of village parking area for day trippers so can get busy.
Its a great ski area you will enjoy : Blush
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

they will deal for groups and cash. .

Do you mean by this that they might do a better deal than advertised if I ask?

Quote:

Its a great ski area you will enjoy

Thanks! I'm sure we will, although some more snow would help...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey. What info might any of you guys have about accommodation in Fiss for 5 chaps of a certain age who really don't want to share. Coming out Sun 29th Jan for 5 nights. Have requested price and availability from loads of hotels but, as usual, they don't have (or don't want to offer a short week) 5 singles or doubles for single occupancy. We have skied all over Austria for the last 20 years and really want to try SFL. What chance of picking up something up last minute if we are prepared to balls it out? Want somewhere central with decent facilities.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wib, I'm not an expert, not yet having been to SFL, but from my research when I was booking, I'd have thought an apartment might be a good fit if you're struggling to find a hotel.

We found a couple of pretty fancy apartments in good locations near the lifts with some good facilities - apartment itself newly appointed, spa etc attached. Obviously you have to eat out, but I'd guess there are decent places to go. Is half board important to you?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Wib: Most people book for Fiss when they are leaving the previous year . The village has Functions and presentations for people who have come back each year for the last 20 years. But last minute is worth a try. Also 5 british chaps even of a certain age does not fit the customer profile of the Village if however you were Irish you might have a better chance Toofy Grin Toofy Grin rolling eyes
latest report
So ... looks like no new schnee before we land on Tuesday ...

Anyone want to recommend a good blue circuit out of Serfaus for an intermediate that loses their confidence if the pisten are not perfecten Very Happy
latest report
@kingwhite, I have been keeping an eye on the webcams and they have had the cannons on pretty much every night, switching them off at around 8.00 am in the morning.

I am sure that you will have a blast - there's plenty of on piste skiing to be had.
snow report
I've been following the German forum on SFL, where it is much better known and more frequently discussed. The consensus, from all bar a couple of apparently notorious naysayers, is that they've done a really good job and opened up a lot of good skiing. Key points:

- Over 100km open
- Piste conditions generally good, fewer stones than Ischgl and others
- Most key long runs and linking runs open
- Reservoir water a bit low, but recently they've been forced to hold back, plus apparently certain reservoirs at least can be refilled from the valley (so hopefully not an issue?)
- Much more skiing open than at this time last year
- Further pistes possibly set to open by Christmas, on the basis that some are partially prepared and have piles of snow waiting to be pisted, plus supposed ITK suggestions that the resort is working on a selection of pistes

And now some photos courtesy of members on Alpinforum.

Masner (from one or two days ago):

North Side (mostly recent):

Front Side & Villages (from up to 6 days ago)

snow conditions
Thanks for that .... be nice even to get a dusting for that cosmetic touch up
ski holidays
kingwhite wrote:
Thanks for that .... be nice even to get a dusting for that cosmetic touch up

Indeed. Cosmetically it would be nice but there's plenty there to keep any piste skier happy for a week. Very Happy
latest report
... and it stays cold ...

I had a great week in 2006 in zell on artificial only stuff ... cos it was so cold.

Last year in saalbach when it was about 15 degrees and the slopes were mush by 10am, water skiing thru green fields ... not so much!!!
ski holidays
@WellingtonBoot, Good pics from our dear friends on the German forum.

North Side always looks a bleak as it gets the wind as well as the snow.

As you say, conditions look good considering the lack of snowfall
snow report
@WellingtonBoot, Good pics from our dear friends on the German forum.

North Side always looks a bleak as it gets the wind as well as the snow.

As you say, conditions look good considering the lack of snowfall
snow report
This time last year they had 90km open and at the moment there is 121km open, I'm out on Boxing day and will update when I'm there snowHead
snow report
@Guernseyfreerider, Yep, and supposedly there are more (open pistes) coming in the next few days, which could bring it amazingly close to 100% open, all things considered.

Watch the radar/webcams for any sign of snow overnight... Would be great just to have a layer to turn the place white.
ski holidays
Woops. Made the mistake of checking the live piste map. Bit dispiriting to see how much is closed. Most of Masner, Lazid, Pezid, Plansegg, Scheid, the ridge between Fiss and Serfaus... Northside mostly open, which is good.

And another little Foehn coming up. It's an uphill battle right now...
snow report
fly out tomorrow

Will post some on the ground info on tues/ weds Very Happy
latest report
kingwhite wrote:
fly out tomorrow

Will post some on the ground info on tues/ weds Very Happy

Please do - we're out next Monday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kingwhite, That would be great, thanks. I'll hope to do the same from this Saturday.
ski holidays
Here at the moment, conditions absolutely fine, plenty of pistes open and all in good nick. Nice and cool, sunny. Piste preparation first class, any one coming out for Christmas and new year need not worry, plenty to ski just don't expect any off piste
snow report
Thanks for the update @summerseat,
ski holidays
snowHead
latest report
Just arrived - resort runs look in good condition and still a little snow on roof tops

I'll tweet some pics on @kingwhitelufc and put link up
snow report
And it's nice and cold
snow report
@kingwhite, Good news. Looking forward to further photos and more detail/comparisons on conditions across the area.
snow report
Following you in Twitter @kingwhite, keep the photo's coming as the excitement for my first trip of the season rises!
snow report
@JoyZipper,

Put another on from base of runs ... nice and wide cover ... looked fun!
ski holidays
Superb pistes this morning up above family area in serfaus on plansegg

It's also empty ... practically private ski resort ...

White enough on the eye above 1800m too

snowHead
ski holidays
👍
latest report
@kingwhite, As much as I'm still prepared for it to fill up (with people) by Christmas - all the Germans are complaining about this - that is excellent to hear. Great photos - keep uploading!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy