Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
scarbski wrote:
Baqueira web cams are showing white at last, anyone know how much snow actually fell ?
According to the resort itself, about 35-40cm has fallen, which seems about right judging from the photos of the valley. The Pyrenees are white at last!

There are more northerlies coming shortly... this time, Cerler and Boí will suffer (high winds and little or no snow) and Baqueira and the French Pyrenees will benefit.

The new problem at Baqueira will be finding days with good visibility!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Has there been talk of shutting down Arcalis??? When we went to Vallnord last year I thought it was by far the best of the three resorts, ended up going 3 times!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pyremaniac wrote:
scarbski wrote:
Baqueira web cams are showing white at last, anyone know how much snow actually fell ?
According to the resort itself, about 35-40cm has fallen, which seems about right judging from the photos of the valley. The Pyrenees are white at last!

There are more northerlies coming shortly... this time, Cerler and Boí will suffer (high winds and little or no snow) and Baqueira and the French Pyrenees will benefit.

The new problem at Baqueira will be finding days with good visibility!

Drove up to the Port du Bonaigua (2000m) yesterday for lunch during the storm, skiing would not have been nice at all with strong winds and virtually no visibility. Agree with the 40cm as virtually all resorts are reporting between 35 and 40cm of new snow this morning.

Beginning this weekend we look to be set for very cold weather indeed..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for snow/weather reports guys Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone been to Les Angles in the last few days? Heading up this weekend
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does anyone know what its like in GrandVal? Seen they had fair bit of snow with more scheduled but I am trying to decide whether to head back to Soldeu this year or head over to Italy instead.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grandvalira is doing great; it's in full swing now.

I don't know about the other eastern Pyrenean resorts yet. A lot will depend on how Friday's snowfall works out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Soldeu webcam went from brown to white yesterday morning.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They tweeted that they hope to have 200Km+ of pistes open by the weekend. Currently according to the website it's mainly Black's and Reds that are closed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good stuff roll on 3 weeks Saturday when il arrive
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Conditions were already fine there, in fact. Brown at resort level of course; the natural snowline across the Pyrenees was above 2000m, so lower pistes were relying on artificial snow. But the large majority of Grandvalira's pistes are above that level anyway.

But now of course, the view from resort is prettier wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 12-01-17 17:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes the snow down in the valley certainly makes it look nicer and fresh snow doesent hurt anywhere does it
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can anyone advise whether it is still worth heading to Cerler next weekend? Have flights and car hire from Barcelona but now wondering if the snow might be just as good somewhere closer to BCN, such as Andorra or Molina/Masella?

Any advice?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do you mean this coming weekend? If so, I have the same dilemma! I've just opted for Cerler (reserved a hotel for tomorrow night) because it looks like there'll be nicer weather to ski in, but I didn't book a package that includes 2 days' worth of ski pass (because the very strong winds might end up keeping the Gallinero lift closed). I'll see how it goes. Baqueira will have great snow but poor visibility. Andorra, good snow with acceptable vis. Other Barcelona resorts, less exciting snow (though perfectly skiable) but better vis. High winds will be an issue everywhere.

Honestly, I didn't know which way to jump! Benasque at the weekend has a good vibe though, so I chose that. (I never stay in Cerler village itself.)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I actually mean next weekend. would be interested to hear how you find it.
Was originally looking at Molina/Andorra but the lack of snow a few weeks ago got me looking at cerler. now that the snow has started falling everywhere I am not sure if it is still worth adding an extra hour drive.

Was actually looking at booking in cerler itself to be close to the lifts- where would you recommend in benasque?
snow conditions
Just booked a week in Grandvalira (Soldeu) for the second year in a row thanks to the recent snow. Enjoying the forecast, although looks chilly!
latest report
for anyone travelling today the route from France into Andorra is currently closed until tomorrow (near pas de la casa)
snow conditions
Amazing how the mid Jan dump in the Eastern Pyrenees seems to arrive like clockwork each year! Looking forward to skiing out there beginning of Feb!
snow report
Extreme conditions in the central Pyrenees today with strong winds at altitude forcing the closures of many lifts and I gather elsewhere even some resorts. Very heavy snow has been falling all day, and though the freezing level is going to rise, the heavy snow is going to continue throughout the night and for all of tomorrow.

The last few days has seen about 60-70 cm of fresh, though the wind has scraped snow from exposed slopes and ridges.

Once the snow has passed through (Tuesday morning) we will be left with extreme cold air with overnight temperatures possibly as low as minus 22 - 24 degrees.

There will be some great skiing both on and off piste once the storm has passed Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Off a week today and looking at the forecast (although hardly to be considered reliable a week away) there seems to be a large dump due next weekend:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/El-Tarter-Soldeu/6day/mid
ski holidays
I'm off a week today to Soldeu as well @seekstris, booked it yesterday. Fingers crossed for not too much wind Smile
snow conditions
Yeah @pieman666 apparently today was the first time in a very long time they closed the whole resort. Unfortunately because its so far in advance weather forecasts are unreliable. It is calming down this week and from the main weather thread looks like some more snow could be due next weekend and the cold temperatures are due to stay. Not sure what that means with regards to wind but lets keep our fingers crossed.
snow conditions
Was in Les Angles on Saturday, the morning was good with lots of fresh snow and the wind wasn't too bad, the afternoon got a bit mad though as the wind go worse and tore all the fresh snow off the piste, and it was bitter cold. The off piste will be amazing once this storm has passed..
ski holidays
A friend of mine lost a day to high winds a couple of years ago. I have seen a nine day forecast that shows the 23rd having 15mph winds and Another 20cm of snow but as you say it can all change.

Btw I will be the guy in bright yellow trousers Orange jacket and yellow helmet... So my kids can spot me a mile away, although I am trying my first solo holiday this time.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 15-01-17 20:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
lets hope we have the conditions so that we can see you haha. I won't be wearing anything distinguishable unfortunately all dark blue, and light blue Very Happy
snow report
jenecho wrote:
I actually mean next weekend. would be interested to hear how you find it.
Was originally looking at Molina/Andorra but the lack of snow a few weeks ago got me looking at cerler. now that the snow has started falling everywhere I am not sure if it is still worth adding an extra hour drive.

Was actually looking at booking in cerler itself to be close to the lifts- where would you recommend in benasque?

I'll let you know after we see what the Sunday and Monday storms bring to Cerler. Weds will be the day to make the decision, I think.

Benasque is by far the better place to stay; Cerler village is just a dormitory whose only advantage is that you don't necessarily need to take the car to the lifts. And even then, if you're lazy like am, you'd end up taking the car anyway... wink
snow report
To echo ski_guide, Boí was closed completely today and I imagine Cerler was too. Yesterday, visibility was better than expected up at Cerler but the wind meant that they couldn't open much.. we gave it a miss and went for a nice hike (despite the weather) to the hotel Hospital de Benasque (in the Llanos del Hospital, the usual starting place for a trip up Aneto) for a glass of wine next to the fire in exceptional surroundings.

Today we just did a town day in the Val d'Aran; horrible conditions outside.. although it gave me a chance to test my Michelin Crossclimate tyres (and I was pretty happy with them) as an excuse to go to Arties for some tapas. It's been snowing non-stop and tomorrow looks even worse. But the following three days will be epic!
ski holidays
Quick update because I've just seen the videos and photos from the Grandvalira and Boí-Taüll websites and Facebook pages... A shed-load of snow has fallen already and there's still a ton of precipitation yet to fall!

Boí (for Facebook members only; not sure why businesses now think it's reasonable to publish things like this only to member-only media, but that's a rant for another day):

https://www.facebook.com/boitaull/videos/1413777992006564/

Grandvalira:

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think you missed the grandval link but they are reporting 80cm of snow in last 24 hours, although most resorts are closed again bar low levels due to the wind. The good news is wind looks like it is going to die down, and hopefully with all of the snow, all of the runs are opened

[EDIT] Actually the pic may just not be loading for me at work
snow report
Over a metre at Superbagneres by 2 o'clock today with still more falling. The big issue will be in and around the valley floors where the heavy snow turned to rain as the temperature rose during the morning. This is going to freeze tonight and with freezing whether set for the next few days the access roads are going to be very icy indeed.
snow report
Report from further west, the french stations of Gourette, La Pierre St Martin and Artouste, and the spanish station Formigal have all been closed today after the latest snowfall. Lots of work being done to secure access to the stations and to secure the pistes themselves. The avalanche risk is at its max of 5/5 at the moment. One unfortunate lady lost her life this weekend ski touring up near the spanish border. I spoke to a local pisteur last week and he was explaining that all winter now there will be a very unstable base layer thanks to the early snowfall followed by the warm spell in December, and unusually this is mostly prevelant on the normally more secure north facing slopes, the others having lost all that early snow in December.
So, enjoy the powder but please read the meteo warnings and respect their greater knowledge.
snow report
I was out ski touring above Bareges yesterday (video link below). Huge amounts of snow! Cauterets is recording 2.15m (7ft), of new snow at the Cirque de Lys for indication.
https://www.facebook.com/emma.mason.560272/videos/10154339946942615/
snow report
I'm in Baqueira-Beret at the moment. Also huge amounts of snow here. Lifts slow to open up today after a couple of days of very heavy snow and high winds. Will be awesome when it gets going!
snow report
Some photos from yesterday, blue skies but very high avalanche risk today.

ski holidays
Thanks for the photos, looks amazing!

How long does it "normally" take them to get all the pistes up and running? Its quite interesting watching it all from afar
latest report
I'm hoping that it won't fully open up tell I arrive next Monday Wink but I am a bad person.
latest report
haha as long as its open Wink Reading into my crystal ball (or the long term weather may as well be) looks to be warmer weather on the horizon so should be some good skiing this week and next week.
snow report
You can thank me for the warmer weather as I have just brought a warm ski jacket as I normally ski in march at Soldeu in just a shell. As soon as I clicked on buy the forecast shot up 20 degrees Smile
snow conditions
Does that mean we get to blame you when we get icey patches and rain Wink
ski holidays
Of course Smile I may have to get a new outfit so you can't spot me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy