Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Big Sky 5-9 February 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Resort: Big Sky

Author: hd

Date: 5-9 February 2020

Our holiday: A repeat trip to more exotic climes with 2 powder hungry snowboarding mates. We have toured the Alps extensively and are now looking for new challenges further afield. Previously in North America we have visited Panorama, Banff, Lake Louise, Whitefish, Fernie, Lake Tahoe, Revelstoke and Kicking Horse. Elsewhere Japan, Georgia and the Scandinavian Arctic Circle.

Basics: Heathrow - Seattle - Bozeman with BA/Alaska. Third part of a multi resort excursion after Bridger Bowl and Jackson Hole

Lift system: Mostly fast chairs. An efficient network when working but many lifts during our visit were closed at times due to either weather, avalanche risk or most annoyingly of all mechanical failures. Especially so the cable car which with a few exceptions provides access to essentially all of the expert terrain in the area. This had only one of its 2 tiny 15 person cabins functional on our first day (zero visibility up top so we didn't bother with the 1hr+ queue) then didn't run at all after that. Infuriating.

Lift system inadequacies plus many many more people than we had expected based on prior reviews meant queues were a frequent problem. 30mins+ on several occasions Mad

The snow: No problems here. There had been a mild dry spell prior to our arrival but we were blessed with snow every day. Mostly light dry stuff, slightly heavier on the south side (Shedhorn/Dakota lifts). Competition for the fresh though was at times extreme.

The terrain: Huge area. Pretty much all tree runs but gradient was generally on the shallow side, with the exception of some of the black and double blacks off the top of the Challenger triple and down to the Thunder Wolf quad. The closure of the tram significantly reduced the extent of expert terrain available.

The resort: A small functional base area with extortionately priced accommodation. We were lucky to find a very nice AirBNB circa 15 minutes walk from the lifts.

Food: Limited. On mountain dining options are restricted to the Everett's 8800 restaurant (extremely busy hence slow service, food ok but not worth the price), the Shedhorn Grill which we didn't visit and Madison Lodge off the Deringer lift which has a basic but functional self service. This is where we ate lunch most days.

Costs: Ikon Base pass kept these within budget. $160/day without Shocked

Conclusion: Ever since I first read about Big Sky years ago I had been wanting to visit to sample its vast area, supposedly abundant snow and nil powder stress. Well we got the snow but the inaccessibility of Lone Peak was a huge disappointment and significantly limited the terrain on offer, plus the powder competition was at times chronic. If I'd known it would be so busy and the tram was going to be closed I would never have considered visiting but hey the snow was great and we had fun Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
amazing to hear about crowds there. I was there 5-6 years ago in March and it was empty. I even took a photo at one lift to illustrate the "lines" (my wife was behind about 8 people who actually seemed to be looking around for their friends rather than waiting to board). The one exception was the cable up to the top. It was always stacked. I only went up once in 4 days for the same reasons you describe.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mr. mike wrote:
amazing to hear about crowds there. I was there 5-6 years ago in March and it was empty. I even took a photo at one lift to illustrate the "lines" (my wife was behind about 8 people who actually seemed to be looking around for their friends rather than waiting to board). The one exception was the cable up to the top. It was always stacked. I only went up once in 4 days for the same reasons you describe.

According to a local it all changed a couple of winters ago when Colorado was experiencing a poor season and BS successfully marketed the cr*p out of itself to tempt up Denverites. That plus the Ikon effect Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't call the Headwater "flat". Though some of the easiest accessible lines right off the chair isn't quite worth the "double" black diamond designation. But traverse further, there're more interesting terrain, and the snow is typically better too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@abc, indeed, I meant to have said
Quote:
with the exception of some of the black and double blacks off the top of the Challenger triple and Headwater double

as the latter terminates at essentially the same place as the former
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@hd, well, I too misread. I was thinking of Powder Seeker when reading Challenger.

I would think the Powder Seeker chair led to some interestingly steep terrain too. Not as long vertical as the Headwater though. But traverse far enough towards the end of the Powder Seeker Bowl, it gets properly steep. As few people go that far in the traverse, the snow was said to be quite good, and remain so for much longer.

hd wrote:
@abc, indeed, I meant to have said
Quote:
with the exception of some of the black and double blacks off the top of the Challenger triple and Headwater double

as the latter terminates at essentially the same place as the former

To lap Challenger, most people ski back down under the chair. That indeed isn't very steep.

Traverse further along the ridge though, one have the option to drop left towards the Powder Seeker side. Terrain there were not only properly steep but have constriction formed by rocks.

Drop right into the Madison side ("Headwater"), there're some steeps, again, needing to circumvent rock bands formations. But you can't get back on Challenger chair without having to take the main Madison 6 pack. Except there's no reason to go all the way back to Challenger. The Headwater double takes you straight back up to the top of Headwater.

So you left quite some juicy terrain unskied. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did all the Powder Seeker terrain including at the end of Turkey traverse and it doesn't amount to much. It's mainly an access lift for the tram.

Yes there are some short steeps either side of Challenger/Headwater (as I mentioned) but all the big vertical drool stuff (ostensibly as I didn't get up there apart from a quick sight seeing ride minus board) is off the tram. With that out of action the extent of expert terrain is severely reduced.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

all the big vertical drool stuff (ostensibly as I didn't get up there apart from a quick sight seeing ride minus board) is off the tram. With that out of action the extent of expert terrain is severely reduced.

Yes, bigger vertical off Lone Peak.

Lone Peak has some expert terrain. But it's not as extensive as you might imagine. Most of it is not significantly steeper than Headwater. The difference is the vert

It's true with the tram out of action, it cuts the expert terrain considerably. But unless you're coming down Big Couloir or at least the North Summit Snowfield, it's not that different from lapping Challenger/Headwater, only slower.

Much of the obsession with the peak tram is just the novelty.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Powder Seeker was pretty flat no? I'm with @hd, Big Sky is not worth the trip if you don't get the tram open. Headwater wasn't that great and the Challenger lift draws the crowds. I did the rocky face from challenger to powder seeker. Yes that's a more challenging face, but hardly mind-blowing and the shark teeth munched my board. One thing we are learning is that in the USA every resort says they are "THE BEST"......

I think we were there at the same dump as you @hd, , didn't hear or meet any other Brits though. Interesting to read your thoughts on the queues, we never waited longer than 15min BUT we did split up and use the single queue.

Agreed the powderhunter competition was tough and aggressive......but they were epic days.

I hope you got to the Dakota chair opening the following afternoon!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
shark teeth munched my board

But that’s what Big Sky is famous for!

“Millions of rocks, each in perpetual upward motion until it meets the base of you skis/board”!

Seriously, Big Sky is very rocky. The worst time is when a few inches of snow falls, covering up the rocks just enough so you can grind over a bunch of them in one go!

I pretty much had to re-wax & re-sharpen my skis every other day!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmm was heading to big sky in mid-March I believe I’m heading elsewhere. The only thing my dad hates more than expensive resort accommodation is lift queues. The whole point of going to big sky was the supposed lack of queues. I have also realised that not having any US passes means I’m pretty screwed on lift pass costs whichever resort I go too
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
Yes, bigger vertical off Lone Peak.

Lone Peak has some expert terrain. But it's not as extensive as you might imagine. Most of it is not significantly steeper than Headwater. The difference is the vert

It's true with the tram out of action, it cuts the expert terrain considerably. But unless you're coming down Big Couloir or at least the North Summit Snowfield, it's not that different from lapping Challenger/Headwater, only slower.

Moderate steepness and big vert wins every day of the week over extreme steep short run IMHO. I really wanted to do the North Summit Snowfield all the way down to Six Shooter but alas Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
Quote:
shark teeth munched my board

But that’s what Big Sky is famous for!

“Millions of rocks, each in perpetual upward motion until it meets the base of you skis/board”!

Seriously, Big Sky is very rocky. The worst time is when a few inches of snow falls, covering up the rocks just enough so you can grind over a bunch of them in one go!

I pretty much had to re-wax & re-sharpen my skis every other day!

Likewise, particularly after the first day when my new stick got trashed Sad
Thankfully Lone Mountain Sports did an excellent repair job and were very reasonably priced.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ldj226 wrote:
Hmm was heading to big sky in mid-March I believe I’m heading elsewhere. The only thing my dad hates more than expensive resort accommodation is lift queues. The whole point of going to big sky was the supposed lack of queues.

In that case don't bother, if this experience is anything to go by. Really disappointed me too. Though I am acutely aware of my hypocrisy in only adding to the problem by having been yet another Ikon pass tourist pleb.

@LittleBullet's excellent TRs suggested Solitude/Brighton were much more pleasant from the queue POV or lack thereof? We almost booked there instead Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LittleBullet wrote:
I think we were there at the same dump as you @hd, , didn't hear or meet any other Brits though. Interesting to read your thoughts on the queues, we never waited longer than 15min BUT we did split up and use the single queue.

Agreed the powderhunter competition was tough and aggressive......but they were epic days.

I hope you got to the Dakota chair opening the following afternoon!

We were screwed on a number of occasions by turning up at lifts with temporary mechanical issues e.g. Six Shooter, Ramcharger leading to long queues even in the single line. Really poor when they charge so much for the lift pass then make you have to wait forever for slow or non functioning lifts. Plus the tram one cabin out of action clusterf*ck of course.

Yes scored first run off Dakota when it opened after 2 days which was nice though sloooow chair, heavy snow and not steep. Then the queues went mental, 30mins for next ride, and 30mins for Shedhorn on the way back.

I much prefer 10cm with no crowds to 50cm powder stress days, if there has to be a choice. YMMV Smile

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 19-02-20 12:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
hd wrote:

@LittleBullet's excellent TRs suggested Solitude/Brighton were much more pleasant from the queue POV or lack thereof? We almost booked there instead Sad

Solitude/Brighten don’t have long queues because there’s more lift/terrain than parking!

On weekends, you would be parking miles down the road, or you get turn away, unless you’re the first x number of cars up the mountain!
ski holidays
@hd, ah yeah getting caught in breakdowns sucks, we only had it once and we're on the lift already. I agree at those prices the lifts need to be more reliable. Realising how lucky we were with queues.

@abc, @hd, @Ldj226, Brighton has a guy who sells parking spaces in his driveway when the lot fills up. $40 a day. I hear he makes a killing most weekends. If you want to pre-book I might be able to put you in touch with him
snow report
@LittleBullet, perhaps for locals who are limited to skiing only on weekends.

But for vacationers, it's so much easier to just go to Deer Valley on weekends and save Sol-Bright for weekdays. You do have to "pre-book" rolling eyes DV too. Though you could do it online, no need for "insider" to "get in touch". rolling eyes

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 19-02-20 18:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

We were screwed on a number of occasions by turning up at lifts with temporary mechanical issues e.g. Six Shooter, Ramcharger leading to long queues even in the single line. Really poor when they charge so much for the lift pass then make you have to wait forever for slow or non functioning lifts. Plus the tram one cabin out of action clusterf*ck of course.

@hd, that's alarming info.

I've noticed that too last year when I went. I thought it strange to have so many lift mechanical issues frequently. I even made a note on my trip report regarding that. We were even unlucky enough to get caught in one such. Plus, we did need to get out of the queue to go to a different lift in more than one occasion.

Hearing the same, or worse, is happening again this season is really not good.

I think I might give Big Sky a miss for a few years to see if things change.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy