Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any good (YouTube) videos on slalom technique out there?

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter's school team qualified for the British finals in Gloucester in a few weeks. She is a very good recreational skier but has never had any race training.
Is there any good videos out there worth looking at to help her with some tips. I know she should get some training but very busy schedule over the next few weeks and not really possible to fit in.
Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any excuse to put this up (again) Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/Wop_Zc0x1Sc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ALQ, nice 👍
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ALQ, I don't think that video is very useful.

@boabski, Did your daughter ski for the school when they qualified for the finals ? I wouldn't try to change anything at this stage.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boabski, I have the blue trousers. I've found the goggles online. Now I'm just searching for the same jacket n gloves ... then I'll be able to ski like that Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjs, She might pick something up...but you're probably right. Here's another Little Angel

http://youtube.com/v/33MVJXUwjEY
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ALQ, that's the one (your first video).

I could watch it again and again. In fact, I just have!

Especially like the short offpiste bit at about 40 seconds.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjs, yes she skied for the team when they qualified. I think she needs to be more aggressive in her style even help with the actual start
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ALQ,

really liked that first video, thanks.

On a related topic, we often see comments that someone's favourite 100mm + waist ski is great on piste and carves really well.
I always think there is a language gap about what "carves really well" means. I mean it allows me to attempt stuff like those turns in your video and I have never seen anyone manage that on 100mm+ skis...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jedster, My thought on watching the first video was that they were skidding most of the turn. The slalom bit at the end is on snow that is too soft to learn much from viewing it.

@boabski, I still wouldn't try to change anything, particularly if she won't be doing any practice between now and the race, just treat it as a fun group activity.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jedster, Nope, much as I love my fat skis most of my fun piste skiing is on good old 67mm SLs Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boabski, Not sure what you mean by "good" but a quick search on youtube gives you things like this

http://youtube.com/v/9vLepbb-Zdk
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:
..I mean it allows me to attempt stuff like those turns in your video and I have never seen anyone manage that on 100mm+ skis...

Me too. After watching that bit on crud, I decided to man-up n give crud a go on my SL skis...amazing fun ... until I found a patch with moguls hidden underneath (got interesting pretty quick Laughing )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@jedster, My thought on watching the first video was that they were skidding most of the turn. The slalom bit at the end is on snow that is too soft to learn much from viewing it.

Well there is quite a bit of pivoting which throws soft snow around but linked short carves tend to have a chunk of redirection pivoting at the cross under transition before you pick up the new edge. On firm snow this doesn't push much snow around but if there is fluff around it will tend to. I don't think I call that a real skid.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jedster, The title of the thread is a request for help with slalom technique.

I am sure that everyone in that video could give a suitable demo if they were on slalom skis on hard snow, particularly Giorgio Rocca, but that video isn't an example of one.
snow conditions
@boabski, I've not skied Gloucester but most dry slopes are not hugely long, so easy gains could come from practicing getting a good start and then entry into the first gate\turn.
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., Gloucester slope is about 250m long and the real gains are hitting the flat section carrying a much speed as possible. If you mess up the approach to the flat section days seem to pass before you start picking up speed again. On the video I posted earlier the 4th gate is on a roller. If you side slip going over that you get to the next gate very late (none of the, rather good skiers, in the video do that) from then on you get slower and slower until you get to the steeper final section. It may pay to sacrifice some speed at the top jsut to get that bit right.
snow conditions
@johnE, Yep, although the op says:

Quote:
has never had any race training.

which makes me think that practicing starts could bring some easy time gains with her limited time. Along with your tactics she should be much better set Smile
snow report
@AndAnotherThing.., Girls often don't have the upper body strength to easily change how they start. If I only have a short time to work with someone then I suggest that they just topple forward out of the start gate and not push with their poles until they are already moving.
snow conditions
@boabski, as per the link posted by @johnE above, I'd look for plastic based race videos, especially if you can find more of the slope she's visiting. If the race is SL then cross blocking will be evident from many of the regular racers, but if there isn't time to practice then probably not worth trying to start doing that during a race.

Starts: many inexperienced racers lose time by kicking the timing wand before actually moving, so toppling forward as @rjs suggests can be effective on a decently sloped start ramp, avoiding the temptation to slide one foot out in front.

Also, well done to get so far with no race experience!
snow report
@balernoStu, cheers 🍻
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy