Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro hero 5 vs. Garmin Virb Ultra 30

Poster: A snowHead
@snowglider, there's always the 'greatest' camera just around the corner waiting for you to buy and then get released wink

All the current generation of 4K cameras produce similarly great results for such incredibly small devices. Each has minor strengths and weaknesses compared to the others, but if you wait for the 'best' you might be waiting for ever.

GoPro only just released v.5 of their cameras so I can't see a major update soon. The YI+ looks like a processor bump only (allowing 4K60p) other things might be similar to the old version. 4K60 might be useful occasionally for slo-mo at full 4K resolution, but file sizes will be huge for regular footage.

Last week a new 8K soc was released (announced?). How long before that teaches action cameras...?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Below is my footage of the one and only time I used my Hero 5 at xmas with the Karma Grip. Never used one before and straight out of the box. Obviously the quality is low because it's set for Youtube, but I think the grip gives a nice smooth film.

http://youtube.com/v/RDjEVukWyA4&feature=youtu.be
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@doddsie, looks very smooth Smile Don't suppose you took any without the Karma grip to compare did you?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No sorry, I only used it on one run all with the grip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
doddsie wrote:
Below is my footage of the one and only time I used my Hero 5 at xmas with the Karma Grip. Never used one before and straight out of the box. Obviously the quality is low because it's set for Youtube, but I think the grip gives a nice smooth film.

My god that's smooth.

Modern tech is amazing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Karma grip is very good, but other gimbals are available.

But I like the karma grip personally.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ansta1, any recommendations on other gimbals?

Considering that a GoPro wasn't even on my horizon, I think that this Xmas present may get expensive.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RichClark, Feiyu do some models (G4S or G5 being the most recent handhelds, or the WG, WG-S for a wearable gimbal), Evo GP-Pro (only seems to be on sale in the US), Removu S1 is newly released, Zhiyun Z1 looks like the Evo gimbal although it might have slightly inferior gimbals according to some reviews.

Prices range from about £200 to £350.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ansta1, a few Youtube reviews have been very critical of the GoPro 5 Black having bad audio issues when it is used with the Karma Grip. Have you noticed this? Seems to be a combination of motor noise plus a muffled sound when the port door is removed because of the proximity of one of the mics.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
@snowglider, there's always the 'greatest' camera just around the corner waiting for you to buy and then get released wink

All the current generation of 4K cameras produce similarly great results for such incredibly small devices. Each has minor strengths and weaknesses compared to the others, but if you wait for the 'best' you might be waiting for ever.

rob@rar, wise words spoken there. I'm fully aware of the "wait for the next model" curse... So no real danger there, especially as I've actually got a deadline imposed for me - in the shape of EoSB snowHead

It's just that, as I've mentioned before, I'll have more use for the higher f/ps of the Yi, than for various sensors and waterproofness of the Virb/GoPro.
However, if Garmin/GoPro were to launch new models which would encompass all those features in one camera....

Only joking!!! Laughing snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowglider wrote:
.. I'll have more use for the higher f/ps of the Yi, than for various sensors and waterproofness of the Virb/GoPro.
I'm the same, but be aware of file sizes. I filmed a 13 minute clip in 4K25p earlier today and the file size was just over 6GB. If you double the number of frames to 4K50p that might double the file size? 12GB for 13 minutes of footage is going to need plenty of portable storage when you are on holiday...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
12GB for 13 minutes of footage is going to need plenty of portable storage when you are on holiday...

Yep, that's exactly how I intend to work around that - bring a laptop. And maybe even a large capacity external HD.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowglider wrote:
... bring a laptop. And maybe even a large capacity external HD.
That's what I do. My laptop doesn't have much storage available, so I take a 1TB portable drive. It doesn't add much space or weight to my packing, but means I don't have to worry too much about running out of storage for video files.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rob@rar, I was thinking along exactly the same lines! You know what they say about minds thinking alike, and all that... Laughing snowHead
snow report
Anyone got a recommended small portable but large capacity hard drive?? Thinking 1tb?
snow conditions
@kitenski, I use a LaCie 1TB HDD. Has a Thunderbolt and USB3 port on it, and is bus powered so no powerbrick to carry around. It comes with a rubber case so is described as "rugged". It's a couple of year old but no problems with it. There are probably smaller drives available, but this is small enough to slip into hold or hand luggage. I only use it for storage, not sure if it's fast enough to edit 4K footage with.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 11-01-17 22:39; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@kitenski, sorry no, I also need to buy it. So will be keeping an eye on the responses that you get.
latest report
With regards to the sound and the karma grip, I didn't notice any motor noise, but do get a bit of a low level hiss. I've been filming indoors this week and have had to edit the sound afterwards in Adobe to get rid of it. The other problem is that you can't use an external mic at the same time as the grip, because they plug into the same port.
latest report
@snowglider, my shortlist is two

First one out of stock at the moment. Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable External Hard Drive 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 £47.98

Amazon says this is an SSD drive inside which I find hard to believe for the price! 230g 119 x 79 x 15 (mm)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KWHJY7Q/?tag=amz07b-21

This one is in stock but costs a little more. Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch £59.99 136g 114x76x10mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Backup-Ultra-Portable-External/dp/B01AUTX7BO/?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
@snowglider, If Garmin and Go Pro could make 4k 60fps work, then they both would have done... which makes me very sceptical of a Chinese company I have never heard of.

It's also worth thinking about how you would process the footage. I have the latest iMac with 16Gb of RAM, 2TB of fusion drive and it takes quite a while to process a big 4K 30fps file. 60fps would kill it and I can't see non commercial users really being able to use the footage and most tvs will not show much difference between 1080 and 4K. Lovely to have the option, but only if you can use it.

The single biggest issue for the camera would be keeping the battery cool at that kind of data flow. The battery wouldn't be far off the equivalent of short circuit. Garmin and Go Pro have multi $bn dollar business reputations to protect against products catching fire. Yi doesn't.
snow conditions
@kitenski, the Toshiba is now showing as back in stock. It is wrongly described as SSD, it isn't - it's a spindle HDD - but at that price, it's still a steal Smile
I think I might actually wait and get it nearer the time I purchase the action cam. HDD prices are only ever going down (or their capacity is rising for a given price).

@bar shaker, the fps rate depends on a chip (which actioncam builders source from third parties).
I absolutely have no doubt that both, Garmin & GoPro, will come up with their prospective 60 fps cams, it's only a matter of time.

Yi is actually a manufacturer with a decent reputation. I'm surprised you've not heard of them before. I have no qualms about buying a camera from them. But I will wait for the independent reviews, of course - I won't just order one blindly.

With regard to the editing... I have a powerful desktop PC which is capable of doing the job.
I know exactly why I want a high fps rate @ UHD - I didn't just decide that it's a feature I want on a whim.
snow report
Found another snowboarding 4k/60fps video clip, it's a longer version of the video I posted on the previous page:

http://youtube.com/v/a1D6xizxLXg&feature=youtu.be

The reviewer did complain about some vignetting, but pointed out that he tested a pre-production model and was hopeful that it'll be eliminated before the camera reaches production.
In his own words, despite the vignetting issue, he was still "blown away" by the camera.

Here's what he replied to someone who was enquiring about the battery life and file sizes:

"DBT Sruh
i did a battery test with the prototype Yi 4K+ cam and recorded 4k@60fps with 100Mbit/s. The Display was always on and the room temperature was 22 Celsius. With these conditions, the cam was able to record 55min and wrote 40GB data to the microSD card."

So it appeares that neither battery life nor excessive heating will be a problem.
snow report
Ive recently picked up a Go-Pro Hero 5 Black Edition for my up coming trip to Whistler.

Ive no idea what settings to use for the best but i was thinking maybe 1080p @ 60fps would this be ok? Not really clued up on this thing yet

Someone else told me that for certain qualities you need a certain type of sd card in order for it to work does anyone know if thats right?
snow conditions
@dave_wick, yes I got video errors with a none recommended card. The list is quite short:

https://workswith.gopro.com/info
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@dave_wick, yes I got video errors with a none recommended card. The list is quite short:

https://workswith.gopro.com/info

Quite annoying ive bought a few cards without realising.

One of the cards i bought defo works in the camera i used it at squash to test it out the other day so i assume its ok or will i get sub standard quality?
snow conditions
@dave_wick, mine worked but when recording 4k video I kept getting errors and the video stopped recording!

there is another list here https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy