Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lively Brahma alternative?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First, apologies - I know it's the "what ski?" time of the year, and here's another thread!

I'm a strong skier (probably a 10 on the Inside Out scale), 182cm and 74kgs. I prefer shorter turns, like to use the terrain and contours of the hill, hit the odd jump / drop etc and play on any bit of soft snow I can find off the side of the piste, in the trees etc. I've got dedicated powder skis, so not looking for a one ski quiver, this is definitely focused on a fun everyday ski for firmer snow (so "normal" Alps conditions in between big dumps). I don't mind a bit of speed, but flat out, longer radius carving isn't my focus. Fun and playful is!

However, they'll be fitted with Dynafit Beasts and maybe used for the odd day tour or accessing sidecountry when conditions are variable, but primary focus isn't powder - I'll take out the big skis whenever I can.

I had been looking around 88mm width and initially had the Brahma at the top of my list, but reading reviews on this year's model worry that they're too much off a GS carver and a damp ski, with several reviewers noting they don't "pop" you from turn to turn, but are silky smooth when carving wide open, GS turns. Whitedot One's maybe fit the bill? Or maybe Black Crows Captis?

Anything else to be recommended from personal experience before I confuse myself even more with online reviews??

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe you should try Atomic Vantage 90 CTI. In almost all ski test reviews they are among the best skis in category.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dashed, I love my brahma (2016) and don;t find them damp at all, in fact its a ski that you can really push with no issues in 'pop'. The 2016 build can still be found, but mainly in the US... shame about the $-£!!

Another ski to look at, a little narrower under foot would be the Scott Black Majic's. I haven't skied them myself, but are supposed to be an awesome ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scott The Ski would fit the "Fun and Playful" description...if the're not a touch too wide....if they are, the Black Magics listed above would probably be better.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got Black Crow Ovas - love them. Great for hooning it about on piste and jumping off the side occasionally. 85mm under and signed pretty much for the purpose you have in mind.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I also love my brahmas, and find that with their wood core and 2.5 layers of titanium they certainly do provide some pop, and you do need to stay on them.
Their sidecut radius IIRC is around 19m, so they don't throw you into a super tight turn, but I personally find a 12-13m SL type ski rather tiresome after a while, and the longer radius of the brahma more fun and playful on different snow conditions.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also love my brahmas, and find that with a wood core and 2.5 layers of titanium they certainly do provide some pop, and you do need to stay on them.
Their sidecut radius IIRC is around 19m, so they don't throw you into a super tight turn, but I personally find a 12-13m SL type ski rather tiresome after a while, and the longer radius of the brahma more fun and playful on different snow conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dashed, I don't know what size you need, but Absolute-Snow have some 15/16 Brahma in 166... assume that's too small?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am a similar size to the OP at 183cm / 75 kg and ski the 180 - which is spot on
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gra, yea, I didn't read the OP fully and missed his stats
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmmm, thanks folks - looks like the Brahma is worth another look! But will also check out some of the other skis mentions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Volkl RTM 84 UVO rated in the 2017 Ski Club test:
This is a fantastic all mountain choice. It’s a supremely well balanced ski that feels perfectly weighted underfoot, this allows it to be easy to turn and effortless to adjust at anytime. While being easy at slower speeds, it’s also really capable when pushed on to higher speeds and bigger edge angles. The levels of grip on the piste are incredibly high, with great energy coming out of the turns while constantly delivering a smooth ride. In deeper, off trail conditions it pulls of the amazing trick of still feeling easy to use and can cope really well. This is an all mountain ski that really can work in every situation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Atomic Vantage 90 CTI on the same page:
For an all mountain ski, the Vantage has plenty of performance. It has a very reactive sidecut which engages quickly and then tears out some really impressive mid size arcs. It has high levels of edge hold, and really grips from the middle of the turn. For a ski that looks more backcountry orientated, it really delivers a high energy performance on the pistes. In deeper, off piste conditions it still works really well, with a wide shovel that gives instant float and easy pivoting. Overall a great all mountain ski which is incredibly well priced.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dashed, I was going to say the Latigo in 184cms until I read the bit about the bindings. I tossed out (on ebay) most of my "quiver" skis and bought a ski just for "fun and playfull" in normal alps conditions. I also got the fat boys for those rare powder days I seem never to get.

Now the Latigo is a slimmer Brahma, but IMHO much more of a snappier piste focussed do-it-all. This does not mean to say it can do it all, but certainly on the hard pack, icy, groomers the Latigo has a wide range of the qualities you ask of a ski. Having demo'ed the 2015/16 Brahma I only found it a "nice" all-rounder that lacked "bite" and "verve/snap". At 74kgs you may just be a tad too light to get the best out of 2.5 layers of Titanium, but the Blizzards are meant to be skied long and you may get a tad knackered after a full-on days skiing. You'll love the Blizzard range, so don't dismiss the Latigos as being too "thin", they punch way above their waistline. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy