Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski servicing south of England

Poster: A snowHead
Previously used Edge and Wax for ski servicing and was always happy with results. Given that they are not an option anymore, is there anywhere other than Snow and Rock in Port Solent to recommend? Or is Snow and Rock the best choice? Based on A3 in Hampshire. Thank you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have used snowtrax with no issue (before doing the course with Jon)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, thanks: what/ where is snowtrax?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
North of bournemouth. It is a dry ski slope with a shop and they do servicing as well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.snowtrax.eu/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowsartre, Rinskis in Bosham also do ski servicing and they are nearer to you...

http://rinskis.com/workshop-servicing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HoneyBunny, Rinskis sound good - have you used them?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know someone who told me last year she had her skis serviced at http://www.thesnowboardshop.co.uk in Fleet though they don't seem to advertise the service. They might be worth contacting.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.skiservicing.co.uk/ previously in Aldershot, now just off M3 J3.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.powertoedge.co.uk based in Rustington West Sussex

Web site includes full price list
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had my skis serviced just last week by these guys, based in Battersea and Norwich, very happy with service plus home collection and delivery. Prices on website.

http://batterseaski.co.uk/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JimG2009, wow, that's more or less on my doorstep. Might give him a whirl. Much as I love everyone at Ski Bartlett, it's a bit of a nuisance going to and from Hillingdon.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowsartre, re: Rinskis: I have, a few years back: great service then...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had no idea there were so many other options, thanks all! Like the idea of one-man band style servicing powertoedge - assuming that hand-tooled is better than machined?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowsartre, I asked the same question a few months back and @CEM recommended Snow Lab nr. Eastbourne. But i recently stumbled across http://www.powertoedge.co.uk too, who I believe was helping Jon out at the Hemel Ski Test.

I haven't used either as yet, but need my Brahama's quiverd, so I'll probably try out http://www.powertoedge.co.uk soon enough.
ski holidays
RichClark wrote:
......But i recently stumbled across http://www.powertoedge.co.uk too, who I believe was helping Jon out at the Hemel Ski Test.

I haven't used either as yet, but need my Brahama's quiverd, so I'll probably try out http://www.powertoedge.co.uk soon enough.

Power To Edge is run by fellow snowHead Glen Charman. Glen's a former student of mine & has been ski fettling for years & has recently decided to set-up commercially. In fact, over the years I think he's bought every servicing tool I have on my website including his Whitedot skis. He's also got an extensive range of binding mounting jigs, has his own hotbox & can install QK inserts. He's not far from Edge & Wax's now defunct site so if you're in that locale & want a quality hand tune then he's ya man. Great bloke too.
snow report
@spyderjon, thanks for the reassurance Jon. Will be in touch next week to discuss my r.108. 99% certain that i'll quiver then and use my griffons... and then get Glen to quiver my Brahmas. I'll just need a wider set of brakes.
latest report
@spyderjon, thanks 😀

Hi all
I'm now setup to tune skis and snowboard I'd like to think to the same high standard as spyderjon

As spyderjon said I have over 30 jigs for binding mounting. I do tech and alpine bindings with or without QK. I'm based in Rustington so only down the road from the old Edge & Wax

If you interested have a look at my web site www.powertoedge.co.uk or give me a call for a chat or pm me

Sorry admin I hope that's ok
snow report
@Glen Charman, Hi Glen, do you offer discounts for snowHead ? wink
snow report
@Glen Charman, wow, good for you! Very Happy
snow report
@Hurtle, thank you Very Happy

@Snowsartre, I've sent you a PM
ski holidays
@Glen Charman, I'll be in touch in a week or two!
snow report
@RichClark, it will be great to hear from you
latest report
Snowsartre wrote:
I had no idea there were so many other options, thanks all! Like the idea of one-man band style servicing powertoedge - assuming that hand-tooled is better than machined?

Absolutely not. Hand tuning and modern machines both have their place. The precision factor of modern machines is difficult to replicate by hand. Most folk I've come across who proclaim to hand tune their gear for hours on end do a mediocre/average job at best.
ski holidays
[quote="crosshatch"]
Snowsartre wrote:
.........The precision factor of modern machines is difficult to replicate by hand.........

Not true at all.
snow report
[quote="crosshatch"]
Snowsartre wrote:
.........The precision factor of modern machines is difficult to replicate by hand.........

Not true at all.
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@HoneyBunny, Rinskis sound good - have you used them?

Not for a long time, they're a bit of a trek for me, but they were good last time I did.

I'm tempted to go back there as I've had a couple of crap tunes from Snow and Rock in Port Solent.
latest report
[quote="spyderjon"]
crosshatch wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:

Not true at all.

+1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
crosshatch wrote:
........The precision factor of modern machines is difficult to replicate by hand.........

Not true at all.
succinctly put

crosshatch wrote:
Most folk I've come across
They should've gone to sp......yderjon's
latest report
Would you not agree, @spyderjon, the the replicability and speed of a machine is difficult to replicate by hand, especially when it's 02h00 and you've already done 800 pairs?
snow report
@under a new name, the statement questioned the ability to hand tune to equal/better than a machine.

Yes, machines are faster for volume but that wasn't the question.
snow report
@Snowsartre, i've used Rinskis at Bosham (Chichester) always a good friendly service Very Happy
ski holidays
@spyderjon, I wasn't answering his question, rather asking my own.

In fairness, while I am sure You achieve a similar precision I am equally sure there are many hand servicing (!!??) shops that don't. snowHead
latest report
I think the short answer is that there aren't many hand servicing shops. You have to really trust a shop to have your kit put through a machine by them i.e. I haven't had a base grind (other than self inflicted on rocks) in 20 years following a experience which drastically reduced the life of my snowboard.
snow conditions
[quote="spyderjon"]
crosshatch wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:

Not true at all.

Each to their own, although I expected you to say that, given the nature of your business.

Unfortunately there is a lot of bad press plastered all over the Internet relating to machine tuning, some of which is true, lots of which is not. People who know very little about the subject seem to jump on the bandwagon as it's the 'done thing' to slate this type of service. Many just assume that machines are all the same and are therefore only capable of trashing expensive planks! This may of course be true in some instances but fantastic results are achievable on well-maintained and calibrated kit, without removing any more material than a toothed file by hand; often less, in fact.
snow report
@crosshatch, I wonder how many of the problems with machine tuning arise from poor customer service rather than poor machines? I expect customer service to include understanding customer expectation and requirements, and agreement on actions and results. For me, "tuning" or "servicing" can be vague terms, so the question I ask when I hand in my single pair of precious skis, is will they be tuned to their particular spec, with no work done that we have agreed isn't essential? I suspect it is not so much that a machine is used, as how it is used.

@under a new name,
Quote:
you've already done 800 pairs

If my skis had been in that batch, then unless the setup was changed as required for the skis being processed, (or they were all done to my spec wink ) , I would not be a happy bunny. Horses for courses?

Quote:
People who know very little about the subject
that's me but I'm trying to not stay that way Very Happy
snow report
@motyl, if you'd specified, they'd be done to spec.

I'm more referring to bulk processing of rentals.
snow conditions
Do different specs for ski tuning really matter for regular all-around skiing? When I get a new pair I ski on whatever factory setting were, maybe de-tune tips and tails if needed, and when time eventually comes for service I just give them to a shop without any specific indications, apart from "edge and wax", as I don't even know what particular settings are or should be for all my skis. I suspect they might be different as skis are different, but I can't really tell. I am not sure if a shop will preserve the original setting or apply some other, universal, setting that should work for most. I am not a pro so this approach seems to work well, if a tune is good enough it's good enough whether my skis were serviced together with 200 pairs of rental skis or separately, and whether it was done by machine, by hand or by foot. Maybe I don't know what I am missing:) I never had bad tune either, at least at no point did I think "my skis are behaving strangely, must be bad tune". "My edges are totally blunt" is another matter but it's usually due to lack of servicing and not a bad tune. I suspect 99% of modern shops do a satisfactory job for 99% skiers.
snow report
For most people, @never summer? I'd be amazed if they did.
snow conditions
@under a new name, why? Do you reckon that most skiers have special requirements regarding the tune? What I observed is that most just drop skis at the shop - with a choice usually based on convenience of location or discounts given - and collect when needed without giving any information to the shop as to which settings they want. As I said probably they don't get the best possible tune but it probably doesn't matter all that much as long as the tune is not bad and average modern ski shops are usually equipped to provide this level of service.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy