Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansa ski luggage allowance

Poster: A snowHead
I just put the phone down with Lufthansa. I had booked flights earlier and was trying to book a space for my skis. Turns out I made a mistake. My ticket type 'economy light' didn't allow any skis without paying extra 50e. I had already payed 30e for a 23kg luggage but they still charge extra 50e if I take my skis. Had I realised this when choosing ticket types, I would have bought the regular economy ticket which was only 30e dearer, but includes both luggage and skis. I didn't pay attention to any of this when I purchased the tickets. I just thought it will be just same. So if anyone is planning to go with Lufthansa this might save you a beer or two for the apres.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's annoying, Lufthansa are usually really good though if you call them immediately. Try them again?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting mistake to make. LH shows the economy light as the "from" price on the flight selection page, but automatically selects the regular economy as the default when you choose a specific flight, so you have to actively choose light. I thought the price of regular economy with 1 bag included, and economy light with baggage as an optional extra was the same, but useful to know the T+C differ slightly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lmu2002 wrote:
Had I realised this when choosing ticket types, I would have bought the regular economy ticket which was only 30e dearer, but includes both luggage and skis. I didn't pay attention to any of this when I purchased the tickets.

Recently both Lufthansa (and Swiss Airlines who are part of the Lufthansa group) have introduced cheaper cabin baggage only tickets to compete better with the budget airlines. Their website does explain what each of the different ticket types include, so I'm afraid as usual it's very much a case of caveat emptor.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy wrote:
I thought the price of regular economy with 1 bag included, and economy light with baggage as an optional extra was the same, but useful to know the T+C differ slightly.

This very much. I think it would be reasonable to assume that if you pay the price required, you would get the same content, regardless which way you click the buttons. I was also booking for my son at same time, which made me choose the same ticket category. Never thought it had an impact for the product.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes this is true and has been discussed on the forum before. If you book classic, not light, you get bag plus free ski carriage however i have not compared the fares adding bag and skis onto light fare.
You could probably (like BA, KLM and Air France) take a double ski bag filled with colthes, boots etc plus cabin bags instead of paying extra for ski bag. I do this if going for one week with one pair if skis but for longer with 2 pair i need extra bag
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@lmu2002, can you not ask them if you can upgrade the ticket as you made a mistake?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was nearly caught out by this. I'm a Star Alliance gold member, and for SAS that allows me to check in 2 bags even on the lowest Go Light fare. But for Lufthansa, the extra baggage allowance for gold members doesn't apply for Economy Light. Fortunately I checked the rules and booked Economy Classic. Both Star Alliance airlines but different rules.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wasn't introduced that recently, been there for at least 18 months, on routes where they compete directly with luggage free carriers (e.g. BA)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Since July last year for flights from October onwards. I know my summer flights last year were booked after it was announced, but before it came in to operation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
@lmu2002, can you not ask them if you can upgrade the ticket as you made a mistake?

I asked this but they refused to upgrade. My thought is this: why do they even have the luggage option for the light fare? As far as pricing, the light fare plus luggage=classic ticket. Same price. They should just have the new light fare with no luggage whatsoever and then the classic with luggage (including optional skis) like they used to. This way I would have been saved from this headache. It's not the money, it's the principle.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you buy a light ticket but then realise you need to check a bag.

It's worth writing an email or letter to their customer services. Say you are willing to pay the 30 Euros for the equivalent classic fare, ask if they can kindly waive the 50 Euros for skis.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've made the same expensive mistake. I'll take more care next year. Sad snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the wording in their Web site is open to misinterpretation and finished up calling them for clarification. Standard economy allows for one item of hold baggage (23kg), one piece of carry on (8kg), and special/ski luggage where a minimum of 24 hrs notice has to be given. I said that I normally packed two pairs in the one bag and was told this was not a problem. All confirmed by email Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The light fares are also non-transferable, i.e. you can't rebook them for another date.
snow conditions
just booked "classic economy" tickets, do I need to now "register" that I am bringing skis with Lufthansa??

So if I read this correctly I can take skis (is there a weight limit ie could I put 2 pairs in one bag) + 23kg hold baggage + 8kg carry on??
snow report
Yep. Phone them up to register them.
I think it's even better than that... 23kg baggage + carry on + "1 ski equipment" which can actually consist of ski bag/board bag and boot bag and helmet bag.
latest report
Plus they fly from Birmingham, which for me is a God send.
snow report
@lmu2002 BIG thankyou, are yep, just looking at my Luftie ticket now, yep, it says EconmonyLightK, didn't know that about the skis either as i had just also booked the extra bag and was now sorting out weight and planning to phone them tomorrow to book skis in....Now thinking I don't want skis trashed so maybe will rent instead. And I thought I had read all the fine print when I booked....as @Andy notes.
Anyway, you may have made my decision easier, thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy