Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Denver

Poster: A snowHead
Hi @Masque Keep on Truckin!

The scenery sounds just great ... I must go to Colorado sometime.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have (very nice!) accommodation in Denver booked through work, so I think I am going to drive to the mountains at the crack of dawn on Friday, so I only have to book Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights (which I have to pay for).

I am thinking Vail, but frankly don't feel the need to stay in resort: the cheapest place I am finding is £260/night. I'll happily do a drive and $25/day parking to knock half off that. My evenings won't be spent in après - they'll be spent chilling and reading a book, as home like is pretty hectic right now with house renovation/move and lord knows what else going on. Similarly, being on my own I won't be drinking, so am happy to drive out to grab dinner wherever.

Thanks for the recommendations, chaps - looks like Frisco/Silverthorne for accommodation. Thank you for the suggestion of the Silverthorne Lodge: any others? Luxury not a thing, but security (no dodgy areas), parking and cleanliness are!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Harry Flashman, Super 8 are a good quality budget motel chain, and they have a motel in Dillon. Their rates (which are currently showing $149/night i.e approx £123/night) include breakfast. Motel website here
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Silver Inn would be my choice over the Super 8 or Silverthorne Lodge. Again as I said before check the Trip Advisor reviews before booking.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.skimonarch.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Harry, I would check back on a room in Vail just a night or 2 prior. If the bookings are a little slow, you might get something fairly reasonable last minute, and, if your other reservation is with a large chain, you typically can cancel last minute with no charge. If you end up driving to Vail each day, you might want to go a little early or late Saturday (especially) and Sunday. Daytripper weekend traffic on I-70 can be very heavy westbound in the mornings and eastbound afternoons.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I booked a cancellable room in Silverthorne with exactly that in mind - good tip! Have a small Jeep 4x4, and will have all my kit with me from skiing in Utah with the in-laws over new year.

That said, there is NO snow in Utah/Colorado at the moment. Commentators appear to be calling it a really bad start to the season - to warm to make snow either! Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How was your trip? Where did you end up skiing/staying?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi! Stayed in Silverthorne.

I was massively underwhelmed by the backside of Vail. We had a very cold day (-20C), so admittedly the snow was very sticky and slow, but I thought the bowls were boring and not very challenging, and most of the double black diamond tree skiing started out OK, but rapidly became flat and hopeless. Tried it again the next day in warmer conditions and still thought it was boring, with a lot of flat traversing to boot.

Frontside has some great Black/Double Black mogul runs: not hard or steep, but long and thus physically demanding. Didn't really have time to examine the groomed frontside pistes in detail.

I loved Copper - great non-groomed runs. Beaver Creek I liked too for the piste skiing, and the fact that no-one was off-groomer (unlike Vail) so got some great runs in.

But I love skiing in the USA - people are so friendly, atmosphere is great.

Damned expensive though. I have an EpicPass - but a single day in Vail is $189 now...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's definitely an art to skiing the back bowls at Vail and it doesn't involve the most intuitive navigation which will see you on very dull cat tracks.

Beaver Creek is definitely underrated for its bumps (Grouse), trees like Royal Elk and Stickline and challenging terrain like Stone Creek.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A bit farther West will get you to Aspen and Aspen Highlands. Some very good steep terrain to play around in.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
There's definitely an art to skiing the back bowls at Vail and it doesn't involve the most intuitive navigation which will see you on very dull cat tracks.

Beaver Creek is definitely underrated for its bumps (Grouse), trees like Royal Elk and Stickline and challenging terrain like Stone Creek.

Grouse and Royal Elk were my favourite areas of the whole trip!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Me and the Mrs have just come back from a 26 day trip to Breck/ Vail, out 3rd year running in Colorado.

Even Vail was practically empty mid-week, as were Breck, A-Basin and Beaver Creek.

If you have ever thought about visiting Colorado, make sure you buy your early birk Epic Pass/ Rocky Mountain pass in March/ April this season and it will have paid for itself after 3.5 days next season
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dougy Giro,
That sounds great! We did something similar last Feb, with 23 days staying in Keystone, and had a fantastic time. We stayed in a really cheap (but fantastic) condo in Keystone itself. The sad thing is the owner must have had second thoughts on pricing and doubled the price for this season...

Where did you stay and how did you commute between ski areas? Did you use the free buses? And how did you get to Vail and Beaver Creek?

How did you find the prices this season? We were shocked by some on-mountain dining prices last season, so would imagine this season could be horrific, following the plummeting pound. Sad Did your Giro cover the costs? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Organised DIA to Breck then Vail to DIA by contacting a driver off Craigslist for $100 each way, Uber from Breck to Vail was $32 after using $20 voucher.

Stayed at River Run condos(?) one block off Main Street opposite the end of the 4 o clock run, which was good, and the Simba Run at Vail which was superb, but not cheap. $6.20 for a coffee on the hill was a killer, but $4.99 for sirloin in the Supermarket softened the blow.

Used shuttle bus for all other resort visits. Looking to book next year again, but for not quite as long
ski holidays
Did you use the on mountain grills at Vail for the Sirloin? People eat mighty well without spending a cent on the hill.
ski holidays
We didn't find out it existed until when in the hot tub on the last night when some guys said they were given BBQ Elk
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy