Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length for 10y old - too long???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Will 130cm piste(traditional race style) skis be too long for my daughter?

10y
33kg/ 73lb
133cm / 4'4"
4 weeks on snow + 50 hours on dry slope
Level: Reasonable parallel down reds and easy blacks on the trip last year.

I know 130 is on the long side when she is only 133 tall but obviously I want them to last 2 seasons and her ski level is beyond beginner. According to charts she's a little heavy for her height. She's also pretty physical in general - mtb, rugby, parcour.

What do you think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I don't see an issue.

You get lloooadddsss of people who say its best to keep a child on a shorter ski as it helps them turn, but then wonder why their kids feet are wobbling all over the place when they get any speed up.

My 4yo is on 100cm skis which is a touch below head height and he's been fine on them for 6 months now, and will continue to be until after crimbo when he opens his shinny new ones Happy

Add to that your nipper is confident parallel and I can't see there being a problem at all.

What length does she ski on now?? Skiing on dry or in a dome?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My 9yo/30kg/15-20 (lost track!) weeks on snow used 115 & 130cm last season on snow, and will use 130 & 140cm this season.

He uses 115cm for dry slope racing, would probably benefit from 120cm but no longer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the reply.

She was on 105cm last year on real snow. She was ok on piste but I think she could have done with a bit for surface area for float when she hit pow and a bit more length when it got choppy.

She has shot up over the summer.

Took her to the dry slope last week end and she was on 120 - she said they were fine. Not due to go back for a another few weeks where I'll get her to try out some 130's

I know 10cm is a heck of a difference - especially when your only 133cm in height.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@earl, Good plan. Just remember people tend to go a little shorter on dry / domes because you run out of room after 20m Happy - a little longer on/off piste is better Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PS if your looking to buy, check out glisshop.co.uk atm, 17% off on top of their usual discount! Always found their service to be great
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Much thanks guys.

I know the general issues of buying skis for growing kids - they tend to be too long in the first season then too short in the last season.... But I want her to have a consistent pair of quality skis for dry/dome/mountain riding.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PaulC - yea that where I'm looking. I'm amazed at the price of a set of kids skis compared to rental. New skis and bindings for £120 or less. A week rental in Italy last year was £65 inc boots. They looked ok but they had definitely been in rental stock for a few season. I take a ski/board bag out anyway so I'll just slip these in too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@earl, Last time we took eldest granddaughter she was 10, and pretty much exactly same size as your daughter, less experience on snow but more on dry slope.

She then skied 120s on dendix, and was absolutely fine with 130s on snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My daughter is the same age/weight but a bit taller and races on 120, her twin tips are 130. She'll be on 130 race skis for next season.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My (just turned) 9 year old is 147cm tall but I've no idea what he weighs at the moment but he is solid. He has been on 138cm Salomon X-Race Jr SL since summer 2015. He uses then on both dry slope and snow. He also has a pair of K2 Juvys @ 139cm and a pair of Rossignol Junior GS skis @ 151cm. I'm hoping that he can get this coming season out of all of them but I suspect by the time he does the English National Champs in Bormio he'll need 145s.

Your daughter might be okay on 130s on snow but they will probably be a bit long for dry-mat. You don't say if she is planning on racing but if she is I'd say they are too long. My son tried a pair of Atomic Redster FIS 145s at a ski test at Hillend a couple of weeks ago and found them too long. He is a competent racer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
earl wrote:
Much thanks guys.

I know the general issues of buying skis for growing kids - they tend to be too long in the first season then too short in the last season.... But I want her to have a consistent pair of quality skis for dry/dome/mountain riding.

Ideally, separate skis for dry ski slope and for snow, and ideally again single season use only (plenty scope for resale), she's at an age band and ability level where she'll benefit greatly from suitably matched kit - and she'll appreciate her father even more! Trust me it works Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good idea about separate skis - dry slope rental is free so I guess I'll suggest she stay on their 120's - saving here 130's for snow.

I'll see how she does in the next couple of months - no doubt she will want some park skis at some stage too - if she wants to start doing that kind of thing I'm all for it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy