Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My mates and I are all settled on going to Bulgaria in February. Not sure between borovets or bansko.

With this in mind, what goggles do people recommend and suggest I get? I understand different lighting requires different lenses. Anyone know what best suits bulgaria? I know that It can change whilst there but as a rule of thumb what should I look for?

Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Regions don;t matter, it's all down to the sun or lack of it Smile I started with Persimmion which is a pretty good lowish light lens tint but a little bit bright in the sun. All the various makes are different, but I would get a mid range general condition lens to cope with varying conditions. A lens marketed for sunny bright days will be a nightmare if overcast, while a yellow one which is brilliant for low light or when it's snowing will have you squinting in the sunshine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or... you can always wear sunglasses for really bright days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Photocromatic lenses are a good compromise. The don't react instantly so skiing from shade into bright sunlight it does take a second or two to adjust. Bolle Modulator goggles are good value.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bansko has lots of pretty trees, so there isn't much problem with flat light.

Any mid-light goggle will do you fine (I spent the whole time in an entry level red lens with no problems at all). If you want something cool / expensive - Oakley all the way (with 'Hi-Yellow' for low / flat light).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd suggest cheap goggles - Lidl or Aldi are fine. No point in going to Bulgaria to save cash over somewhere better then spending £150 on a pair of Oakleys.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plenty of good cheap shops out in both Borovets and Bansko , where you can try in shop before you part with your hard earned cash .
A mid range price will stand you ion good stead for a few years if you look after them .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anything that fits you, with a Bolle Modulator (Photocromatic) or Oakley Prizm lens....keep an eye out at Shade Station or Freeze Pro Shop.

Last year I bought some Oakley A Frame 2.0, with Prizm Rose Lens, for 60 GBP and my son got some Bolle Gravity Light Modulators, for 40GBP.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
musher wrote:
Photocromatic lenses are a good compromise. The don't react instantly so skiing from shade into bright sunlight it does take a second or two to adjust. Bolle Modulator goggles are good value.

I have issues with the Bolle in flat light so resorted to ebay and picked up a £10 pair of something with hardly any tint. I basically only use them on really grey days but they are definitely better for it than the modulator.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And if your wearing a helmet , make sure you take it so you can get best fit to face and helmet shape Shock
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welding goggles may make Bansko town prettier. wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I'd suggest cheap goggles - Lidl or Aldi are fine. No point in going to Bulgaria to save cash over somewhere better then spending £150 on a pair of Oakleys.

+1 from me. My lidl goggles are bloody great. I think they cost me £8!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So what are the best low light goggles?

I hear the Oakley flight deck have a special lens for low/flat light.Anyone know which lens that is?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Philip1972, Rose Prizm for a general low / flat lens, but it's not just in the Flightdeck now.

I find their Hi Yellow is the best lens for when it's dumping, but it's too bright for anything else.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PowderAdict, Thank you!
ski holidays
And you can get a cheap clear lens with UV protection for night skiing or when it's really poor light.
ski holidays
As a few people have said the fit should be your number 1 concern as a pair that don't fit your face shape/helmet face hole will be at best annoying, with a cold draught getting around them and blowing across your eyeballs but could actually pinch the bridge of your nose and be bloody uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

Other than that it's really down to convenience, pose value and how much you want to spend.

Most beginner/fair weather skiers only have a single pair of goggles with general purpose lenses (what most come with by default). If you're going to look out the window, see it's a shitty looking day and decide to skip the slopes that's all you need. If you have the "I know it's going to be shitty up there but I've paid for the lift pass so bloody well going to use it" gene you'll also want a low light lens, at which point you have 3 options:

1. Buy a cheap pair of goggles (that fit) but have yellow lenses. Cheapest option but 2 pairs of goggles to pack and you're more or less committed to a lens for the day when you leave the hotel in the morning so can't really change with the conditions.

2. Buy a more expensive pair of goggles with interchangeable lenses and a second, low light lens. More expensive but just a second lens rather than whole pair of goggles to pack and easier to take the other lens out with you to change if it brightens up.

3. Get goggles with a single lens that reacts to the light level. Most convenient but also most expensive.
latest report
I find my Oakley persimmon lenses work well in most conditions. I always wear sunglasses on clear days however
latest report
@mikeelsa, I had those as my only lens for about 5 years. The A Frame goggle I bought was fairly cheap but a massive step up from my first cheap goggles which misted up a lot. 10 years later I am still using it with replacement lenses.
snow conditions
Having owned both, the Prizm Rose lens is much better, in both low and bright light, than the Persimmon lens.
ski holidays
everything looks better with a rose tinted lens Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
everything looks better with a rose tinted lens Toofy Grin

Not after Brexit, it doesn't! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Beer goggles Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
Beer goggles Toofy Grin

Winner!
latest report
UkuleleDave wrote:
Scarpa wrote:
Beer goggles Toofy Grin

Winner!

Absolutely...they work everywhere. Cool
latest report
Bolle Nova II Modulator Light Control . . . .comfy, fog free and old skool looks with a surprisingly large field off vision - not massive oversized jet pilot affairs . . .you can also get these lenses with different frames if you prefer bigger etc

Work well in the majority of conditions including overcast/low-ish light. I've got another pair with Yellow lenses (same Nova II frame) for white outs that go in the back pack . . .you can buy both these for less than your average pair of Oakleys . .
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
Bolle Nova II Modulator Light Control . . . .comfy, fog free and old skool looks with a surprisingly large field off vision - not massive oversized jet pilot affairs . . .you can also get these lenses with different frames if you prefer bigger etc

Work well in the majority of conditions including overcast/low-ish light. I've got another pair with Yellow lenses (same Nova II frame) for white outs that go in the back pack . . .you can buy both these for less than your average pair of Oakleys . .

I agree.

The Modulator Light Control (as opposed to the standard Modulator), is a very high quality Trivex NXT lens, which is lighter, stronger and has superior optical quality to standard Polycarbonate lenses. They are partly Polarized (enough to cut glare while allowing ice to be distinguished) and are Cat 1-3 (VLT 15 to 45).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy