Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Charging' all rounder to replace Line Prophet 90's?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Can't find much info but looks like the old difference for '17 is the colours?

I think they have only changed the topsheet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got a pair of 14/15 Bonafides (the one before they put some carbon in) and they're superb off the sides, in crud and soft bumps. Big, hard bumps is harder work, as is hardpack if you're turning a lot but they're great for charging down a motorway. They go well in deep stuff but you need to concentrate, they don't float too readily and can be a bit hooky but they're surprisingly manageable for such a stiff, heavy ski. For me, they're really at home in chopped-up crud in and around the pistes though. Maybe the addition of carbon has made them lighter - might suit you even better?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Seconded on the advantages of twin tips.

ah they make me a bit grumpy
1. tails get in the way a bit when skating
2. cant stick them in the snow easily which can be a real pain when you stop to mess about with skins on steep ground
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

ah they make me a bit grumpy
2. cant stick them in the snow easily which can be a real pain when you stop to mess about with skins on steep ground

Same these days. Tail rocker gives almost all (more in some cases) of the benefits with none of the down sides.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, my fat skis have 30% rocker both ends and they are fine to stick in the snow. My old Nordica's with a very upturned tail were a pain sometimes to jam in but I usually managed it. OK for power but crud is pretty resistant.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The biggest downside of my twins was gondola racks.

Have Bonafides got enough tail rocker for the odd bit of mostly piste switch?

Also - where to buy? Online before Xmas to make sure they don't sell out of my size?
Or risk it and try and sort in resort mid Feb in Cham with shocking £/EU exchange rate?!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster wrote:
Quote:

ah they make me a bit grumpy.

I'd say that those are fairly minor disadvantages. I'd always opt for a twin. Obviously skiing backwards is inherently rad, but really it just makes the ski more versatile whether you're negotiating a rocky entrance to a couloir, abseiling with skis on or teaching your kid to ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Obviously skiing backwards is inherently rad, but really it just makes the ski more versatile whether you're negotiating a rocky entrance to a couloir, abseiling with skis on or teaching your kid to ski.

Very Happy rad is important natch

But you can ski backwards without twin tips you know. My backwards skiing isn't much less bad on twin tips Very Happy Can't say I've ever wished I had twins on in a couloir but I guess in deep heavy snow they might help a bit when you want to slide backwards - not really an issue in light or firm conditions with flat tails.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This thread's not quite dead yet Wink

Chamonix and Val Thorens booked. Cham, I'll spend some time with intermedites and a day or two with a guide, VT, I'll be doing super G turns down Mont Valon and hoping into the 5th Couloir above Courcheval as well as skiing with my 4 year old boy if he has anything left after ski school! So everything really - and decided I definitely want one ski. If we have >30cm, I'll hire something fat.

I think I prefer the more playful sound of the Camox, sound a bit more versatile and poppy from what I can read.
Pretty certain I can handle the 186, at 183 tall/80kg, prefer going fast as I can but like chutes and bumps too and my 179 Lines feel on the shorter side. Wonder if that's just me harking back to the 'macho' days of the 90's when longer was better?

Anyone used Ekosport? Some good discounts at the moment!

Now need to pick a binding.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think I am about to acquire a pair of Bonafides...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gravity-slave wrote:
Wonder if that's just me harking back to the 'macho' days of the 90's when longer was better?

Longer is still better wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Line Supernatural, natural successor to the Prophet. I've got the 100mm width, great ski that does it all
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thought so Clarky Wink

Anything less than my 205cm Blizzard Thermo SL feels turny. Had a funny season on Zermatt and Cham one year. Lines were long and fat in Zermatt lift queues, narrow and short in Cham!

Line's sizing chart is hilarious - stops at 73kg/6 foot and 180cm...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+ 1 on hookiness of shorter radius planks. The Wailer 99, for instance, which is my go-to ski, can be very very turny so I think you're right to steer clear.

I've not tried them but have heard good things about the Faction Ten5 if you want something quite stiff.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Trigger is about to be pulled, 186cm Black Crows Camox with a nice 25% off.

Moving the dilemma to bindings - they do a package deal including the SPX12.
I ski my Salomons at 9-10 DIN so on paper these are adequate, but I prefer the heel safety and capacity of the Pivot 14,
This would mean flat skis, another supplier and getting the bindings mounted somewhere else and a cost of about £100.
I want to watch the cash, but anticipate having these skis for another 10 years so prepared to spend to get the right setup I want.
Opinions?
ski holidays
@gravity-slave, Griffon 13 ID or Salomon Warden so you can ski them in either an alpine, WTR or AT boot.
snow report
How are the Griffon for clicking in?
I'm only planning to ski alpine boots so not too worried about sole compatibility.
latest report
gravity-slave wrote:
.......I'm only planning to ski alpine boots so not too worried about sole compatibility.
You say that now but better to future proof yourself especially as they cost less than a Pivot. Other problem with a Pivot is the boogerall boot length adjustment so if you change boots you could be in trouble. It was you that said you were buying for the next 10 years.

Griffons run a lot of forward pressure so need a clean boot and a good stomp, especially if you combine a high din with a short bsl. Lots of elasticiy though.
snow conditions
Good points. New boots last year, will hopefully last me a long time too, but never say never...

I've got Markers, Tyrollia, Salomon and Look in the old pile. Old Look turntables had the same tiny adjustment. I exploded a Marker MRR toe piece, Tyrollia were OK but always liked the Salomons. Looking at Warden, these look very good, 13 DIN, clashing bright orange on the Camox and £75 'spare' over the Pivots to put towards a guide.
http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/warden-mnc-13-1.html
Job done?
snow report
Can't go wrong with Wardens.

And clashing is the new matching Cool
snow report
You should see the rest of my kit.... Wink (Actually, it's hard to miss...)
ski holidays
Nordica SG-R? Certainly charging. Powder ability down to skier's skills...
ski holidays
Do they come in a 205?

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@gravity-slave, all the way up to 215 so You should be fine
ski holidays
^ I also have Wardens and am v happy with them, FWIW
ski holidays
Ah, the package is white not orange bindings. Considering the skis have red on them, I have yellow boots and orange pants, probably for the best.
ski holidays
BOOM! Ordered. Thanks to everyone for all the input.
I went longer for off piste bias and will keep the smaller Line's for super hardpack/icy/rocky days and playing in the UK and dome.
Then I'll daydream about owning a 110+ powder planks (and getting a chance to use them!)
snow conditions
@gravity-slave,

Excellent all round package for you I reckon. As I said earlier I think we are smililar skiers and for a one ski quiver I'd go for something very like that.

Have fun.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers

They've arrived and look stunning! They look red on the website/my screen, in reality the chevrons are a much more orange shade, almost an exact match to my ski pants so no clashing currently.
The length seems great. 185cm on a straight pull tape, tip to tip.
I went for recommended mount point - the mark line is quite a bit further forward than the Lines, so most of the length is in the tails. 2cm in the tips, 5cm in the tail. This is offset visually by the snub nose of the Wardens, compared to my 914's.
Hand flexing, they are a lot softer but very springy so hopefully very poppy and playful.

I'm planning on taking both the Camox and the Prohpets to Cham in case I've made a dreadful mistake but fingers crossed!
latest report
As this thread was x linked quick bump to add to my earlier thoughts on Whitedot R series tail. I did a couple of days on the 186 R98 and found that tail easy to slide when desired or able to get the gas down when required. Very versatile ski with enough of a trad heritage to please ex racers I'd say.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I'm no off piste skier but was going to give the Rangers a go at the EOSB until someone said that you had to work them a bit. Normally wouldn't have worried me but didn't have enough confidence in my knee to give them a go.
snow conditions
@gravity-slave,
So What was the verdict in the end? Were you happy with you purchase? Cool skiing in the video, it's tough some times when there's a place in your heart willing you and wishing you to go off and do your thing but the family have to come 1st
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
@gravity-slave,
So What was the verdict in the end? Were you happy with you purchase? Cool skiing in the video, it's tough some times when there's a place in your heart willing you and wishing you to go off and do your thing but the family have to come 1st

see review here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131902#3058885&sid=98140b5e455c87128ef3d4d336bae585
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy