Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski resort with long blue runs near Geneve?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys, I've never had skiing in Europe before and I'm usually go to Catedral or Cerro Castor in Argentina, but this january I want to spend a week in the Alpes skiing. I like long blue and easy runs with nice view. So, my question is: where to go from Geneve? I've been think in Zermatt, Saas-fee, Chamonix, but I don't know too much about these places or any other in the Alps. I've got the plane tickets yet and I'll be arrive on the third week of january. Hope you can help me saing where, why I should go! Thank you already and sorry for my poor english!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and Les acrs?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For easy access from Geneva, big area with plenty of blue runs, Morzine would be worth considering. And welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Plagne (linked to Les Arcs) has a reputation for long blue / red intermediate runs and not too much steep stuff (though it is there if you look). It is also pretty snow-sure.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You are fast to aswer! Thanks! There are so many ski area around geneve, so it make the choice dificult! Diferent from south american with about 15 ski areas in the hole continent.. I will look for these areas wich weren't in my radar
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine which is part of the Portes du Soleil area, is probably a maximum of one and a half hours from Geneva. But if you did not mind a 3 hour transfer then it opens up a lot of options including La Plagne / Les Arcs, Three Valleys, Tignes - all "major" resorts with plenty of blues and nice reds. Third week of January should be good for snow wherever you go.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine might be a good choice....less than 1 hour away.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Danielald, welcome to Very Happy . Another good ski area with long blue runs, great views, near to Geneve is Evasion Mont Blanc. Towns and villages giving access to the area include Megeve, Combloux and St Gervais.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, Welcome to snowHeads @Danielald snowHead

Personally, I think the cruisy blues and scenery in the Italian Dolomites can't be beaten but... they're not convenient for Geneva.

Chamonix is not really known for it's cruisy piste skiing. It's a large mountain town with a long established history of mountaineering, ski mountaineering and off-piste skiing. We dropped in at the end of last season and everyone had phat skis, absolutely everyone, even those who would hardly dare step off the piste. In fact there were so many phat skis, we took out our Slalom skis just to be rebellious-like Wink

Zermatt is a beautiful town, certainly worth a visit but very expensive to stay in so if cost is any issue, perhaps stay in Cervinia, in Italy which is connected to Zermatt. It's nice to be able to ski between countries like that snowHead

In France, as a piste skier, the 3Valleys should always be considered. I like to stay high up in Val Thorens when we go at the end of the season but in Jan I'd probably stay in Courchevel or Meribel as there are lots of trees which improve visibility if it's snowing. (There are no trees in VT)
In 3V there are about 600km of connected pistes.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 24-10-16 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I dont mind to take 3 or 4 hours (preference by train), but not more than this... Considering Les Arcs, Three Valleys and Tignes, witch one is easiest to get and I'll not get borred in a week?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You wont get bored in any of those areas in a week!! Not unless you ski at 100kmh all day.
I've skied all of those and personally, if I'd never been to any of them, I'd have to say 3V would be my first choice.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And do you know how can I get there from geneve?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are lots of transfer companies serve the route, especially on Saturdays and Sundays.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not Zermatt Too far from Geneva and not a cruisy blue resort.

Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets are all on the Portes de Soleil with good cruisy blues. Closest major resort to Geneva.

La Plagne lots of long blues but a longer transfer 2.5 to 4 hrs.

Tignes / Val d'Isere plenty of blues but an ever longer transfer.

Best resort in Europe for cruisy blues is anywhere on the Sella Ronde in the Italian Dolomites. Great scenery but too far from Geneva unless you take a short flight followed by a fairly long transfer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
la Clusaz has plenty going on, and its a very nice on the eye if you're new to the region, an hours transfer from Geneva airport by ski bus.
latest report
Danielald wrote:
And do you know how can I get there from geneve?

You can use Ben's bus to Paradiski/Espace Killy/3V
snow report
@Danielald, Bienvenidos a Snowheads
If you want value for money I would travel though to Italy, but it may be best to wait and see where the snow falls.
Switzerland is very expensive and France is not far behind.
ski holidays
Let's throw Austria in to the mix.

You could fly to Munich or Zurich or innsbruck and hit the resorts there. Not sure about long cruisey blues having only skied in st. Anton, ischgl and zillertal valley, which are probably not regarded for long cruisey blues but I'll bet there are such places 😊
snow report
Have a browse through this brochure. It'll give you lots of ideas:

http://pro.savoie-mont-blanc.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/original/application/07853faa0f417f2f2c76be97fb409a94.pdf
latest report
Austria is not a choice hehe.. I'm getting to confused about where to choose
snow conditions
Pynch wrote:
La Plagne (linked to Les Arcs) has a reputation for long blue / red intermediate runs and not too much steep stuff (though it is there if you look). It is also pretty snow-sure.

It is "near Geneva" in the same way that Birmingham is "near London".
ski holidays
@Danielald,

Are you talking European Blue or US Blue (which I believe to be more like an easy Red in Europe)?

Based on travel to Geneva I'd say:

Best view maybe Thollon les Mémises.
Convenience from Geneva (distance+transport) probably Portes du Soleil or Grand Massif.
Smaller/cheaper location perhaps Hirmentaz/Les Habères.
Other alternatives not mentioned above would include Villars/Leysin (reachable by train) and Espace Diamant.

But as with anything it really depends what is most important for you...
latest report
@Danielald, pity Toofy Grin but France is Fun Laughing
snow conditions
@davidof, True - but in his next post he asked about Les Arcs... (so I figured he was game for 3 hrs in a car).
snow report
I'm talking about Euro Blue, easy runs, because I ski for about 4..5 days an year... I'm not able to do red runs...
latest report
And a place easy to get with public transportation, I don't want to hire a car since I crashed the last I hired
snow report
So, doing a recap, what's important?
-Close to Geneve
-Easy to Get
-Long blue (euro) runs
-Price
-Not borring

Where?
-Zermatt (expensive, but easy to get by train)
-Chamonix (not a lot of blue?)
-Megeve
-Morzine (it's looking to be the best choice for me?)
-3 Valley (far, so far)
-Evasion Mont Blanc
And now: Villars/Leysin
latest report
Morzine - book a bed at the Rude Lodge which offers dorm accommodation and makes it easier to find people to ski with. Loads of transfer companies priced between 50-80€ for a return ticket to Geneva.
Good ones include Skiidy Gonzales, Powder Cabs and Getaway Vans. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Morzine - book a bed at the Rude Lodge which offers dorm accommodation and makes it easier to find people to ski with. Loads of transfer companies priced between 50-80€ for a return ticket to Geneva.
Good ones include Skiidy Gonzales, Powder Cabs and Getaway Vans. snowHead

Finally, someone speaks sense and sorts out the OP Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Nadenoodlee wrote:
Good ones include Skiidy Gonzales, Powder Cabs and Getaway Vans.

Finally, someone speaks sense and sorts out the OP

that's what I need and what I'm going to do!

Last question, how is the snow in 12th-19th january?
latest report
@Danielald, sorry but that last question does not have an answer.
a) There is no snow then.
b) There is too much snow then.
c) Anything in between a & b.
snow report
Quote:

@Danielald, sorry but that last question does not have an answer.
a) There is no snow then.
b) There is too much snow then.
c) Anything in between a & b.

haha Evil or Very Mad you almost made me a heart atack with the A Laughing
snow report
@Danielald,
A) highly unlikely 3rd week Jan.
B) there is no such thing!
C) probably.
snow conditions
Rude Lodge seems terrible value 3rd week of January - far better accommodation options available at that time.
ski holidays
Pynch wrote:
@davidof, True - but in his next post he asked about Les Arcs... (so I figured he was game for 3 hrs in a car).

true, maybe send him a map of France first Happy

Personally "near to" Geneva would be something up the Arve valley as far as St Gervais or somewhere in the Jura, it wouldn't be an epic schlepp to Zermatt on Swiss Rail.

For that would include: Megeve/St Gervais, Morzine (as mentioned above), Combloux, Flaine network, Praz-de-Lys and the other small resorts in the sector, Grand-Bo, les Rousses on the Jura side if he likes skiing on ice.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 25-10-16 8:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Danielald wrote:
I dont mind to take 3 or 4 hours (preference by train), but not more than this... Considering Les Arcs, Three Valleys and Tignes, witch one is easiest to get and I'll not get borred in a week?

You won't get bored in any of those places, all offer fabulous skiing and plenty of variety in piste from cruisy blue\reds to more challenging terrain.
latest report
Les Arcs would look pretty close to Geneva on a map of France. The OP choice of Morzine sounds sensible though.
latest report
I'd say Flaine plenty of motorway blue runs and an hour or so from geneva, plus you've got the rest of the Grand Massif.
snow report
francium. wrote:
I'd say Flaine plenty of motorway blue runs and an hour or so from geneva, plus you've got the rest of the Grand Massif.

I also said Flaine, but it didn't seem to get much love.....underrated resort, good snow record, but not a lot of night life if that is important.
ski holidays
RichClark wrote:
Danielald wrote:

You won't get bored in any of those places, all offer fabulous skiing and plenty of variety in piste from cruisy blue\reds to more challenging terrain.

I would stay in samoens if you want a bit more nightlife the link over to Flaine rarely closes and samoens has some nice restaurants and bars.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy