Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste weekend suggestion

Poster: A snowHead
My friend and I are planning an offpiste weekend. We're thinking either late January or middle to end of March. We've already done a weekend in Verbier late in the season so the snow wasn't great (but still a good weekend) and plenty of skiing in Chamonix. We've also got a week's family holiday in Tignes for February half term booked. Any suggestions, a bit of Apres would also be good. Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to Engelberg for a last minute off piste weekend this year, very easy access from the UK if you fly to Zurich and get the train.

Off piste was fantastic, Skier's Lodge next to the station was good, well located and quite cheap. Not sure about Apres as the resort was very quiet when I was out there during the last weekend in April! Most of the ski lifts had closed by that time, i'm sure it's more lively during the proper winter season though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First rule of Engelberg, don't talk about Engelberg
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fattes13, too true.
@musehead, April it would be quietening down - there's still activity at the bar by the lift station,(Chalet has a live band, as does Ski Lodge in town) in March...
Check out Engelberg Guides for offpiste excitement.
Skier's lodge is good for dinner, there are cheaper options for B&B in town (and nearer the lifts).
unless we get an early dump, I'd go for mid-end march... tho do prepare to be surrounded by coach loads of Indians on their week long European tour.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are open to try something new, you should go to Bansko in Bulgaria.
Best month there is March, so good for your second week.
It's cheap and you have a lot of powder Cool
If you want to discover the area with a local guide, get in touch with Nikolay, cool guy !!
You'll find his details here https://www.explore-share.com/trip/bansko-guide-freeride-ski-snowboard/
Have fun !!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonesj,

For a weekend, if you haven't been to Engleberg then that is a great option for easy access, off piste and apres.

If you relax the apres constraint a bit then Alagna would be a good idea.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alagna for a weekend? If you live in Turin or Milan and have a car yes. A hell of a treck with limited public transport if you are coming from UK.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Alagna for a weekend? If you live in Turin or Milan and have a car yes. A hell of a treck with limited public transport if you are coming from UK.

Well, I've done it twice for 3 day weekends :fly London to Malpensa then it's about 2 hours in a hire car. What's the problem?
For a weekend hire cars almost always work out better than public transport IME - the ratio of driving time to parked time is higher than for a week.
I've been to more awkward places than Alagna for a weekend (Sud Tyrol, Jungfrau).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Thorney,
Ah - you are in Bristol. Weekends are much easier if you are London based because we have loads of flight options with minimal UK travel.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hell of treck?
Not sure if it's anything to boast about but myself and a couple of dedicated snow enthusiasts and have left work in the evening, driven all night on the say so of Engleberg local to hit an epic mid week three day pow fest then driven home ripped raw . But you are right you better stay on those burly mountains around brissal.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have a look at Kooky's thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=126369

Near Salzburg, you have places like the Lisa Alm and Dampfkessel
http://youtube.com/v/HZLZv-8Xgs0 in Flachau and best of all... you have me to show you the forest off piste lines Laughing

There is some good off piste at Krippenstein which needs guides but around Zauchensee and Schladming / Planai there are plenty of forest runs, nothing major or too difficult so if you are after Val D or Cham style off piste then probably not your best bet. More like gentle lift served or 30 min skinning access. But I've had knee deep right up into April before.

Don't want to hijack the thread so will keep some pics from the previous few years small.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think I've been sold on Engleberg. I've read that it can be quite a walk to the lifts so if anyone can recommend a decent hotel and also any guides that would be great.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonesj, just be aware that due to its easy accessibility within Switzerland, Engelberg can get very busy on weekends, particularly if the weather and snow are good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonesj, I live and work in Engelberg with one of the ski Schools, so if you need anything give me a shout. I do have connections to some of the below and no connection to others, but only recommend them because they are good. Some weekends it is busier than others, but with the new lifts and the vast expanse of space, it is always quiet if you know where to ski!

For accomidation, Daire at SnoConnells, does excellent rates and service,

https://www.facebook.com/snoconnells/

Other options, would be the Hotel Engelberg, Belmont and Angels Lodge all do good prices also.

For mountain guides, the best ones all work for the guide office! If you can get Dani,Tobias or Thomas! Lucky you, but they are all really good.

http://www.engelbergmountainguide.ch/en/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Fattes13, cheers for this. Really helpful. I'll check out the information and get back to you. I think we're aiming to fly out on 25th or 26th Jan. I presume the snow should be ok by then?
ski holidays
@Jonesj, I second the recommendation for Snoconnells. Great place to stay.
snow conditions
@Jonesj,

BTW definitely get a guide for at least one day. Glaciers and some intricate route finding - good to have someone show you around
snow conditions
Engelberg booked for the last weekend in January. Thanks everyone for some great advice. Now we just need plenty of snow?
ski holidays
@Jonesj, If you need anything just drop me a message. Current conditions are hard packed and piste, I am sure by the last weekend in January you should be fine, there will be plenty of terrain open and accessible.

Its a quiet weekend too. Hopefully we can have a coffee together when you are her.e
latest report
@Fattes13, thanks, will do. I've booked with Snoconnells who have been great and also given me advice on where to hire skis and who to book for lessons/guiding. Also, happy to meet up for a coffee or a beer at some time. All we need now is plenty of snow!
snow report
@Super Steezy plenty of lines within 1.5 hrs of Brizzle (Brissal's got too much of a Devon twang to it Wink ), just ask Mike Pow snowHead

Finest alpine connection on earth from my house: 20 mins drive then don't need to walk for more than 5 mins in any one go and I'm in Champery or Villars Very Happy

Engelberg is rubbish; I wouldn't bother...
snow conditions
La Grave.....
ski holidays
Glencoe. If you can plan late. I caught an excellent couple of days last season after a storm. Day one was OP over the whole mountain, day two was pisted but there were still many lines to be had for moderate skinning effort. McGrave snowHead
ski holidays
@mcspreader, seconded. Been once; planned late and epic conditions snowHead
ski holidays
I like Glencoe too. I just need to learn it a bit more.

I think we should sort out a sneaky trip to kooky's place
ski holidays
@Jonesj, Considering myself and the snoconnells owner regularly drink together I am sure I will see you
latest report
@Fattes13, hi, we're coming out on Thursday. I've read that the snow is ok but no new expected snowfall before then. How are the conditions at the moment and will the off piste still be ok? We should be around for a drink on Friday or Saturday if you want to meet up.
snow conditions
Epic conditions down in the Pyrenees at the moment. Check out the snow reports thread. Cheap flight to Lourdes with Ryan air then 45 mins to the snow at Grand Tourmalet. Pic du Midi de Bigorre gondola takes you up to 2877m then its a vertical mile back down all off piste...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@in garbure we trust, sounds great, except that we're flying to Zurich on Thursday. But it will be great. It will be!
ski holidays
Snow conditions in Engelberg were quite good this weekend, due to the low temperature, but most of the Off-piste is tracked. If you don't mind skinning up, there is still powder available.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy