Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Let's start. It's got to be time to start talking about this winter, as it is only 103 days until my feet set foot on Les Gets snow. What I really need is someone to tell me that the forecast for Portes du Soleil for Christmas and New Year is a guaranteed puking down of snow. In the real world, if anyone living out in the PdS has heard anything from the local weather sages about the expected winter, to would be great to hear it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doing a season there this winter so i will be trying to keep people updated. I know i appreciated peoples 'on the ground' reports when i was due to holiday there earlier in the year!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Wrekingirl, except any forecast out more than a few days is meaning and worthless...

Nothing that anyone says, nor any weather or snow (although a 5m dump at 500 masl) might be a leading indicator) that happens between now and the fortnight before Xmas week will give any idea of what you might experience.

Chill and enjoy a hopefully Indian summer and Autumn's colour palette.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, +1. Although the lovely autumn leaves are sometimes responsible for me falling off my bike (or is it my crap riding skills?)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I didn't notice it last year, but looks like you can now get the resident/owner's PDS season pass online for €738:

http://www.skipass-chatel.com/en/forfait-ski/1-saison-pds-saison-fr-1062-1/?peoplenumber=1&ages%5B1%5D=38&pricecategory=&bookingId=

There is also the 30% discount on the Chatel area season pass (reduces to €398) until the end of the month.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
oops - wrong thread, sorry
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been reading thru the European 'snowiest resorts' articles on www.weathertoski.co.uk
I didn't go back further than 2010, but it shows that Avoriaz has been doing relatively well:

Snowiest resort in France / Snowiest resort in Alps
2010/11 Isola 2000 (6m) / Limone Piemonte (9.7m)
2011/12 Avoriaz (8.6m) / Obertauren (12.2m)
2012/13 Avoriaz (11.8m) / Avoriaz (11.8m)
2013/14 Isola 2000 (10m) / Passo Tonale (11.6m)
2014/15 Avoriaz (6.1m) / Warth Schrocken (8.25)
2015/16 Avoriaz (7.9m) / Warth Schrocken (8.8m)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@langball, I couldn't see data other than in the text there, as I would have thought the Grands Montets would have got more snow than Avoriaz?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
his stats only refer to resort level, as opposed to highest ski area
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lift pass purchased for January! Heading back to the PDS (Avoriaz) for 10 days with the new addition to the family; the little sprog will of just turned 1 when we go skiing. Unbelievably excited. Happy Fingers crossed for an epic season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@langball, ah. OK, well that makes more sense but is rather less helpful!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Tordi
snowHead

Lift pass purchased for January! Heading back to the PDS (Avoriaz) for 10 days with the new addition to the family; the little sprog will of just turned 1 when we go skiing. Unbelievably excited. Happy Fingers crossed for an epic season.

Lift pass already..... you are excited. I usually buy mine in the morning before I get on the lift.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="mheadbee"]
Quote:
I usually buy mine in the morning before I get on the lift.
Ditto, look out of window, assess weather, decide the days location. Bright sunny day, PDS pass, high winds , stick to Chatel, low cloud, local tree lined resort, rain, go shopping in Thonon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well, to avail yourself of a decent discount it can be worth buying your pass in advance. i couldn't help myself, and bought the resident's PDS pass already... although I don't think there's a time limit on the discount. Too excited as well! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@MorganW, is there a discount on a PDS season pass for early purchase, if a resident? I always study the small print and the discount is usually just for passes other than season passes.

We will be getting our PDS season passes for €664, 922 full, then 10% for seniors and 20% for residents.

The LGS/Morzine season pass does offer a discount for early purchase, but then no more for residents or being old.
ski holidays
@Pamski, nope, no early season discount on the PDS season pass thus no real reason to buy in advance... unless you're a bit potty like me!
latest report
@MorganW, @BergenBergen, @mheadbee, me too, I usually just head to the lift station and get a pass when I get to resort. But the PdS pass was 15% off if you purchased an area pass of 5 or more days before the end of september. You've got 3 hrs to save yourself some pennies! Happy

http://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/GB_offres-pds.html
snow conditions
Well it's properly autumnal today. Getting ready for winter I'm sure.

On that note, I've got two two bedroom apartments available for the season in Les Gets. One expensive, fully renovated next to the piste and close to the centre. The other not so expensive, but about 10 minutes flat walk and beside a bus stop. Both with parking, full kitchens, washing machines, wifi etc. Just incase anyone wants to buy a cheap season pass and have an excuse to use it regularly.
ski holidays
Out of interest , does anybody know if i can buy portes du soleil lift passes for just 4 days. When you try and book through the main website it only allows you to book for 5 days or more ? am i missing something?

Cheers

Matt
ski holidays
@dye, my OH thinks you might need to go to the special offers bit of the website. Or maybe one of those that you can only do in person not online.
latest report
Pamski wrote:
@dye, my OH thinks you might need to go to the special offers bit of the website. Or maybe one of those that you can only do in person not online.

I will give it a try! Thanks
snow report
You can view the prices for a 4 day pass here http://info.chatel.com/the-lift-passes-prices.html , but still cant find anywhere you can purchase them.
latest report
I think they are only selling the 5+ day ones currently as that's their early bird offer.

They definitely do shorter passes, going right down to just a few hours access, will most likely become available in the next few weeks, but it's the same price to just buy them in the village, and they definitely won't get lost in the post (like mine did a few years ago!)
latest report
Sure sign winter is on its way. Ice rink in Les Gets is operating.
latest report
Supposed to be snowing in Les Gets for the next 10 days or so. Currently very gloomy and bucketing down with rain so we'll see I guess.
snow conditions
Snow on the webcams this morning @MeMyselfandI is it really that good on the ground?
ski holidays
@Wrekingirl,
Live webcam stream on YouTube from Les Gets

http://youtube.com/v/ZFJPNbQE8mE
latest report
I see the date for Avoriaz is 9th Dec does that mean it will be open on the Friday (snow permitting)? Is it absolutely mobbed? I am about to book a cheeky 3 day ski but can only fly into Geneva. Avoriaz is obviously perfectly placed but snow permitting may have to travel further say LDA.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RetroBod, It won't be mobbed.

The pre-crimbo period is super quiet usually and if conditions are good (and they're due a decent year after a couple of awful ones) then it's a lovely time to ski
ski holidays
What does a 'cheeky 3 day' mean?
snow report
I'm not at liberty to get away for a week so a cheeky 3 day trip it must be!
ski holidays
Mob levels probably depend on snow coverage. The year I went for the early Avoriaz week (before the rest of the PDS opens) the day they had the ski and snowboard test it was ridiculous. If the links to Chatel are open I strongly recommend getting the lift pass for Chatel + Avoriaz as it seemed like fewer people made the same decision.
snow report
Relentless snow all week. Must be over 50cm in town.
Nice sunset over Taninges on Monday evening. Then I had to dig the car out yesterday, at 1200m.
Snowline is rising though, was raining in Morzine (200m lower) this morning.
Gonna have to get the board out and hike up this weekend.

latest report
Lovely pictures @Langball

I've just seen a piste basher out on the webcams, and I could swear when I looked on the webcams yesterday that Ambresalles had been bashed.

My husband suggested they were just "practicing", it is too much to hope that they were genuinely bashing because this snow aint gonna melt before Christmas?
ski holidays
A mate of mine heard rumblings (no idea of source) that they would open the lifts this weekend, but it's not on LG website so probably just wild hope.
The forecast for next 10 days doesn't look too warm or wet, so they may well be taking a chance on getting a base down. I remain skeptical, but am going up either way even if my dog has to drag me.
snow conditions
@langball, great pictures, cannot wait to hopefully have the same view in 6 weeks time ! Keeping everything crossed for a white xmas ☃
ski holidays
yep, would be great....

just heard lifts definitely not open before Dec 17, bad news for the dog
snow report
@langball, that looks lovely Very Happy We are in Les Gets for a week mid-January and it would be nice to think that this is the start of a great season - let's hope for the temperatures to stay low and a good base
snow conditions
@montana after the last 2 years and tbh the year before that, we are certainly overdue for a good early start to the season.

@langball i guess the lift company can't afford to open early and put the first big holiday weeks at risk. But keep the snowy pictures coming. As the webcams on Chavannes and Mont Chery seem to be experiencing technical issues, anything you and the dog can add to the sum of snow condition knowledge is invaluable![
snow conditions
The Times is reporting 160cm snow dumped in PDS over the last week. Is there truth to that?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy