Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

volkl v works 2017 or coundown 107's 2016 ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi

looking for some feedback on 2 skis I'm looking at for this season

volkl v werks 184cm and the countodown 107 183cm

got the price sorted on both with marker f12 bindings

i own and ski the soul 7 180cm but want a ski that charges a bit more but still allows me to do some touring

i like to be in control and link pow turns and also open up into more long radius turns at speed , also want the ski to be able to make tight turns when on steeps , smear turns are a must

as both skis are expensive it would be great to get feedback from anyone who owns either of the 2 skis or has tried them

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't tried either unfortunately, but just purchased a pair of Whitedot Rangers 177s (186s available) with the F12 Bindings from Spyderjon.
Couldn't really say no at the price, and definitely something worth considering if you want a ski that can do a bit of everything.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127182

Still i'm sure some more knowledgeable snowheads will come along with reviews on the two you have questioned about.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi sounds like a great package

Hope they work well for you this season
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@evehayes, try looking on the TGR forums and on exoticskis.com. I seem to recall exotic skis reviewing the CD107 and some people on TGR buying and liking them.

clarky999 on this forum is sponsored by/reps Down (cannot remember which) so he might be able to help you also.

That said, there are probably more people on this forum skiing the Whitedot Ranger/R.108 as a lighter weight but still quite chargey touring ski than anything else. Hence the response above.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No experience on either, but I do have a pair of brand new/unmounted countdown 102s which might also fit your requirements which are going cheap...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi

What's the length and model year

Thanks Gary
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is the Countdown 102 (not the 102L) Bought in Feb 2015 model which I believe was the latest model ignoring any topsheet changes.
It is called a 179 length but Down measures long (after pressing?) so they measure the same as my 182 GPOs

Can send photos if you PM your email address. Based in Bristol if you are anywhere close.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks I will have a think
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey @evehayes,

As mentioned I'm an 'ambassador' for Down, so take this with as big a pinch of salt as you want!

I have a pair of CD107s with kingpins for touring, and skied quite a lot on the new Soul 7 HD at the ski test in Kühtai last season.

The CD107 is definitely a bit stiffer and chargier than the Soul7, but I wouldn't really call it a charger tbh (in fairness my other skis are the 189 CD114 metal and 194 CD1..!). It's pretty firm in the mid and tail, but the tip is softer.

I like them a lot as a do everything touring ski. They float well enough in powder for a mid-fat ski (the tip helps), rail really nice on hard snow, and are super nimble when you want to slash and flick them around (tail releases easily). They do pretty well in cut up crud and mank (better than the Soul7) and handled minging wind-blasted sastrugi on Elbrus as well as you could hope for (but nothing would really ski that well!). The rocker profile is great and lets you surf and slash around but as enough effective edge to grip really well when the going gets firm.

I find them best at small to mid size turns. You can arc out fast bigger turns, but if you really push them in denser snow - and get over the front - the tip will flex and pull you into a tighter turn slingshotting you across the fall line. Which is fun, but not always what you want (again in fairness, that's compared to the 190 SD115 with a 41m radius and much stiffer!!). If you stay more neutral rather than driving the tips that's not an issue though, and never a problem on less deep snow.

All in all they're very capable all over the mountain and I have full confidence when taking them into steeper more technical terrain, but I wouldn't personally put them in the charger category. More so than the Soul7 for sure, but for me they're more a super versatile allrounder with a playful edge. Definitely a bit more 'serious' than the Soul7, and a perfect touring ski whatever the snow/terrain IMHO.

I haven't skied the Völkl.

The new CD104 (http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-104-187-2016 ) is stiffer and more chargey too (available in 181 and 187). I understand Down will be offering up some cheap factory blems in the near future, but I don't know what models/prices. They're very responsive if you email though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ps I think @BenA is referring to this one: http://www.downskis.com/14-15-skis/countdown-102
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^Yep - that's the one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Clarky999

Great feedback

I suppose my only concern now is would the 107 be a big enough advance from the soul 7 or will I just notice subtle differences

I know the Volkl will be a big step which is why I'm a bit nervous about that ski

Where did you mount the bindings on your 107s I like to ski both pushing the tips and central hence why the soul 7 recommended mount suits my skiing as its not set that far back

This is Another worry with the Volkl as the recommended mount is nearer the tail

Not sure about wherethe 107 sits on recommended mount ?

Cheers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@evehayes, I'd say it's a small step up from the Soul 7 HD, which is apparently a small step up from the Soul 7, but I've never tried the OG Soul7... The Völkl will likely be a bigger jump - only you can say how much you want to step it up!

Mounting info here: http://www.downskis.com/14-15-skis/countdown-107

I *think* mine are mounted at recommended, but actually feels more central than -10... Actually I've been thinking about moving my bindings back a bit. I will check later for you when I have time to go down to the basement wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@evehayes Gary - stop fecking around and buy the Volkl V Werk Katanas. They are a lot softer than my 191 metal Kats which are actually quite easy going. You will be fine on them - go for it wink

The CD114 in 182 is also a good option and about half the price Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
😂😂😂😂😂
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy