Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zell am See, Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn snow report 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out on 28th, anyone available to offer an update on current snow conditions?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Epic currently, skied down a piested run in 20-30 cm fresh on thursday. Snowing most of today and yesterday in the wider area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Lake has frozen over, won't be thick enough for Ice Skating yet.
postimage
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AthersT, do you know when the lake last froze over? Tourist dept seem very coy and non-committal. Website shows no sign of widespread freezing post 2012? Blue
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@simonmj66, you're probably asking when it last froze over thick enough for walking/ice skating. Nearly every year it freezes over at least for a day. However, it is much rarer that it freezes for long enough and thick enough to walk across or go Ice Skating. I don't know when it was thick enough for this.

Use this - http://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/zellamsee/ to look back at the last few years worth of webcam shots. You can view a shot from every 10 mins for the last 3 years or so.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@simonmj66, I last walked across it in February 2012. It also froze over in Feb 2013 but was never 'opened' as in deemed safe (at your own risk etc) although locals did cross as I have seen several times over the years presuming they are employing a better knowledge of where the ice is thickest?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robboj wrote:
@simonmj66, I last walked across it in February 2012. It also froze over in Feb 2013 but was never 'opened' as in deemed safe (at your own risk etc) although locals did cross as I have seen several times over the years presuming they are employing a better knowledge of where the ice is thickest?

Well, to be fair, you only get to see the ones that haven't fallen through , once they're under the ice they aren't very visible.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@t44tomo, Thats why they stopped racing the Porsches on it, legend has it there's a 911 down there to this day!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excitement. There are photo's on Instagram of people walking on the lake - yesterday. It's not my photo so not posting here (not that I know how!) but It's on Instagram so clearly it must have happened Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heading to Kaprun tomorrow. Doesn't look like we're going to get any pow days but I'm still pretty stoked Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frankEvb wrote:
Excitement. There are photo's on Instagram of people walking on the lake - yesterday. It's not my photo so not posting here (not that I know how!) but It's on Instagram so clearly it must have happened Madeye-Smiley

Yes, but unless they were locals I wouldn't even think about. TBH even then the novelty of walking on frozen water isn't enough to balance out the possibility of falling through it. Shocked

Maybe it was some of Zells ubiquitous middle eastern visitors. IIRC their notion for stupidity in the unfamiliar surroundings of an Alpine winter knows no bounds! rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The glacier is in great condition, was there yesterday. A lot of the ski routes are tracked out now but looked like there was still some pow to be had if you take the ski route by the old glacier shuttle to the top.

Zell is still in good nick to be fair too, very cold conditions this week and last week, good snow making conditions. Got down to -28 here in Niedernsill a couple of weeks ago, averaging -8 the last few days. A lot of sunshine the last couple of days, does get a little icy on popular routes below 1500m in the afternoons.

If you look over at the weather thread there looks to be something significant happening at the end of the month in terms of snow. I've a vague recollection of someone telling me the last time the lake froze over this early in the year was 11 years ago... Shocked snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shredder wrote:

If you look over at the weather thread there looks to be something significant happening at the end of the month in terms of snow. I've a vague recollection of someone telling me the last time the lake froze over this early in the year was 11 years ago... Shocked snowHead

Yes thats right December 2005 was very cold and it continued cold right through till March 2006. That was the last time it was frozen pretty much all winter. Froze early again in December 2007 but then mostly melted by mid January after a vicious and prolonged Föhn and never fully re-froze. I last walked across in Feb 2012 when it froze for about 6 weeks from the end of January.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robboj, No, you'll not get me on there either. Not even for the opportunity to, once and for all, prove that porche 911 theory... I do love me a 'wild skate' though...
Ah I suppose it could well have been a ubiquitous type - they do tend to hang out in The Grand after all, so wouldn't be too much of a stretch... Have been somewhat taken aback by some of their summer time anticks too but - here I stop. Especially given I seem to have a year-round propensity for impetuous myself and so I have absolutely no leg to stand on on that front Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Although I have often driven past the Maiskogel area at Kaprun (actually under it Laughing), yesterday was the first time I have actually skied there. The area is relatively small with two longish chairlifts and one short button lift. This photo shows the Almbahn lift on the right and the Panoramabahn Schaufelberg that comes up from the valley to the left...

The restricted uplift means that there isn't a great deal of variety but I found the pistes there very attractive, great to ski. Here's another view, this time looking up the Schaufelberg piste in the lower part of the area...

I think the area would be great for anyone who can do a reasonable snowplough/stem turn. The lower slopes are not especially steep and the pistes are mostly wide. The upper part of the Maiskogel offers some more challenging slopes. There is a slope specified as black but it is wide enough that it isn't particularly difficult, at least in good snow conditions as at present. And there are alternative pistes down from the top which aren't so steep and suitable for intermediate skiers. These runs and some tracks to huts provide a bit of variety in what you can ski.

Yesterday the weather was superb, though pretty chilly at times, especially in the shade which covered much of the slopes in the afternoon at this time of year. This photo shows the mountains beyond the Maiskogel and there are also great views up to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier area...

At the top of the Schaufelberg lift there is an attractive fun area, with plenty of wild life (models) on view and runs with waves and banking...

And here is the button lift, the Maislift, that runs alongside that section...

Yesterday the area was very quiet, especially in the morning, which surprised me slightly after I had passed an absolutely packed car park at Zell am See's Areitbahn. The Maiskogel has several huts dotted around the area. Here's a final photo looking over to Zell am See and taken with the afternoon shadows from outside the Glocknerblick hut near the top of the area. Here you can see that some have taken a more exciting off-piste route down from the hut - I didn't try that but stuck to the easy track...

To sum up, I would say that the Maiskogel is a good place for intermediate skiers to improve technique, with the possibilty then of moving on to Schmittenhöhe at Zell am See or the Kitzsteinhorn area later in a week.

P.S. Forgot to mention that there is also an interesting "Alpine Coaster" (= sledge on rails), though I didn't see anyone using it during the day yesterday.
ski holidays
@espri, I have skied a few days on the Maiskogel, as my OH is a very nervous learner. I actually quite enjoy it. Great for learning and improving techniques on the top half of the mountain, though alot of the time it is incredibly cold in the shade. We like to meet in the Maisi-Alm after she finishes her lessons in the morning.

I hear there will be a connection built from the top of the Maiskogel to the Kitzsteinhorn since they took the old Maiskogelbahn out of commission from the road up to the Kitz. It would no doubt increase the number of skiers on the Maiskogel.
snow report
Quick question for local bods: I arrive by train at 8.30pm at ZaS on a Saturday evening, fully loaded with kit and skis. Will it be easy to grab a taxi to Saalbach from the train station? If so, does anyone know how much the fare will be?

Thanks,

DJ
ski holidays
AthersT wrote:
I hear there will be a connection built from the top of the Maiskogel to the Kitzsteinhorn since they took the old Maiskogelbahn out of commission from the road up to the Kitz. It would no doubt increase the number of skiers on the Maiskogel.

Yes, I fear that too, though I haven't heard of any time schedule for that development yet. I enjoyed my first visit. On a map on the wall of the restaurant at the bottom of the Panoramabahn, next to the car park, there seem to be plans for more lifts/pistes in the Maiskogel area itself. I don't know whether these ideas are still current.
snow report
@espri, The Maiskogel is also amazingly snowsure/cold enough for cannons at the start of the season even with it being pretty low 900-1750metres. Due it being in almost permanent shade from November to February, so I imagine that they are trying to take advantage of this.

The Panoramabahn itself needs updating as it is pretty slow and creates alot of queues at peak times.
snow conditions
Saw loads of people walking across the lake yesterday. It was officially announced on their FB page that it's now open for walking and skating
latest report
I'm taking my Misses up to the Maiskogel tomorrow (Wednesday) she is a very nervous skier and I'm getting a bit windy myself.

We took the day off today,
walked along the lake side but it was very misty and cold till we got back. Sad
We saw them local council workers putting Christmas trees across to Thumsback.
Treated ourselves to a Ruby Murray
and then just took the bus up to the gletcher and lifts up to the Gletcher Mulle.

Came back and just woke up.

Beer o'clock.
snow report
@Dr John,
I'll see if I can get you the number of a local Taxi company,
ski holidays
@Dr John, Not sure on cost but there should be Taxi's lined up outside the station so getting one shouldn't be an issue.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
I'm taking my Misses up to the Maiskogel tomorrow (Wednesday) she is a very nervous skier and I'm getting a bit windy myself

It will be great. Especially the lower section, the Schaufelberg, but also the blue piste down from the top if you want something more challenging.
snow conditions
Dr John
As @AthersT, says they will be lined up at the station.
The Hotel boss here says it should cost between €35 & €45 but be sure to ask the taxi driver "how much?" before you set off.
snow report
Thanks @espri we're heading over there now for a late start.
Fabulous weather.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, @AthersT, thanks chaps. Presumed there would be a rank, just confirming for piece of mind (after a 8 1/2 hour journey from Geneva).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @espri She actually enjoyed skiing there today phew!
So I'm going to try and catch the train around to Leogang tomorrow and perhaps get over to Saalbach that way.
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
So I'm going to try and catch the train around to Leogang tomorrow and perhaps get over to Saalbach that way.

Glad you enjoyed the Maiskogel.

The station in Leogang is a bit away from the lifts, just under a km, I estimate. It might be easier to take a bus from Zell to the Schönleiten gondola at Saalbach and ski over to Leogang from there.
latest report
Hi guys, heading out to Zell nice and early tomorrow morning. As a snowboarder who mainly sticks to the pistes, should I be looking forward to the conditions? I have been watching the forecasts for the next week seems there is no new snow coming but nice clear days.
ski holidays
Hi @neilm86

Bright sunny conditions have been here all week.

I've only found a couple of patches that are bare so the coverage is good.

But its getting a bit icy & polished in a few spots on the steep homeward bound pistes.
(As I found to my grief this afternoon ....
first fall of the week on the last run of the week Sad )
snow conditions
@DrLawn,Likewise off early tomorrow and was wondering the same. Suspected that might be the case down the Nord (black 10) especially if theres no fresh maybe they will break it up on top and rebash?
latest report
@Dr John, Taxi from Zell to Saalbach will be €45 - €50.

As you will have missed the last Postbus to Saalbach ( dep 19.30 ) there may be more than just you going to Saalbach, so you may find others to share the taxi with you.
snow conditions
Big Thank you to Zell,

We are home now and just finished Sunday Lunch after a trip down the pub to drink flat crap beer and brag about the skip trip.

I've never been to Zell before and I hope I get a chance to come again.
We were so lucky with blue skies all week and a great snow base.

Ok, it turned a bit icy on the last couple of days on the steep inbound slopes.
But I may have just shrugged it off if I was feeling more in "The Zone".

We were luck enough to stay in the "Two TimeZ" Hotel .. This is really the Annex to the Heitzmann.
Its brand new this season and its just so good, the best ski Hotel room I have ever been in.

Oh Gosh Ski Sunday is on ...
latest report
@quinton, great, thanks. Sharing would be good.
snow report
In Zell this week, consider how little fresh snow there has been lately I have to say the pistes are in pretty decent condition, and the weather is excellent. If I can't have fresh snow, then at least we have sunshine.
ski holidays
I made a little video of my snowboarding holiday in Zell a couple of weeks back. We had to do a little hiking to make fresh tracks but had an awesome time pow hunting.

http://youtube.com/v/Mvdn9U6nRQo

The area of Zell Am See is pretty high up so the conditions are usually pretty good even when there's not been any snow for a while. I was a little concerned before we went out cause my buddies just want to ride pow all day but we did find some even though it hadn't snowed in over a week.
ski holidays
@Cendius, very nice!
latest report
Anyone in the region to give me a quick update? Coming out for a sneaky few days end of next week. Never been to Zeal am See so looking forward to some new surroundings!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy