Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the update @robmq enjoy your last few days
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like there is something on the horizon for next week...got to keep fingers crossed but even 10cm would help...Schwarzsee is starting to look very bare.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm. If things are looking bare with the relatively small crowds on at present then the pistes will get decimated once the Xmas crowds hit them. I am not out until a week on Thursday but that is starting to come into the range where the lack of snow on the horizon is a tad worrying. The various ensembles on the weather thread do offer some hope - but hope rather than expectation. Again it looks like Cervinia has a better chance of getting something. Fine by me - as long as the winds play nicely and let us over.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wont be out until the end of Jan so hopefully that allows for a bit of a storm to hit..will be amazing if we go 8-10 weeks with nothing falling from the sky.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the past day the snow-forecast.com has gone from predicting 1m to 35cm to 16cm to 0cm for 6-9 days. How is that possible?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The area of high pressure over the Alps currently is being teased by two areas of low pressure, one over the Med and the other coming across from Ukraine et al.

Just need to hold tight and wait and see. Snow-Forecast is hideously unreliable as it is so it needs to be showing snow in 48 hours for there to be some chance really.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Made the most of the low winds today and headed over to Cervinia. Piste 7 was in pretty good shape until just above the town. Pistes above Plan Maison / Plan Torrette were generally very pleasant to ski, with a combination of reasonable snow, empty slopes and sunshine. Lunch at Chalet Etoile was excellent.

@JohnMo, I think you're spot on with skier numbers. The stuff low down is sketchy this week, with hardly anyone on it. It's going to be grim next week if there isn't a top up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back in Cervinia today, enjoying the sunshine and decent snow. Last day tomorrow, which will just be a quick blast round a few Zermatt pistes before I have to leave at lunchtime.

Chatting to a few locals, nobody seems to think there'll be fresh snow in the next week or two. Hope that turns out to be wrong and the Christmas visitors get some fresh stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt/snow-report just not worth following. It says there will be 75cm in 3-6 days? It has changed a lot over the past few days so guessing that its very changeable weather at the moment?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well for tomorrow they are opening up the red that goes via Tufteren and the runs down into town from the Rothorn/Sunnegga side. Those who like their apres ski at the Cervo will be pleased. The home run will be entirely artificial snow of course. They are also opening the red from Gifthitlli down to Riffelberg. Finally a piste on Schwarzsee from the Hornli lift is to open. I guess that is our lot for Christmas week. Pretty good but not going to be the quality we were hoping for when things were looking so good at the end of November. Shouldn't complain of course because combined with all the stuff open on the Cervinia side there is more than enough to have a great time. I imagine that, like last year, we might be seeing the buses coming up the valley from less fortunate lower resorts.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mk28 wrote:
Is www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt/snow-report just not worth following. It says there will be 75cm in 3-6 days? It has changed a lot over the past few days so guessing that its very changeable weather at the moment?

You need to look at the weather outlook thread on this site. Snow Forecast takes one computer projection and presents it as a "forecast". On the weather thread they show all the projections. If they all suggest the same outcome then there is a decent chance that will happen. If they are all over the place then any one projection had very little chance of being right. In any case as you get further away from a couple of days in the future you really shouldn't be placing much reliance on anything.

So Snow Forecadt saying what will happen in 3-6 days has a fairly low chance of being right.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arrived in Zermatt yesterday evening for a 3-day trip, no snow at resort level. Blue skies and no wind this morning. Headed straight over to the Italian side. The pistes of Cervinia and Valtournenche are in good condition. Loved it. No one was venturing off-piste though, too crusty. Back on the Swiss side by mid-afternoon. Again pistes in good condition and snow cannons blasting. Played around up high before the home run back down to resort level, which had some ice patches but nothing too severe. Will explore the Swiss side more tomorrow. Forecasts suggest more of the same conditions for the next couple of days. Can't complain.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The reality is different to what they said last night. They have not opened the runs into town from the Sunnegga side. But they have opened the black run from Blauherd down to Patrularve which is great.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A couple of days of heavy snowfall now forecasted. Starts tomorrow afternoon!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skidm wrote:
A couple of days of heavy snowfall now forecasted. Starts tomorrow afternoon!

Very good news indeed. The area of low pressure coming off the Med 'should' give the Italian side a thrashing and 'fingers crossed' spill over into Zermatt.

As with all these things it's in the hands of the weather gods! Very pleased to see 248km of runs open I'm still waiting for my all time favourite to come online....looks like Hohtalii is taking longer than previously thought to get up and running?
snow conditions
Run28 wrote:
Very pleased to see 248km of runs open I'm still waiting for my all time favourite to come online....looks like Hohtalii is taking longer than previously thought to get up and running?

The run from Hohtälli over to Riffelberg is open but I assume you mean the run down from Hohtälli to Gant. I agree it is strange that that is not open. There is certainly plenty of snow at that height and it is north facing. It is a really good run. Hopefully it will open soon.
snow conditions
@JohnMo, I do indeed! Last year in Jan it had brilliant conditions after the New Year dump of snow. Looks like the snow rolling in off the Med is going to give the valley a bit of a top up. The Sunnegga webcam is slightly too brown for my liking!
latest report
I am getting very excited about the clouds building up in Italy at present that over the course of Monday and more so Tuesday should push up to the border and hopefully over it. Most projections are now suggesting some Tuesday snow, which will be very welcome. Cervinia is going to do better than Zermatt again. I can see an Italian dominated Christmas and New Year.
snow report
These sites that try to predict snowfall (particularly over 6 days!) are mainly nonsensical. Anyone who reads the weather outlook thread on this site will understand why. However it is still good fun when we see ourselves coming second and third in the snow forcast (after our neighbours in Monte Rosa, to whom we might be linked in a few years time):

http://wepowder.com/forecast
snow conditions
Looks like Zermatt struck out on this storm.
ski holidays
Ptspeak wrote:
Looks like Zermatt struck out on this storm.

The town did unfortunately. However the mountains, particularly those in the south, got snow. Cervinia seems to have got a fair bit and it is still ongoing for a few hours more. I am not out until Thursday and not on the slopes until Friday so I don't know how well it has affected the pistes. Anything is welcom of course.

It was (and indeed still is) frustrating watching the Meteo Swiss radar projections. You could see the precipitation push up North West across Italy towards Zermatt but those pesky mountains kept getting in the way. That is one of the reasons I am optimistic about Cervinia.
snow conditions
Aww man, look at the snow on this link! First thing Friday I am up to the border and skiing straight over to Cervinia.

https://www.facebook.com/BreuilCerviniaValtournenche/
latest report
Lots of snowfall in Cervinia throughout today
Still falling lightly now. Very Happy
snow conditions
downhilldai wrote:

How about Valtournenche? 'THREE BOMBARELLOS!'
latest report
After looking at all the forecast threads last night, we're now booked for Inghams Chalet Hotel Dragon for 07/01/17. The snow in Cervinia looks miles better than on the French Alp side that we'd normally gravitate to. So I'll be watching this thread with growing interest.
latest report
stevew wrote:
After looking at all the forecast threads last night, we're now booked for Inghams Chalet Hotel Dragon for 07/01/17. The snow in Cervinia looks miles better than on the French Alp side that we'd normally gravitate to. So I'll be watching this thread with growing interest.

Nice, I'm booked in there for the week before. Very Happy
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
downhilldai wrote:

How about Valtournenche? 'THREE BOMBARELLOS!'

Passed that bar earlier and had a chuckle! I can honestly say with a fair degree of certainty that I'd never been down that run before.....
ski holidays
Grim over in Zermatt today, Doubt I'll be crossing back over there again this week. Cervinia is excellent in comparison.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Long run down into Valtournenche had excellent cover all the way down. Great snow throughout the valley.
snow report
First day skiing today and so went over to Cervinia as it has been having much better snow, including some recent good stuff that didn't make it over to the Swiss side. Cervinia is a great place at this time of year as it gets the direct sun all day long. While that is a disadvantage in the spring it is a big plus in midwinter.

Anyone who has booked Cervinia for the holiday season has really hit lucky. While much of the Alps are complaining about poor conditions Cervinia is in near perfect condition. Both in Cervinia and Valtournenche there is even a decent amount of only semi skied stuff just off the pistes which was really nice. I suspect this weekend might see all of that sliced up though - but the excellent pistes should hold up well. As @downhilldai says even the home run down to Valtournenche is in good shape. It is mainly artificial stuff but at least all the surrounding scenery is white which aesthetically is more pleasing.

I am not sure I'd agree with @downhilldai that the Zermatt side is "grim". It is certainly nowhere near as good as Cervinia but the upper slopes are in good shape. It all gets a bit sad lower down - skiing on 100% artificial stuff with brown either side. Xmas Zermatt town with no snow on the ground is going to seem odd as well.
snow report
Just leaving Zermatt now. The snow cover I thought was fantastic throughout Zermatt and Cervinia especially considering the state the rest of the alps are in. The home run to Furi and on to Zermatt is in bad condition but I thought most of the runs up higher were in great shape. The whole area is in better overall shape than Val Disere was in Feb 2013 and 2014
snow conditions
Got stuck in the gondola from Plan Maison to Cime Bianchi today......
Great job by the rescue crews though.
Missed out on half a day's skiing Sad
ski holidays
Yikes! This incident? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38429800

Over the mountain in monterosa much closed due to wind at the moment and nobody's even eaten any Brussels sprouts yet Toofy Grin
latest report
belette wrote:
Yikes! This incident? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38429800

Good grief. I was on the gondola heading up to do the Ventina. The wind was so bad I worried about them having to close the link. So instead of skiing the Ventina I headed back into Switzerland. Looks like I dodged a bullet.
ski holidays
Yes, that was us! Lots of lifts closed today rolling eyes
snow conditions
@downhilldai,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=128880&highlight=&sid=a1a19cd9a8a024a4706277a39b9a7439
ski holidays
downhilldai wrote:
Yes, that was us! Lots of lifts closed today rolling eyes

You certainly had an eventful time. Pleased everyone got down OK. Even when I got off that lift yesterday and headed back over to Switzerland the wind was nowhere near as bad - bit surprising as it was a northerly. Today they got all the Swiss lifts running except those up by the Italian border.
snow report
Awesome report, with some amazing photos showing some great conditions. One more top up should see me and @Run28, and our gangs an amazing time.

http://www.skiforum.it/forum/showthread.php?t=86326
snow report
@scotspikey, great find. Been watching the webcams/reports/weather thread with great interest over the festive period. All a bit doom and gloom on this thread up above - the conditions at the mid level (where most the the runs are) look pretty good. But I agree - a top up is greatly needed all over Europe. Let's hope we get it in sooner rather than later.
ski holidays
I know this is not a weather question but on my first trip to Cervina in just under 4 weeks. If I go over to Zermatt and buy anything over there will they take Euros, or should I have some Francs with me?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy