Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
I just keep wondering why they close down those lifts?
Maybe MeteoMorris knows the answer...
http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/233198
http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/232920
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
250 cm's cumulative snowfall for Indren, the top station for Alagna and Gressoney, according to always trustworthy Wink www.snow-forecast.com
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Gressoney/6day/top
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Th big opening today and lots of pistes in all sectors are open. Cervinia has had the best of the snow and even runs down into town are open. As usual the town runs into Zermatt are not yet open. Somewhat surprisingly the section from Riffelberg down to Furi is not open. I can't imagine why that might be the case. It cuts off the Gornergrat mountain from Klein Matterhorn and the rest of the south (other than by taking the lift down).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm now here on the ground in Cervinia, too late for any skiing today but there seems to be good coverage right down to the centre of town. By all accounts last week whilst snowy was a near whiteout most of the time but the weather seems to be clearing for me to try it out this coming week Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Meant to say the home runs (at least some of them) were open and saw quite a few doing a bit of cross country skiing on the outskirts of town.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone update on conditions today?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes - they're fantastic! Very Happy

I'm with the Warren Smith group here this week. It's my first time to this area so not that familiar with the pistes but we went up to Plateau Rosa and over onto the Zermatt side, skied up and down to Trockner Step for quite a while - snow lovely and squeaky all around there.

Up to the very top and skied back to Plateau Rosa from there where the snow was decent but had become quite mogully.

Then down towards Valtourneche direction before going back towards Cervinia. Good snow all round with the exception of it getting a bit hard towards town. Very fine conditions for late November. Looking forward to tomorrow!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cervinia saying they have had twelve thousand people on the slopes this weekend. That is pretty impressive for November.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
55 days. not counting.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JohnMo, it did feel pretty busy today. Instructors reckoned -and I'm sure they're right - that there were a lot of locals taking advantage of the good conditions. Must say quite a few of them seemed to be absolute nutters, screaming between and past people unnecessarily and often not entirely in control...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
22 days until im there. First time cannot wait!!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another glorious day, blue skies and sunshine and even more importantly nice quiet pistes as the weekend crowds disappeared.

First thing skied down from hotel then took chairs up high to ski back down to Plan Maison to meet the group, literally no one else on lovely fresh pistes, glorious! Bottom was getting a bit icy on our home run at the end of the day, not too surprised as looked like a bit of melt in the afternoon before freezing solid again as the sun got lower. Due to be getting slightly colder next couple of days which may prevent melt lower down ... could be bloody freezing up top, adding some extra spare layers in the backpack tomorrow.

All in all fabulous conditions, amazing for end November, I do seem to have totally lucked out Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rowlski, you really have picked a fantastic opening weekend / week to be out there! Very jealous. Few friends have been Apres'ing at Chalet Etoile and they say its been a fantastic few long lunches there!

Anyone have a inkling on when the wider resort will start to open? Thinking of those back red, blue and black on Rothorn and the Hohtalii (White Hare) etc runs?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Run28, I've heard Chalet Etoile is good but haven't got there yet, one to try.

Was down as far as the bottom of Furgg today on the Zermatt side and the snow was a bit hard, tending towards icy, definitely not as good as the same altitude on the Cervinia side. There are a few Rothorn runs open I think but suspect they'll need more snow to get the rest open.

Bitterly cold on last run of the day back to the hotel around 4.30, now looks like the forecast has changed and it's due to get a bit warmer weds / Thurs. Will be fine higher up but guessing may be a bit slushy down low by end of the day with freezing level around 3000m...

Edited as my phone decided Rothorn ought to be Rotherham Very Happy
snow conditions
Chalet Etoile a must - Fish soup!!

Also Bontadini at the top- again excellent.
ski holidays
Run28 wrote:
@Rowlski,
Anyone have a inkling on when the wider resort will start to open? Thinking of those back red, blue and black on Rothorn and the Hohtalii (White Hare) etc runs?

I don't know what the policy is. From observation I would say that they try to hit the full area opening day (which they invariably seem to do). Then they try to open up as many pistes as possible for Xmas week. I am not sure if that would mean 17th or 24th this year with Xmas being a Sunday - I hope the former as I am back out by then. However there doesn't seem a huge rush to open stuff up between the initial opening and the full Xmas opening. At present no snow is on the horizon so there will be no or few new pistes opened in the next week or so I'd have thought.
snow report
Well today was very windy, still blue skies and sunshine but a lot of snow being transported around by the wind. Not so windy though that we couldn't get over to the Zermatt side and down to bottom of Furgg again. Sad to say that whilst the piste to there was ok a LOT of snow had been stripped off the mountain in general.

Still good piste skiing but lots of rocks and mud showing through down around 2400 Zermatt side. Wind as strong on Cervinia and it had lost some snow but conditions still good - assuming you didn't mind the feeling of being sand blasted on exposed slopes.

Last day tomorrow Sad As it is though we're trying out Chalet Etoile for lunch Smile
snow conditions
Rowlski wrote:
Well today was very windy, still blue skies and sunshine but a lot of snow being transported around by the wind. Not so windy though that we couldn't get over to the Zermatt side and down to bottom of Furgg again. Sad to say that whilst the piste to there was ok a LOT of snow had been stripped off the mountain in general.

Still good piste skiing but lots of rocks and mud showing through down around 2400 Zermatt side. Wind as strong on Cervinia and it had lost some snow but conditions still good - assuming you didn't mind the feeling of being sand blasted on exposed slopes.

Last day tomorrow Sad As it is though we're trying out Chalet Etoile for lunch Smile

One of the downsides to skiing at over 3,000+ meters! equals lots of wind sometimes! When we were there for Christmas in 2012, I was bummed to see 20cm of snow that fell the night before blow somewhere else in the Swiss Alps!! Always seemed to be lots of wind at the top crossing point between Italy and Switzerland.
ski holidays
Well this is the last of my on the spot reports, on my way home now boo hoo Crying or Very sad Warm again today and still pretty windy Cervinia side, most of Zermatt slopes seemed to be a bit sheltered.

Lovely days skiing again with blues skies and sunshine. Odd effect of "fresh" snow on many pistes Cervinia side due to the windblown snow which was actually rather enjoyable if a bit weird.

Ate at Chalet Etoile at lunch which was as good as it had been hyped to be. The Italians really do know how to do mountain food - great week of eating and drinking as well as the skiing!

Have been amazingly lucky for such an early season week, lots of skiing and great conditions - able to ski back to the hotel everyday - couldn't ask for more really! Still looking good for anyone coming out soon and looks like cooling down with some snow next week...
ski holidays
17 days. Hoping for lots of new snow before we get there
snow conditions
Whole load of new pistes opening today. But weirdly still not Riffelberg down to Furi. Kumme lift is now open. A good place to go and "hide" when it is busy as lots of people don't like the ancient open chair lift and the completely north facing aspect. Open up down to Patrullarve as well - but only via the red direct from Sunnegga and not the black National run.
ski holidays
@Rowlski, Good to hear Chalet Etoile was good - we'll be making a trip to the Italian side in the near future no doubt.

@JohnMo, its looking very calm on the horizon even for the 9 day 'extremely trustworthy' forecast on Snow-Forecast....hopefully we get a storm coming in before Xmas / NYE...would be nice to have Hohtalli down to Gant back up and running before we land in town.
ski holidays
Run28 wrote:

@JohnMo, its looking very calm on the horizon even for the 9 day 'extremely trustworthy' forecast on Snow-Forecast....hopefully we get a storm coming in before Xmas / NYE...would be nice to have Hohtalli down to Gant back up and running before we land in town.

I agree. I am watching the weather thread and Meteo Swiss addictively. Even with the caveats about lack of reliability more than a few days out there is nothing to give rise to any optimism.

I wouldn't worry too much about the runs opening (e.g. the Hohtälli to Gant one that you mention). I am pretty sure they'll get them open. I think they'll even get the runs into town open. The snowmaking should see to that - although it will mean the town runs will be very icy. The snow last year in November was good but not as good as this year's and we again had nothing in December but they managed to get the main stuff up and running. I am worried that once again the cross country skiing down in Täsch will not open for the Xmas/NY holdiay. That will be a real pity as such a high percentage of earnings are made in that period.
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
I am worried that once again the cross country skiing down in Täsch will not open for the Xmas/NY holdiay. That will be a real pity as such a high percentage of earnings are made in that period.

Interesting point, have to say never partaken in the cross country but things are looking decisively green below 1620m - I would have thought even with the most constant snow cannoning it would be hard to get the white stuff to stick around.

I dread to think that 2a (Reidweg) is going to be like if we don't see another dump on the horizon soon...that corner before the Cervo will be nasty. Although not important it is always nice to come into the town with snow all about...snow up the mountain more important but selfishly there is nothing better than seeing snow on the roof tops and around the town at Christmas.
snow report
Run28 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
I am worried that once again the cross country skiing down in Täsch will not open for the Xmas/NY holdiay. That will be a real pity as such a high percentage of earnings are made in that period.

Interesting point, have to say never partaken in the cross country but things are looking decisively green below 1620m - I would have thought even with the most constant snow cannoning it would be hard to get the white stuff to stick around.

I dread to think that 2a (Reidweg) is going to be like if we don't see another dump on the horizon soon...that corner before the Cervo will be nasty. Although not important it is always nice to come into the town with snow all about...snow up the mountain more important but selfishly there is nothing better than seeing snow on the roof tops and around the town at Christmas.

The cross country doesn't have snow cannons. They rely on natural stuff and as you say there will have to be a serious storm to get that up and running.

That corner above the Cervo which they put in for last season is the most ridiculous piece of piste making ever. I was walking past there a couple of months ago and had hoped they might have tried to do something with it but there seemed to be nothing doing.
latest report
Snow forecast dont have any snow due in the next 9 days. I find that quite worrying. Hoping for another dump as i get there in 2 weeks for 4 days. Fingers crossed Blush
ski holidays
Snow forecast dont have any snow due in the next 9 days. I find that quite worrying. Hoping for another dump as i get there in 2 weeks for 4 days. Fingers crossed Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mk28, Not to worry...the general consensus is on the Weather Thread that there is some sort of system coming in over the next 10-15 days. It should bring some unsettled weather....I'm keeping my snow fingers crossed that means the white stuff!
ski holidays
mk28 wrote:

As Run28 has just said I would follow the weather thread on here rather than sites like Snow Forecast. Noza posted the ensembles for Zermatt this morning. They show decent chance of snow from the middle of the month. Obviously anything more than a few days out shouldn't be taken as more than an indication of possibilities. So I apply a general rule that if is shows no snow I ignore it but if it shows chances of snow under some scenarios I get excited.

I get out about the same time as you so I am also snowdancing heavily. Thank goodness for those November storms.
snow conditions
On another note just had an email from the Hennu Stall - their opening party is still scheduled on time for this coming Thursday...hope everyone who is out there is getting their dancing boots ready.
latest report
@run28 @johnmo ok great thanks sorry havent seen the weather thread I'll be sure to check it out.
snow report
Run28 wrote:
On another note just had an email from the Hennu Stall - their opening party is still scheduled on time for this coming Thursday...hope everyone who is out there is getting their dancing boots ready.

Yep. The Zermatt social media guy is promoting the opening of that run into town this Thursday:

Quote:
Schon Pläne für's Wochenende?
Die längste Abfahrt der Welt wartet ab Donnerstag auf Dich:
25 km purer Pistenspass vom Matterhorn glacier paradise direkt ins Dorf - Traumwetter inklusive!

In order to go straight from the top of Klein Matterhorn all the way into town (as he suggests) they would have to open the black piste 69. It would be great if that was the case.

I am not sure about the "Traumwetter". My dream weather when I am not out there is permanent snowfall.
snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:

Yep. The Zermatt social media guy is promoting the opening of that run into town this Thursday:

Quote:
Schon Pläne für's Wochenende?
Die längste Abfahrt der Welt wartet ab Donnerstag auf Dich:
25 km purer Pistenspass vom Matterhorn glacier paradise direkt ins Dorf - Traumwetter inklusive!

In order to go straight from the top of Klein Matterhorn all the way into town (as he suggests) they would have to open the black piste 69. It would be great if that was the case.

Ooh. He lied! They opened the run into town from Furi but not black 69. The only way you can get from the top of Klein Matterhorn to town at present involves a lift up from Furgg to Schwarzsee. That is not a continuous run!
latest report
Good to see they finally opened 12 on Rothorn - wonder why they held off on that but got the blue and black running?
snow conditions
Looks like there is snow due in the next 6-9 days although snow forecast has downgraded the amount from 1metre to 35cm today. What are the conditions currently like? Can you ski down to resort level? 9 days until my first day on the slopes.
ski holidays
I cant see any snow due at all?
latest report
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt/snow-report
snow conditions
In Zermatt for a short visit, skiing today through to Thursday morning. Had a good day today, with reasonable snow on Gornergrat this morning and some pretty good stuff above Trockener Steg this afternoon. Pretty cold up top, but lots of blue sky. Too windy today for the links to Cervinia, but the locals tell me the forecast is better for tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

@mk28, Riffelberg to Furi is open (39/41/42?). The snow on it is OK at the moment. There's also a run down from Schwarzsee to Furi (52?). The snow on that is a bit more sketchy. Once you're at Furi, 50 is open back to Zermatt, but it's pretty unpleasant in places with patches of ice showing through. It was fine today with hardly a soul on it, but if it was busy I suspect there'd be carnage.
latest report
Thanks for the update @robmq enjoy your last few days
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy